New Additions

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Milan, you're almost my guilty conscience Lol.

Reactions: Lagonda

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Milan, this is Barry's system thread, but rest assured, I'm getting a good result across a range. And I'm glad Barry is emulating me as well.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Milan, this is Barry's system thread, but rest assured, I'm getting a good result across a range. And I'm glad Barry is emulating me as well.
He just has a "fat" setting on his dac, that he engages just for you ! ;) Bill probably has a special crossover for his speakers when you visit ! :) We all know you like them a little on the voluptuous side !:p

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Audiophile Bill

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
A host should always make his guest feel welcome. Cake, coffee, specially chosen assistants. He's still working on the latter.

What was fascinating today was that this was the first time Extreme didn't draw undue attention to itself. It was a way more musical presentation where resolution and warmth were in really good balance. TAS, USBdriver and USBcard were already doing a lot at the last visit to banish the overly forward previous presentation, and now the combination of new version preamp and King Sablon PCs were absolutely locking the centre of gravity re tonal density in the all important mids. A real vinyl-like vibe to proceedings today.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
He just has a "fat" setting on his dac, that he engages just for you ! ;) Bill probably has a special crossover for his speakers when you visit ! :) We all know you like them a little on the voluptuous side !:p
Most DACs could use a “fat” setting...they are so far from reality that fat is what they need...

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Most DACs could use a “fat” setting...they are so far from reality that fat is what they need...
But how would you be able to sell your tube amps then Brad ! ;)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Back and forth, sums up the hobby
Should I/shouldn't I
Maybe/maybe not
What the Hell!/oh, Hell!
Lol/lol NOT!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
And there was me thinking I was discussing the dualism seemingly hard wired into humans, and thus this hobby.
All the while, the truth was...daisies.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
I thought to start a new thread, Unnatural Sound, but didn’t want to ruffle any feathers.

Here‘s 2 YouTube videos of Peggy Lee - Fever you may want to compare with PeterA’s. I won’t say what the difference is between them but you may like to comment. I’m expecting a 50/50 split with some disliking both and preferring the Natural Sound. Feel free to say it how you here it, I’ve got thicker skin than Marc

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Any chance one is the Java V1, the other V2?

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
The second one to me is more "correct" even if it sounds a bit "hollow"

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Honestly I can scarcely believe they are the same recording lol. First one is heavily damped like it sounds in a very dry studio. Second has a shed load of reverb.
I personally prefer the 2nd as it sounds more like what I imagine a large nightclub to sound like where I might imagine this saucy song occurred lol.
Now what I would love to know is where the original was actually recorded because that shit load of reverb is either real or “the room” (absence of absorption that was there in the first).

Best.

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
The voice is close-miked so it should not have that much "echo" and the drums are in the back of the studio... for what i know of this recording is that everything can be pinpointed very clearly here. So it good for testing...

Peggy Lee - Fever (Official Video) - YouTube

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
The voice is close-miked so it should not have that much "echo" and the drums are in the back of the studio... for what i know of this recording is that everything can be pinpointed very clearly here. So it good for testing...

Close mic’d won’t mean much if there was deliberate reverb added on the mic of course. As I am intimating above, if this was a studio recording with *no added reverb* then the 2nd recording whilst enjoyable is not accurate as it is largely the room just playing along with the recording.

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
Some reverb is maybe added. It can be heard on the link i added...

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Any thoughts compared to the vinyl on the Vitavox?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Any thoughts compared to the vinyl on the Vitavox?

Hi Barry,

In *very* broad terms, the 2nd of your videos has a little more in common mainly due to the commonality of loads of reverb. Perhaps that is because Peter’s room is totally untreated and your 2nd vid you removed traps?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing