Brand new

odeek9

Jun 14, 2023
Hello-First off, this is my first post, I am not an audiophile, and quite frankly am an old man who doesn't belong here-but what the Hell? I do know what sounds good and to my unqualified ears my system seems lacking-yet I can't tell where. I have not a high end system for as I said I'm old and what I didn't mention is that I'm relatively poor. But I love traveling within to my years long gone by. And my stereo achieves this.

Some basic advice would be appreciated. I have a Denon AVRST receiver, Phillips CD player with 6 Polk and Sony speakers. I live in a cabin in the country and don't require a mega system, My setup does sound good but I would like your thoughts on what would make it sound crisper and of more clarity. Without sending me to the nether regions of the poor house. Any thoughts please? And thanks

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Welcome. First place to start? Well, given how you've succinctly described your targets, start with everything you can do that is free.

- how is your system physically set up in the room?
- it is surprising how clarity can be lost due to the setup resulting in the room 'swallowing up' detail, or boominess in bass that clouds over detail from the bass bouncing around in the corners of the room or where you listen
- It is also surprising how isolating equipment (particularly your speakers) from vibration can also help create crisper performance.
- Cinderblocks actually make great speaker stands if you are ok with the looks...they are solid, dont have a singular grain (cement is all mixed up, literally) which means you get a nice solid non-uniform block that works well to isolate speakers

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing