Neutral Or Warm Headphones?

EDLIU

Jun 30, 2017
I listen to Classical and Musicals, should I get a open back headphone that's "neutral" or "warm"?

Thanks.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Hell no to audeze unless you like it a bit warm and flabby bass. for me you want a neutral headphone and amp combo. Then you can play with source and cables to adjust tone. also if you are playing digital you can use player volume and dac vol or dac into pre amp to adjust tone n weight.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I stay with my Senn HD600. Not the last word in anything. They are comfortable which is number 1 on the list. I am tempted to try focal clear but it can wait for post covid.

I would say your headphone must be comfortable first. If they don't fit great and you can’t listen without moving them due to weight or hotspots it’s a no go.

EDLIU

Jun 30, 2017
Hell no to audeze unless you like it a bit warm and flabby bass. for me you want a neutral headphone and amp combo. Then you can play with source and cables to adjust tone. also if you are playing digital you can use player volume and dac vol or dac into pre amp to adjust tone n weight.

I think I need a neutral headphone but without a DAC.

I read a review about Audeze LCD-1(https://www.headfonia.com/audeze-lcd-1-review/). In the review, the author said that "do not use Audeze LCD-1 with smart phones". But that's the reason I'm getting a new headphone.

So should I get a Audeze LCD-1, or other headphones such as the Sennheiser HD 660 S?

Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I think I need a neutral headphone but without a DAC.

I read a review about Audeze LCD-1(https://www.headfonia.com/audeze-lcd-1-review/). In the review, the author said that "do not use Audeze LCD-1 with smart phones". But that's the reason I'm getting a new headphone.

So should I get a Audeze LCD-1, or a Sennheiser HD 650 S?

Any advice is appreciated.
Do not purchase either of these headphones if you are using a smartphone to drive them. You need a very different headphone designed to be driven by a smartphone.

EDLIU

Jun 30, 2017
Do not purchase either of these headphones if you are using a smartphone to drive them. You need a very different headphone designed to be driven by a smartphone.
I use an old iPhone 6 Plus. What kind of headphone should I get for my smart phone?

Thanks.

EDLIU

Jun 30, 2017
The impedance for Audeze LCD-1 is only 16 ohms. Besides that, can I use a DAC with the smart phone?

Thanks.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
The new Beyerdynamic T5 third generation is well received and is designed for what you might be seeking. Good luck with your selection.

EDLIU

Jun 30, 2017
I'm thinking about getting myself an Audeze LCD-1(and maybe a Chord Mojo) to listen to music(Classical and Musicals) from my iPhone. Is that a good choice?

Thanks.

EDLIU

Jun 30, 2017
That should work fine. Especially If you add the Chord Mojo. Good choices.
The review mentioned something about "source". I do not know what it means. Is it the iPhone in my case? What other "sources" are there that can store digital music(ripped from my CD collection)?

BTW, do you know any reviews that talk about using "Audeze LCD-1 and Chord Mojo"?

Thanks.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
The source is the device that outputs the music from files, discs, tapes or vinyl lp records. In your case the phone is part the source as it would store the files. If you use the Chord Mojo, the phone would output a digital signal to the dac and the dac would convert the digital to analog output. The analog output would be connected to the headphones for sound/music you can enjoy!

EDLIU

Jun 30, 2017
In the review for Sennheiser HD 660 S(https://www.headfonia.com/review-sennheiser-hd660-s/), the author said that: "I have to say I was positively surprised with how musical the HD660 S sounded straight from my laptop". Why is that? Should I get a Sennheiser HD 660 S instead of the Audeze LCD-1(and Chord Mojo)?

Besides, should I get a Hugo2 or Mojo?

Thanks.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
If I had not bought the Sennheiser 650 on a super-good deal which includes the Apogee digital DAC, I could easily see myself going for the 660. Great value for money...but I cannot say I have heard the Audeze. I am not a big headhphone person.

Has anyone heard this one: Sony MDR-Z1R? The only reason I am looking is that it is closed-back which means if my wife is studying, then at least it is SILENT rather than open-backed where she can still hear. Normally, we play thru the system, and it is fine but every once in a while (particularly just before exams) it helps for her to have silence.

Thanks for any advice on this one.

EDLIU

Jun 30, 2017

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing