Network Acoustics - Tempus network switch

jasond

Aug 18, 2022
Jasond, I’ve ordered a Tempus, Muon Pro Streaming kit plus an extra Muon Ethernet cable, as an upgrade (I hope) to my PhoenixNet and Audioquest Diamond Ethernet cables. As you mentioned having experience with other switches, are you able to comment on any differences between the PhoenixNET and the Tempus/Muon Pro kit? I’m hoping it will be a touch less dark, add more dimension, air, upper frequency detail and improve timing and flow, all of the qualities Christiaan references in his review you linked, but not sure if I should expect improvements in these areas coming from a PhoenixNET…. I’m feeding my Zenith Mk3 / PhoenixUSB / Tambaqui.
Great decision! You will definitely hear an improvement. I also had the PhoenixNet and a number of other switches, but the Tempus stood out in making the music more natural, flowing, analog like - yet providing such a level of detail and an insight into music.

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
I'm very curious about your thoughts, as an owner of PhoenixNET (and Innuos server + software) and looking forward to receiving a Tempus unit at home to evaluate soon (next few weeks).
I'm eager to try it following the other rave reviews, I’m a big fan of Network Acoustic approach.

The SFP ports are intriguing too, both for very promising “future products” and for current router connection, even though Rob told me that the latter still sounds better using Ethernet cables.

Reactions: PYP and jasond

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
I'm very curious about your thoughts, as an owner of PhoenixNET (and Innuos server + software) and looking forward to receiving a Tempus unit at home to evaluate soon (next few weeks).
I'm eager to try it following the other rave reviews, I’m a big fan of Network Acoustic approach.

Very interested in hear your comparison of PN vs Tempus.
When I use PN + Muon (non-pro) together, I get some response time slowing and occasional data drops; thinking if I substituted the PN for Tempus this may be different.

Reactions: luca.pelliccioli

nyev

Feb 24, 2023
When I use PN + Muon (non-pro) together, I get some response time slowing and occasional data drops; thinking if I substituted the PN for Tempus this may be different.

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
and if you take out the PN you don't get the drops? In other words, you have isolated the problem to a combination of the two. Just curious since I've been thinking about trying the PN.

Ampman

Apr 30, 2023
Sweden
Sorry for the delayed question...
@fast.freight please could you help to explain the differences between Tempus and the SwitchX system you had a demo with previously.
Which one did you prefer?
I'm very interested in both and am looking to replace my EtherREGEN. Already using Muon Pro which works great.
Thank you!

F208Frank

Mar 27, 2020
New York
Sorry for the delayed question...
@fast.freight please could you help to explain the differences between Tempus and the SwitchX system you had a demo with previously.
Which one did you prefer?
I'm very interested in both and am looking to replace my EtherREGEN. Already using Muon Pro which works great.
Thank you!
If having the muon pro Id lean towards tempus.

Ampman

Apr 30, 2023
Sweden
If having the muon pro Id lean towards tempus.
Hi Frank
Not so sure about that I suspect the SwitchX may be better which is why I'm interested in @fast.freight 's feedback.
I love the NA products but am also aware of Apple TVX and have respect for the guy who builds these items and the thinking behind his switch.
Muon Pro works great with many different switches and I'm not aware of any specific synergy.
Unless of course you are talking from experience and have tried SwitchX yourself and can give a comparison...
Thanks

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
Hi Frank
Not so sure about that I suspect the SwitchX may be better which is why I'm interested in @fast.freight 's feedback.
I love the NA products but am also aware of Apple TVX and have respect for the guy who builds these items and the thinking behind his switch.
Muon Pro works great with many different switches and I'm not aware of any specific synergy.
Unless of course you are talking from experience and have tried SwitchX yourself and can give a comparison...
Thanks
Any concerns that the SwitchX is a mod? If the unit fails in the future, will there be a replacement he can use? Not trying to debate the relevancy or quality of the work he is doing. Seems he is doing a brisk business, so perhaps that is the answer -- many folks aren't concerned about a modded switch.

Ampman

Apr 30, 2023
Sweden
Certainly a very fair point.
I'm not someone who is participating in or even necessarily a big fan of modding but for some reason this guy seems to think differently and address some important issues.
If a reliable brand built their own along the same lines that sounds as good then I would choose the safe route (as long as I don't need to change streamer and router as well).
I do trust Mikrotik as a switch manufacturer though.
At this stage I'm trying to decide which are the two or three most likely candidates for a new switch that will not have me itching to change again in a year or two.
And I really want to know if SwitchX is that much better than the NA to warrant taking the risk.

Reactions: PYP

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
Certainly a very fair point.
I'm not someone who is participating in or even necessarily a big fan of modding but for some reason this guy seems to think differently and address some important issues.
If a reliable brand built their own along the same lines that sounds as good then I would choose the safe route (as long as I don't need to change streamer and router as well).
I do trust Mikrotik as a switch manufacturer though.
At this stage I'm trying to decide which are the two or three most likely candidates for a new switch that will not have me itching to change again in a year or two.
And I really want to know if SwitchX is that much better than the NA to warrant taking the risk.
Is complexity of setup an issue for you? NA seems plug-n-play with no additional equipment needed. SwitchX requires separate wifi gear and dedicated iPad. I'm not referring to cost or the ability to set it up, but your preference for simplicity of operation. Just curious.

Am interested in both of these as well, but the NA Muon Pro (passive) sounds very good in my setup (assuming it is related to the Grimm's ability to reject noise too) and it seems to me that switches do indeed have a sound that is contributed/imposed on the setup. My theory is that all or part of that sound signature is actually the LPS that powers them. But that is just a theory based upon some observations in my own setup.

jasond

Aug 18, 2022
When developing the Tempus NA has been evaluating all current top switches. And they put years of research in it. I can absolutely agree on the Hifi-advice review that the power supply not only plays a vital role, rather it’s even best when it’s completely individually developed for the sole purpose of the switch.
Thus and many other innovative ideas that went into the Tempus made it the perfect device for me. And so far I haven’t come across any better sounding switch.

Reactions: F208Frank

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
When developing the Tempus NA has been evaluating all current top switches. And they put years of research in it. I can absolutely agree on the Hifi-advice review that the power supply not only plays a vital role, rather it’s even best when it’s completely individually developed for the sole purpose of the switch.
Thus and many other innovative ideas that went into the Tempus made it the perfect device for me. And so far I haven’t come across any better sounding switch.

Exactly the reason why I'm really curious about a direct A/B with the Innuos PhoenixNet, which is also based on a very solid power supply. That seems to be the, if not one of the, most critical aspects to decreasing noise.

Bottom line, though, is that none of these companies make their own network board. It's all modifications to different degrees of commercially-available network components, so we're somewhat limited to that application...

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
Bottom line, though, is that none of these companies make their own network board. It's all modifications to different degrees of commercially-available network components, so we're somewhat limited to that application...
I agree, except for the EtherRegen, which was purposely designed for audio, and has features not available elsewhere. Add your favourite power supply, it competes with anything on the market.
I have compared the ER with Teddy Pardo PSU to a Silent Angel N16 and LHY SW-10, in my system and a friend's. It bests both. No, I have not tried a Tempus.

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
anyone heard the Totaldac d1-switch?
Specifications:
-4 internally chained ethernet switches to lower the jitter 4 times
-well known Totaldac live-power linear power supply, with a dedicated winding for the oscillator
-mechanical isolator
-gigabit ethernet for fast copies of files to the NAS/server/core and 100Mbit ethernet for the streamer output for the best sound
-OCXO oscillator with professional clock distribution
-4 layer PCB, made in Germany
-EMC filtering and damping

Like the PhoenixNET, the d-1 is made for audio connections. The Tempus seems to be made to handle all network traffic. Just different approaches to the same problem of noise. The SwitchX has a clean (audio) and dirty (everything else) side.

Reactions: Ampman

jasond

Aug 18, 2022
I agree, except for the EtherRegen, which was purposely designed for audio, and has features not available elsewhere. Add your favourite power supply, it competes with anything on the market.
I have compared the ER with Teddy Pardo PSU to a Silent Angel N16 and LHY SW-10, in my system and a friend's. It bests both. No, I have not tried a Tempus.
I was one of the first to receive the Etherregen and it is a fantastic device (used it with all upgrades like SR Purple fuse and Furutech inlet as well as a Audioquest Monsoon power cord). Though comparing it to the Tempus showcased there is still a lot which can improve. Sure it’s a different price range, but great to see what’s possible.

octaviars

Mar 2, 2020
Bottom line, though, is that none of these companies make their own network board.

To me it looks like Innuos makes the switchboard by them self.

181534301-origpic-15f3ab.jpg

Reactions: PYP and keithc

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
Is complexity of setup an issue for you? NA seems plug-n-play with no additional equipment needed. SwitchX requires separate wifi gear and dedicated iPad. I'm not referring to cost or the ability to set it up, but your preference for simplicity of operation. Just curious.

From what I understand, the iPad/music controller client connected to the 'clean' side of SwitchX can still have access to the internet. So while inconvenient, it's not like the 'iPad' cannot be used for typical internet functions.

Ampman

Apr 30, 2023
Sweden
Complexity within reason and not too many extra boxes please...

Ultimately sound benefit is the main goal and then how many different aspects that really make a difference can/should be taken into account.
Power supply, quality of switch components and board absolutely essential of course. Most do it now.

But how much improvement can other aspects such as separation from traffic on the non-audio networks, minimised use of wifi and universal SFP cages make?

This is where some designs are now starting to look more interesting as long as they really do sound better.

NA is definitely along the right lines as is I suspect the SwitchX guy.

Reactions: PYP

jasond

Aug 18, 2022
That’s what I also appreciate very much about the Tempus that you get a carefree/all incl. package. No worries about power supply or DC cable (both is already reference level and tailored), you get 1GB/s, 100mb/s slots as well as SFPs.
To go up another notch there is also the Muon Pro streaming system to include which I went for too.
Having invested years before in trying out so many components and noise reducing approaches I am very glad to experience this solution.

Reactions: Ampman and PYP

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing