NAT Magma M?

R1ver_rat

Jan 6, 2024
San Bernardino, CA
Hello all,
I'm new to this forum and referred by Mike over at 11stereo.com. I currently own mostly Primluna gear. I want to upgrade to tube monoblocks and am curious about the NAT Magma M monoblocks. My question. And or fear of pulling the trigger is when I audition my current speaker, Wharfedale Elysian 4, they were hooked up to Dan Angostino amps. Though the speakers sounded good, I found myself constantly turning up the volume to get more speed and and openness. Still bit the bullet on the speakers. Hot home and hooked them up to my Primaluna and WOW, much better. It was like someone took the blanket off the front of the speakers. It sounded much better. Only negative compared to the Dan agnosticism was in the accuracy in the instruments and little less of a soundstage. I am wanting momoblocks that will give me the drive and forward or brightness the Primaluna gives me, but with better Soundstage,, depth and accuracy of the instruments. Would the NAT Magma M achieve this? Or are they too laid back for already laid back speakers.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Member Thundersnow is your go-to man for an opinion. I'm happy to help re impressions on Nat SQ, being a happy owner myself.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Member Thundersnow is your go-to man for an opinion. I'm happy to help re impressions on Nat SQ, being a happy owner myself.
I second that advise - Uros aka @Thundersnow is your man for this question and funny enough had Agostino mono blocks before Magmas with different speakers of course...

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021
Having owned both the stereo and mono Momentum D’Ags, I can tell you that the Magmas are about as far from laid back you will find in tube amps — not talking about tone, but raw speed of transients and the recreation of the. sound stage. I’ve done a direct comparison while stil owning Coltrane 3 speakers and having Magma M and D’Ag Momentum M400 at the time — D’Ags sounded simply too slouchy and somewhat veiled compared to the Magmas. Hope that helps.

R1ver_rat

Jan 6, 2024
San Bernardino, CA
Having owned both the stereo and mono Momentum D’Ags, I can tell you that the Magmas are about as far from laid back you will find in tube amps — not talking about tone, but raw speed of transients and the recreation of the. sound stage. I’ve done a direct comparison while stil owning Coltrane 3 speakers and having Magma M and D’Ag Momentum M400 at the time — D’Ags sounded simply too slouchy and somewhat veiled compared to the Magmas. Hope that helps.
Thank you!! I'm happy to hear that you felt reh same way about the voicing of the Dan Angostino amps. I already have laid back speakers, Wharfedale Elysian 4, and I need an amp with more speed, dynamics, and a little brighter on the top end.

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021
Just a quick side note, NATs are extended and accurate but not bright in the top end.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing