My latest refurbishments

cytovette

Aug 17, 2023
Alabama, USA
I am a new member and this is my first real post, other than the intro thread.
My main hobby is refurbishing non-working gear or building from scratch.
I just completed repairing this JVC TD-V711 cassette tape deck (JVCs 1988 attempt to compete with the Nakamichi Dragon) that had been dropped and severly damaged. I hade to rebuild a door, repair pulled traces on the PCB and a broken control shaft. I changed the outdated CMOS switches and some opamps for more modern versions. It sounds fantastic now. The frequency response is within +- 0.6db from 250hz to 14khz, there is a +2db hump at 63hz but the service manual calls for that.
I also have a video on my Youtube channel of the repair (not monetized)
JVClr (1).jpg

I also just completed repairing this 1971 Teac A-4070 reel to reel deck, this retailed for $740 in 1971! This was the most complicated refurbishment I have ever done and it took me 6 months. I got it from a friend for $20 with no functions working except power up. I have not made a video for it yet.

Teaclr.jpg

Reactions: Pokey77

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome to WBF, cytovette! It is amazing to me that you can repair these components!

cytovette

Aug 17, 2023
Alabama, USA
Welcome to WBF, cytovette! It is amazing to me that you can repair these components!
Thanks, although I work in lab medicine I did spent 2 years in electronics school in the 70s. I use what I learned to build and repair audio gear for my own amusement. I am semi-retired and only work one day per week now and enjoying every minute of my free time.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Very impressive!

I never graduated beyond building Heathkits -- following the instructions!

Reactions: cytovette

Pokey77

Feb 16, 2022
I am a new member and this is my first real post, other than the intro thread.
My main hobby is refurbishing non-working gear or building from scratch.
I just completed repairing this JVC TD-V711 cassette tape deck (JVCs 1988 attempt to compete with the Nakamichi Dragon) that had been dropped and severly damaged. I hade to rebuild a door, repair pulled traces on the PCB and a broken control shaft. I changed the outdated CMOS switches and some opamps for more modern versions. It sounds fantastic now. The frequency response is within +- 0.6db from 250hz to 14khz, there is a +2db hump at 63hz but the service manual calls for that.
I also have a video on my Youtube channel of the repair (not monetized)
View attachment 116573

I also just completed repairing this 1971 Teac A-4070 reel to reel deck, this retailed for $740 in 1971! This was the most complicated refurbishment I have ever done and it took me 6 months. I got it from a friend for $20 with no functions working except power up. I have not made a video for it yet.

View attachment 116575
Love the movie in the movie poster in the second picture!

Reactions: cytovette

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing