Is there much love for cassette decks here?

cytovette

Aug 17, 2023
Alabama, USA
Hi everyone, being a new member and a believer in all formats I don't see much about the lowly cassette deck on this site (unless I am missing it).
There is a reel to reel forum, which is great, but some of the higher end cassette decks can come close to open reel or turntable quality.

I have 3 working cassette decks (JVC TD-V711, Nakamichi CR-1A, Aiwa AD-S950) and 2 open reel decks (Akai 4400, Teac A-4070).

Just curious if there are cassette users in the group.

Cheers!

Reactions: Johan K

DeYoung

VIP/Donor
Feb 20, 2019
KY
I've always been a fan of the format and have used and enjoyed some really nice decks from Nak (Dragon, CR7a) and Tandberg (TCD 3014A) down though the years. The Tandberg was my absolute favorite. An upgraded and well maintained top-of-the-line cassette can have very high-end reproduction. If you have the funds to keep them running, they can be very enjoyable.

Last edited:

RnRmf

Apr 29, 2015
I have a number of decks but recently bought the best sounding of the bunch - a Teac V-8030S. It's stunning sounding.

I also have a Tascam 122 MK3 that is one of the best sounding I've owned. I actually sought out the Teac because of my experience with the Tascam and I was not disappointed.

I also have a Sony TC-KA3ES, a pair of Nakamichi DR10s, a Pioneer CT-43, and a Pioneer CT-90R, an amazingly transparent Pioneer deck from the early 80's.

I think I'm done right now even though there are a lot of Nakamichi CR-7As on the market right now and I always wanted one of those. The Teac is so fine sounding that I'm left wanting for nothing.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Maybe I’m showing my age and ignorance
to me while cassettes were handy mobile wise
In my homes it was open reel tape or vinyl
in cars 8 track sounded way better yet had its own issues
so no love from me lol aside of nostalgia
At one point I had a 8 track tape deck in my
Home as well.

Reactions: cytovette

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Hi everyone, being a new member and a believer in all formats I don't see much about the lowly cassette deck on this site (unless I am missing it).
There is a reel to reel forum, which is great, but some of the higher end cassette decks can come close to open reel or turntable quality.

I have 3 working cassette decks (JVC TD-V711, Nakamichi CR-1A, Aiwa AD-S950) and 2 open reel decks (Akai 4400, Teac A-4070).

Just curious if there are cassette users in the group.

Cheers!
I use my TEAC V-7000 frequently, the sound is amazing. As for tapes goes, I use the SONY Metal Master 90. Enjoy ;) !

/ Jk

IMG_8840.jpeg

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
I use cassettes daily on my commute to and from work, I am usually using Sony WM-D6C, Sony WM-DC2 or Sony WM-DD9.
At home I use Nakamichi CR-7.
My standard cassettes are TDK MA-XG of which I still have a stash of unopened / unused.

Wax Tailor - Phonovisions.jpg

Pic2.jpg

MA-XG.jpg

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
cytovette Once you get to CR-7, you don’t need any other tape deck. It’s very true to the source. The CR-7 is only as good as what you feed it, and I don't mean feeding it with the best blank cassettes although that does help. I mean getting good recordings from very good sources and you will hear what this unit can really do.
Since the CR-7 can bias up any cassette, you will always get the best out of that cassette. Plus having azimuth correction, it will extract the best out of any cassette no matter where it was recorded from.

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
Thanks Johan, I bet there are others with top cassette decks on this forum but have not posted pics yet.

• Haha
Reactions: Johan K

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Thanks Johan, I bet there are others with top cassette decks on this forum but have not posted pics yet.
Haha - you are way to humble!! As far as this day - to ME you are the undisputed king of cassette on this forum, haha :p !!!

/ Jk

DeYoung

VIP/Donor
Feb 20, 2019
KY
cytovette Once you get to CR-7, you don’t need any other tape deck. It’s very true to the source. The CR-7 is only as good as what you feed it, and I don't mean feeding it with the best blank cassettes although that does help. I mean getting good recordings from very good sources and you will hear what this unit can really do.
Since the CR-7 can bias up any cassette, you will always get the best out of that cassette. Plus having azimuth correction, it will extract the best out of any cassette no matter where it was recorded from.
The auto calibration feature on the CR7a is a thing of beauty... Always got consistently excellent recordings every time with TDK metal tape.

Bartolo

Jan 31, 2019
I had a few dozen Grateful Dead bootleg cassettes from my tape trading days in college. Maybe some of them spent too much time in a hot car, but over the years I was finding the little felt pads becoming unglued and falling out. These were Maxell XL-II an some Teacs. Fortunately I dont really miss them, as the Dead have released all that music and tons more themselves in much higher quality than my old multi-generational cassettes.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I have been very happy when cassette is gone. It's very sad to see the efforts to bring that low quality format back. And yes I owned and used top 3 head decks back in the day and 39 various portables (walkman).

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Well, I am happy when I read about other people enjoyment with cassette systems - my first audio system was based in a Philips car cassette player powered by a 12V battery with some speakers I built using card boxes and still own a mint CR7a with remote controlled azimuth.

In this subjective hobby, there is space for every one experiences - I am not ashamed to recognize that sometimes I listen with pleasure to an Edison Phonograph I rebuilt some time ago!

DeYoung

VIP/Donor
Feb 20, 2019
KY
In this subjective hobby, there is space for every one experiences - I am not ashamed to recognize that sometimes I listen with pleasure to an Edison Phonograph I rebuilt some time ago!
I get a great deal of enjoyment from my Victor VI ,circa 1906 ,even though it maybe has a 200-5000 Hz response with a good recording.
It's the jewel in my antique phonograph collection. This machine was state-of-the-art in the first decade of the 20th century and
listening to it gives you a realization and a audio perspective of knowing, first hand, just how far recorded music has come. Makes it much easier to enjoy the (so called) low quality cassette or any other obsolete audio format.

IMG_0792.JPG

IMG_0790.JPG

Last edited:

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
One day I'll pull my Tandberg 3014 out of its box and sell it :)

• Haha
Reactions: mtemur

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing