My humble 2CH room!

As I said over at BD.com....The Genesis will love the extra room and I'm flattered to see that Gary agrees with me :) You have a wonderful system and you purchase an excellent pair of speakers indeed!
Hey Rich, nice meeting you here :). I can't wait to hear John's impression on the move, it should be quite substantial IMO

Hey Rich, nice meeting you here :). I can't wait to hear John's impression on the move, it should be quite substantial IMO
Yes, I can't wait for his comments :)

As I said over at BD.com....The Genesis will love the extra room and I'm flatterd to see that Gary agrees with me :) You have a wonderful system and you purchase an excellent pair of speakers indeed!

Absolutely! With the open layout, the Genesis will have room to stretch their legs. We use them in a room that is 32' x 24' at the local audio society, and they still manage to fill that room.

Waiting to hear John's impression on the move.

Yeah, I've been pretty busy with the Target openings in Southern Ontario and haven't had much time to do anything else. I'll have an update shortly if all goes well.

He's been a bit quiet the last few days. I hope Target's counterintelligence guys didn't catch him snooping around. Who knows what they do with spies?! 8-O

They paint a big red circle on his back, then they paint a smaller red circle, and put a dot in the middle........

:D ROFL

They paint a big red circle on his back, then they paint a smaller red circle, and put a dot in the middle........

:D ROFL

Too funny! :D!

In my current room I have the speaker PC's connected to the Monster Power Centre as access to wall receptacles is beyond their length, and I will have to do the same once I switch over. Is this something to be concerned about?

In my current room I have the speaker PC's connected to the Monster Power Centre as access to wall receptacles is beyond their length, and I will have to do the same once I switch over. Is this something to be concerned about?

You know what John, that is a good question and looking forward to an answer, but I guess depending on the power they require it should be ok in my mind, but then so many things I don't know. having Gary to answer you is awesome though ;)

I wouldn't plug either the G7f's or your power amp into a Monster Power Centre. About the best power strip I've ever used is the IsoTek Sirius: http://www.kosmic.us/isotek-sirius.html

If your power is clean enough, and you don't need any filtration, you can also go down to the cheaper IsoTek Polaris. The other one I likes was the original PS Audio Juice Bar. I didn't like the new one as much though.

I wouldn't plug either the G7f's or your power amp into a Monster Power Centre. About the best power strip I've ever used is the IsoTek Sirius: http://www.kosmic.us/isotek-sirius.html

If your power is clean enough, and you don't need any filtration, you can also go down to the cheaper IsoTek Polaris. The other one I likes was the original PS Audio Juice Bar. I didn't like the new one as much though.

As much as I'd like to get one of those, I simply can't afford it. Any other suggestions?

I have finally moved my gear over, although I am far from finished with the room itself. I have posted a preliminary pic of the setup right after I finished painting and it's bare as you can see. Once everything is in place, with carpets, curtains, furniture, ect. I will post more.

My main reason for posting the pic is to show the placement, and you'll notice that the rack is not where I had hoped it could be placed. My initial plan was to place it next to my PC area (left side of the pic), but after trying it I decided it was too tight of a fit. It looked doable on paper, but the tight quarters would be asking for an accident to happen. With the TT being on top I don't want to risk bumping into the stand. So I've gone back to a more traditional placement. Now that the placement is finalized I can order the cables I need in their proper lengths (glad I didn't do that before).

Placement dimensions:

1. Speakers are placed 36" forward of the front wall.
2. Speakers are 6.5' apart from centre-to-centre
3. Speakers are 22" in from the side wall (right) and storage unit (left)
4. Speakers will be 9' from listening position (approximately)

This will be the starting point, but I'm sure that adjustments will be implemented once the room is 100% completed.

IMG_0108.JPG

Why carpet?

It looks like you won't have to worry about sidewall reflections on the right, which is good?

It all looks very promising!!

Why carpet?

It looks like you won't have to worry about sidewall reflections on the right, which is good?

It all looks very promising!!

It's too early to tell what kind of acoustic treatments I will need, but I don't like the look of just bare wood floors. The pic below is from just behind the seating position.

IMG_0111.JPG

That rug looks nice, it's not what I would mean by "carpet".

Nice set-up. One thing though, the spikes are set way too high. You should only have the spikes barely lifting the suspension off the floor.

Wasn't a manual included when you bought these? I can email you one.

Hi Gary,

You did tell me that....I will lower them as soon as I get off of here (and a much needed shower). And no, I did not get a manual, so that would be most appreciated. Thank you!

That rug looks nice, it's not what I would mean by "carpet".

I thought of that after...I should have said "area rug"..

Looks great...time to spend some time in that couch and enjoy!!! I am sure as time goes on, you may tweak the placement a bit here and there, but sometimes once you get to 95%...it is hard to get much further without spending some time with the system. And sometimes you realize...actually i am at 100% already. (til the next upgrade anyway! ;) )

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing