My humble 2CH room!

I am not normally a fan of Greatest Hits packages, but History: America's Greatest Hits (remixed and produced by Martin) is a beauty. Actually, I like Warner/Electra/Reprise pressings in general.

And the best version of that LP is the *record club* version.

+1 - all the pictures I took at CES was with the S100. It does HD Video as well.

I agree on the S100. I think the newest model is the S110. The pictures are really nice given the small size of the camera sensor (but the camera is not really a substitute for a DSLR). My favorite thing about the camera is its video quality, much better than I expected.

I agree on the S100. I think the newest model is the S110. The pictures are really nice given the small size of the camera sensor (but the camera is not really a substitute for a DSLR). My favorite thing about the camera is its video quality, much better than I expected.

Another vote for the S100! Nice. How's the audio quality? Does it have a separate MIC input?

Another vote for the S100! Nice. How's the audio quality? Does it have a separate MIC input?

Sorry for getting off-topic. I was enjoying the 2CH part of the thread. The S-100 audio is OK (stereo mics) but I haven't tried to do anything demanding. No dedicated MIC input and I don't know if there is a workaround.

Sorry for getting off-topic. I was enjoying the 2CH part of the thread. The S-100 audio is OK (stereo mics) but I haven't tried to do anything demanding. No dedicated MIC input and I don't know if there is a workaround.

No problem Jay! I would love the MIC input, but it's not a deal-breaker. BTW...I started a thread on the Canon S110.

Rather than starting a new thread I thought I'd show you my plan for moving the 2CH rig out of my small room (11x10) and into my LR (11x18). I find that with the new gear and especially the new speakers, my room is way too small. The G7.1f's need more space to truly shine and I would also like the ability to turn up the volume now and again. With that in mind I have decided to move my gear into the LR and make it an audio room instead. I'll use the other room as a TV Den.

I've drawn up a quick schematic in OpenOffice to give you an idea of the proposed layout and dimensions, and would welcome your comments, suggestions and recommendations. I am open to just about anything as I don't have to deal with the WAF. The walls are all solid concrete/gypsum covered and hardwood floors, plus a full set of sliding glass patio doors. I have NO treatments whatsoever and I'm very interested to hear what your thoughts/suggestions are in that regard. The only thing I can't change is the wall whereby the setup will be placed. Here is the drawing:

Room Layout 2.jpg

Thank you all so much in advance for your ideas and suggestions!:D

One of my standard recommendations is always to get the audio rack away from between the speakers. The development of the soundstage and imaging is always better - for any loudspeaker. Specifically, if a rack is absolutely needed between the speakers, keep it below the height of the midrange/tweeter. No more than 18" high if at all possible (or about half the ear to floor height).

With the G7f's that you have, a long, large, low record rack between the speakers won't hurt and will indeed help the bass development. The bass drivers fire outwards, and since your main source is analog (bass is mono) the bass drivers on the two speakers work together and in conjunction with the floor to simulate a 6-ft wide bass cabinet. Even with CDs, the bass is mostly mono anyway. That's how multi-miked recording is usually done.

So, having the records between the speakers actually help make the bass more efficient. You may have to turn down the bass gain as a result. When I designed these speakers, they were supposed to be WAF acceptable, living-room speakers that might have a large cabinet with a TV between them and having the woofers firing outwards. Hence, the bass gain is set so that it will be at the 12 o'clock position in that situation.

One of my standard recommendations is always to get the audio rack away from between the speakers. (...)

I can not agree more with your recommendation. I always keep my system on the side wall and at maximum I put the amplifier on the floor between or behind the speakers. The only problem is that a 5-6m (20 feet) interconnect is needed for this placement.

More for psychological than acoustic reasons I have a black acoustical curtain hiding the acoustical treatments in the front wall - I like to listen looking towards an empty space.

Thanks Gary?!

I can certainly accomplish what you suggested as I have 2- 60Wx15Dx31H record units (see diagram). I could thereby place both side by side to create a wall. I'd have to get some longer speaker cable or a longer pair of IC's, if I decide to put the Power Amp on the floor (low stand). I see the latter a lot.

I do like the idea of creating a wall between the LR/DR area and was thinking then of stacking 2 records units.

I'd prefer longer interconnects to longer speaker cables. With a high input impedance input on a power amp, long interconnects will be less detrimental to the signal.

I think what I might do then is put the system rack in the DR, along with my PC setup, and actually make the kitchen into a kitchen and not a kitchen/office. Haha! I'm funky that way! This means I would need about a 12' pair of IC's. OUCH!!!! Any recommendations for a pair that won't cost me an arm and a leg?

DUH! :rolleyes: I should have thought first! I have ordered from them before....excellent service and pricing too! Thanks again!

Given the Dave Brubeck kick you've been on recently, that vendor seems like a no-brainer! :)

BTW, I'll also add my voice of support for removing your gear form between your speakers. And on a more geeky note, OpenOffice (or LibreOffice) Draw might be a better option for this, rather than Calc. (Long-time LibreOffice user and fan here!)

Hello, John. I do not know what your 3 dimensional fields are with regards to your LP collection but I would propose this. Either take the LP rack behind your couch out and place it in the room your system used to reside in or make something that would incorporate your complete LP collection within the space of your PC desk area. This would allow the listening position to be placed further back. At the very least, it would allow for the speakers to be placed further from the wall [if needed] and allow for less constraints between the speaker plane and the listening position.

Food for thought.

attachment.php

Tom

Hello Tom - The diagram is limited in that I can't get it fully to scale, although I might have an idea to fix that. Each one of the record cabinets is 31" in height, and holds approximately 600 LP's each. I like your suggestion as far as removing the one cabinet behind the couch and positioning it elsewhere, especially if it results in a better listening experience. I will for sure experiment with that once the room has been switched over, so thank you for that tip!

The speakers shown are out of proportion as they are actually a lot smaller than what I drew up. They are 13" D x 8" W, so from the front of them (as per the drawing) I will have about 2.5' (30") of space behind them. I cannot really move them further forward as that would interfere with traffic flow. The current drawing has me positioned roughly 10' from the speakers, and that would increase to 12" should the rear LP cabinet be removed. I'm definitely going to switch the DR/Kitchen Table and PC Desk, and have the system rack in the DR area. I hope to get you an updated drawing in the next few days.

Updated diagram to reflect some suggested changes. (sorry for the bad jpeg image...I'll redo another time)

Room Layout 3.jpg

12' from Genesis to John... perfect :)

I do believe John will get as much satisfaction out of this move as he had originally felt going from the great Totems to these. There is something to be said about a certain level of loudness in the total mix for enjoyement and he will get that now IMO.

As I said over at BD.com....The Genesis will love the extra room and I'm flatterd to see that Gary agrees with me :) You have a wonderful system and you purchase an excellent pair of speakers indeed!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing