Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 812

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
very nice system! I like your preamp and curious about your Canton Speakers.

Amado

Canton speakers are one of the most important brands in Europe
The model I have is the reference 5.2DC
I had many speakers and nothing comes close to the sound I'm getting from them

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I heard Canton some years back at the same time as ADS speakers which I owned and liked a lot, what would be your three main tales sonically speaking regarding their sound?

Amado

Rapidas, se pierden en la habitación y el sistema DC que elimina las vibraciones ocasionadas por la sensibilidad del vinyl.

Fast, they disappear in the room and the DC circuit that takes out the rumble on the drives.
from Canton page :
Using displacement control (DC Technology), the crossover prevents the uncontrolled movement of the woofers and increases the bandwidth for the same cabinet size. Sub-sonic, non-audible vibrations are specifically suppressed and distortions are minimized. The result is extremely precise bass, even at very high sound pressure levels.

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
After carefully inspecting my unit versus your excellent photo I can see that the only difference in the board are the capacitors and the blue wires are now brown. I find curious that although the PCB has a new copyright mark it still carries the fixing wholes for the plastic supports of the large white Teflon capacitors. Perhaps just in case someone wants to upgrade the REF10 to the Anniversary version! ;)

I've pointed it before and I'll say it again, those gold caps were used in the older ref 3/5 line and the ref 110/210/610. For some reason, and it had better be for better sonics, ARC reverted to them in their newest products, the ref 10 and the ref 75. I have not seen the innards of the new ref cd9 but I'm curious to find out what output caps they used. If the gold caps do indeed sound better, why does the upgrade for the ref 5/ref phono 2 to SE status include the white Teflon caps? And your right, micro, the audio board of the ref 10 looks like a clone of the ref 40. I wonder if the 5k premium is for better sonics or that fancy touch screen display?

Amado

Dear friends,
as an ARC Distribuitor I had the opportunity to compared them both and with the REF10 is more open,more natural and
micro details more evolving. The REF40 is an excellent unit but ARC took all the good things of it and improve them in the
REF10. Also remember that the REF40 was a limited Edition and they want to continue to sale that good product in other ways. I contacted Kalvin Dahl for more info about the ARC CD9 , an as soon I have them I will let you all know.

Nelson

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I've pointed it before and I'll say it again, those gold caps were used in the older ref 3/5 line and the ref 110/210/610. For some reason, and it had better be for better sonics, ARC reverted to them in their newest products, the ref 10 and the ref 75. I have not seen the innards of the new ref cd9 but I'm curious to find out what output caps they used. If the gold caps do indeed sound better, why does the upgrade for the ref 5/ref phono 2 to SE status include the white Teflon caps? And your right, micro, the audio board of the ref 10 looks like a clone of the ref 40. I wonder if the 5k premium is for better sonics or that fancy touch screen display?

Dafos,

Are you sure that the golden capacitors of the REF10 are exactly of the same type as the golden capacitors of previous series? As far as I could see from Amado photos those of the REF10 look larger than those of the REF5. Just because a capacitor outer aspect looks similar does not imply it used the same metal foils and dielectric films.

Currently we can find all type of rumors about the capacitors used in ARC equipment in the net - stories about reliability, non availability, who makes them, even about a new factory. :) In order to know the truth we need an official position from ARC about it.

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
My mistake for jumping into conclusions based on the color of what could simply be just the color of a components outer skin. Regarding the ref 10, I've seen and even heard one (not in ideal conditions though) and I must say, at least for me, it's a beautiful looking design. The thing is, I don't believe ARC feels it owes its customers, current or potential, any explanation on why they use a certain component, save for want is claimed in their website. Seems they prefer to let their products do the talking thru reviews and of course, personal auditions. At the end of the day, who gives a hoot on the dielectric of a capacitor, similar to what does it matter on what material a speaker driver or enclosure is made of, so long as it sounds good.

Amado

My mistake for jumping into conclusions based on the color of what could simply be just the color of a components outer skin. Regarding the ref 10, I've seen and even heard one (not in ideal conditions though) and I must say, at least for me, it's a beautiful looking design. The thing is, I don't believe ARC feels it owes its customers, current or potential, any explanation on why they use a certain component, save for want is claimed in their website. Seems they prefer to let their products do the talking thru reviews and of course, personal auditions. At the end of the day, who gives a hoot on the dielectric of a capacitor, similar to what does it matter on what material a speaker driver or enclosure is made of, so long as it sounds good.
Dafos,
I prefer the old ARC style like the REF40, after a while you don't use anymore the front display.
But definitely they sound different
Me too don't understand how they have many months with a unit on the market and still no official input from them
They are very slow updating the website.
Now they have a new product, the CD9, and no info what so ever from them.

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
Amado, you share the same opinion regarding the ref 10's design, our local dealer prefers the more "classic" ARC look. Too bad I was unable to hear it in a familiar system as it was pre-ordered.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Does anyone know the output impedance of the ARC Ref 10?

Amado

Specifications
FREQUENCY RESPONSE: +0 -3dB 0.1Hz to 200kHz at rated out- put. (BALANCED, 200k ohms load.)
DISTORTION: Less than .006% at 2V RMS Balanced output. GAIN: Main output (SE or BAL input): 12dB Balanced output,
6dB Single Ended output. Tape output: 0dB. (Processor
input: 0dB Balanced)
INPUT IMPEDANCE: 120K ohms Balanced, 60K ohms SE, Inputs
(7): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, PROCESSOR. (XLR and RCA connectors). OUTPUT IMPEDANCE: 600 ohms Balanced, 300 ohms SE main
(2), 20K ohms minimum load and 2000pF maximum capac- itance. Outputs (3): 2 main, 1 tape (XLR and RCA connec- tors).
OUTPUT POLARITY: Non inverting.
MAXIMUM INPUT: 20V RMS maximum Balanced, (10V RMS SE). RATED OUTPUTS: 2V RMS (1V RMS SE) into 200K ohm balanced
load (maximum balanced output capability is 30V RMS at
less than 0.5% THD at 1kHz).
CROSSTALK: -80dB or better at 1kHz.
CONTROLS: Volume (104 steps). Push Buttons: Power, Mute,
Interactive Touch Screen. Rear RS-232 control and IR input. POWER SUPPLIES: Electronically regulated low and high voltage
supplies. Automatic 40 sec. warm-up/brown-out mute.
Line regulation better than .01%.
NOISE: 1.7uV RMS residual IHF weighted balanced equivalent
input noise with volume at 1 (109dB below 2V RMS output.) TUBE COMPLEMENT: (8)-6H30P dual triodes, plus (2 each) 6550C
and 6H30P in power supply.
POWER REQUIREMENTS: 100-135VAC 60Hz (200-270VAC
50/60Hz) 220 watts. Standby: 2.2 watts.
DIMENSIONS: 19” (48 cm) W x 7” (17.8 cm) H (standard panel)
x15.5” (39.4 cm) D. Handles extend 1.5” (3.8 cm) forward
of the front panels.
WEIGHT: Audio Chassis: 23.6 lbs. (10.7 kg) Net; 33.3 lbs. (15.1
kg) Shipping. Power Supply Chassis: 37.65 lbs. (17.07 kg) Net; 47.35 lbs. (21.48 kg) Shipping.
Specifications subject to change without notice. ©2012 Audio Research Corporation.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
ARC did not have to do big work to write the technical specifications of the REF10 - they just accurately copied those of the Anniversary! ;)

Amado

Or maybe , just maybe , the REF10 was built before the REF40 and now is out for the public . HaHaHa

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing