"must have" new tape

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
For those of you fortunate enough to have a tape deck capable of playing back 15 ips 2 track tapes with IEC equalization, I have a new tape that will blow your doors off. Jonathan Horwich recorded this tape in July of 1980 in Echternach, Luxembourg, using a pair of B&K omni microphones into an ML-5 tape deck. This tape is a live performance of Ravi Shankar playing sitar and Alla Rakha playing tabla. Jonathan recently received permission from the estate of Ravi Shankar to release this tape.

In my opinion, Jonathan did one hell of a job recording this tape. He has captured the sound of the room and he caught enough of the dynamics to give you some of the best dynamic range you have heard in a good while in this rat-infested digital world of loudness wars that we find ourselves in. That's one reason why analog people love analog. While digital people love to talk about the dynamic range capability they have (that seldom gets exercised), analog people actually get to listen to recordings that have captured lots of dynamic range. Aah, the irony. Back to the point, this recording is smoking hot with great music and great dynamic range.

If you are a Beatles fan and you like the song "Within and Without You," you will love this tape. I find it to be very Beatlesque sounding, which is probably unfair since George Harrison learned to play the Sitar from Ravi Shankar. But for most of us, we probably first heard the sitar from Beatles recordings. This is a demonstration quality tape. The only bummer is that it is only 17:25 long and it costs $150 which works out to about $8.70 per minute of listening. On the other hand, I have lots of money tied up in recordings I never listen to (like my CD collection) so this is money well spent for me.

For those of you who haven't had your VU meters neutered, this is one of those tapes that will swing your VU meters from -20 to +3 faster than you can snap your fingers. I love those types of tapes! Great music, great recording, and great dynamic range. What more can you ask for? This tape is two generations from the master, but if you are willing to spend $400, Jonathan will make a limited quantity of tapes straight from the master. My tape sounds so good that if Jonathan told me he duped it straight from the master I would have believed him. I give this tape my highest recommendation. Did I say it has great dynamic range? :D

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Hi Mark,

do you have contact info for Jonathan?

p.s. the RE's that have bought into this loudness thing should be taken out and shot....pure crap....EOR

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Steve-Anyone who buys this tape is in for a musical treat. I find it to be stunning in both the quality of the recording and the quality of the music being played. This tape is about as honest and pure as it gets in this hobby of ours. I can't wait to listen to it again tonight.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
You will be amazed at how the music fills your room. If you are looking for music that will both make your system sound great and put it through its paces this is it!

Bruce in PA

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
BTW - Jonathan will be with us at the WBF dinner at RMAF.

Great! I haven't seen Jonathan since he barbecued me a steak at his home in Chicago. As well as being a great recording engineer, Jonathan's a gourmet cook.

Great that the estate or Ravi Shankar allowed Jonathan to release this tape. It's fabulous music. I've loved it since he gave me a digital copy many moons ago. Unfortunately, I couldn't demo it, or give it to anyone. I'm guessing that it's good to demo now that release rights have been secured.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Great! I haven't seen Jonathan since he barbecued me a steak at his home in Chicago. As well as being a great recording engineer, Jonathan's a gourmet cook.

Great that the estate or Ravi Shankar allowed Jonathan to release this tape. It's fabulous music. I've loved it since he gave me a digital copy many moons ago. Unfortunately, I couldn't demo it, or give it to anyone. I'm guessing that it's good to demo now that release rights have been secured.

Jonathan is one of the good guys and he deserves to be supported by the tape community. I really think the Ravi Shankar tape is the best I have heard so far from Jonathan and the other two tapes I have aren't slouches either. Jonathan knows how to capture the dynamic range of a performance which is important to me.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Jonathan is one of the good guys and he deserves to be supported by the tape community. I really think the Ravi Shankar tape is the best I have heard so far from Jonathan and the other two tapes I have aren't slouches either. Jonathan knows how to capture the dynamic range of a performance which is important to me.

Nah forget it, just have Jonathan make a digital copy and play it back thru a cheap DAC. That will sound better sayeth the experts.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
For those of you fortunate enough to have a tape deck capable of playing back 15 ips 2 track tapes with IEC equalization, I have a new tape that will blow your doors off. Jonathan Horwich recorded this tape in July of 1980 in Echternach, Luxembourg, using a pair of B&K omni microphones into an ML-5 tape deck. This tape is a live performance of Ravi Shankar playing sitar and Alla Rakha playing tabla. Jonathan recently received permission from the estate of Ravi Shankar to release this tape.

In my opinion, Jonathan did one hell of a job recording this tape. He has captured the sound of the room and he caught enough of the dynamics to give you some of the best dynamic range you have heard in a good while in this rat-infested digital world of loudness wars that we find ourselves in. That's one reason why analog people love analog. While digital people love to talk about the dynamic range capability they have (that seldom gets exercised), analog people actually get to listen to recordings that have captured lots of dynamic range. Aah, the irony. Back to the point, this recording is smoking hot with great music and great dynamic range.

If you are a Beatles fan and you like the song "Within and Without You," you will love this tape. I find it to be very Beatlesque sounding, which is probably unfair since George Harrison learned to play the Sitar from Ravi Shankar. But for most of us, we probably first heard the sitar from Beatles recordings. This is a demonstration quality tape. The only bummer is that it is only 17:25 long and it costs $150 which works out to about $8.70 per minute of listening. On the other hand, I have lots of money tied up in recordings I never listen to (like my CD collection) so this is money well spent for me.

For those of you who haven't had your VU meters neutered, this is one of those tapes that will swing your VU meters from -20 to +3 faster than you can snap your fingers. I love those types of tapes! Great music, great recording, and great dynamic range. What more can you ask for? This tape is two generations from the master, but if you are willing to spend $400, Jonathan will make a limited quantity of tapes straight from the master. My tape sounds so good that if Jonathan told me he duped it straight from the master I would have believed him. I give this tape my highest recommendation. Did I say it has great dynamic range? :D

Never heard tablas sound like that on a digital recording. Never will either.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Just got my copy today Mark along with 4 other of his tapes. Won't be able to listen til tomorrow. Darn

You're in for a treat Steve with the Shankar.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
You're in for a treat Steve with the Shankar.

I was finally able to listen to this tape this afternoon and Myles you are right on. Only 18 minutes long but my hat is tipped to Jonathan Horwich for this very special recording. I must admit that for the first 20-30 seconds I wasn't feeling the vibe but as the tape kept running the tempo of both musicians kept increasing to an almost dazzling pace. The dynamics are exceptional as Mark pointed out and what a masterful recording by Jonathan using 2 mikes many years ago when he recorded them

It is rewarding that we do have sources of high quality tapes as this is the problem with R2R but with Jonathan and his International Phonograph, Inc I would recommend that any tape heads here get a copy of this Ravi Shankar tape. You won't be disappointed.

I also bought 4 others from Jonathan that I haven't even had a chance to listen to so more to come

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
I saw Ravi live in Mumbai many years ago, it was quite special. I can picture in my mind how good this must sound.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Hey folks, especially those of you who like Jonathan's tapes. He's too modest to request this for himself, but please vote for him to get a grant from Chase Bank to continue his great jazz recording work.

https://www.missionmainstreetgrants.com/business/detail/44162

You'll need a Facebook account to log in. According to the privacy notice, Chase won't spam all your friends (who trusts a big bank these days) but they didn't promise not to spam you (for a good cause).

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Done.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing