Best Quality Cassette Tape?

CD&VINYL

Oct 15, 2023
Portland, Oregon Area
After years of not being operative, I just got my Nakamichi CR3a cassette tape deck repaired. What's the best quality tape to get the best quality recordings?

Someone at the at the repair place (Fred's Sound of Music, Portland, OR) mentioned high bias Memorex cassette tapes. So, I will look for some. But, what others?

I was told that I should adjust the variable bias setting on my CR3a to whatever is specified on the tape. Is this the correct way to do this?

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
The vast majority of us on the WBF interested in tape really only do reel to reel and not cassette tape. I would suggest cassette section of Tapeheads.net forum for advice. Larry

tapepath

Feb 19, 2014
Hello,
Welcome! Your Nakamichi deck has provisions for using Normal, CrO2 and Metal tapes with corresponding bias position selection on the front panel. In very general terms the widest frequency response and lowest distortion will be with CrO2 (Chrome) and Metal tapes. Also since these two tape types can be recorded at fairly high levels the dynamic range capability and signal-to-noise ratio will be better. In practical terms finding new old stock may be difficult, especially for Metal type tapes. Most cassette audio enthusiasts find either TDK or Maxell to be well recommended.
Enjoy your repaired Nakamichi, if you can ever find some prerecorded tapes by the In Sync label buy them, they are excellent sounding also the impossible to find Advent Process CR70 tapes.

Tapetech

Apr 10, 2014
Fairfax, VA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing