7 1/2 IPS Tapes Sound Quality Thoughts and Beatles Sgt. Pepper

Audiophilehi

Oct 23, 2017
So on my system and my ears The Beatles Sgt. Pepper Lonely Hearts Club Band 7 1/2 IPS reel to reel tape sounds great. It most definitely sounds better than any of the multiple different pressings I have including the UK original.

With that being said, do the other Beatles tapes at 7 1/2 IPS have the same outstanding sound quality?

In addition, how do 7 1/2 IPS tapes from groups like Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck sound? These tapes go for big bucks so I would hate to take a chance without some good feedback.

Reactions: tapepath

Kour40

Aug 23, 2021
Abbey Road is one of my favorite commercial 7,5 tape. It is way better then my uk and Japan vinyls. I guess the mix for the tape is different from lps.
And speaking big bucks for commercial tapes you better pay around 200 -300$ for good master copy 15 ips

Audiophilehi

Oct 23, 2017
Thanks for the recommendation. I’ll see if I can seek one out for a reasonable price.

Kour40

Aug 23, 2021
All commercials jazz tapes on Columbia are very well recorded. All Brubecks are excellent.
Im not buying 3 3/3 ips. Miles Davis commercials are way overpriced, go for copy of masters same price. Same for commercials of rock.

Audiophilehi

Oct 23, 2017
Can you please point in the direction for copy of masters tapes?

Last edited:

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Can you play 15ips 2 track tapes? PM me for some sources. Larry

Tapetech

Apr 10, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Can you please point in the direction for copy of masters tapes?
That information is right in front of you. Scroll up to "Sticky Threads".

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing