Munich HighEnd 2024

Not that I am going but who gets to see the rooms on Thursday and Friday?

Who is considered a trade visitor?

Reactions: Gunnar
In the Alsyvox/Taiko/Pilium/VYDA room yesterday it seemed like the show had started. We must of had 50+ visitors during the day from other vendors and dealer/distributors. We were doing demos since 10am. Today the real fun starts.
3841040e-e48c-4439-80bd-ca9fbbbe2d82.jpeg

TAD R1TX in blue color in MOC 2024

Sadly Moiz will not be attending this year , His very high quality audio video’s of the show from previous years were the next best thing to actually being there.

Amir, can you tell us anything about those very cool looking diffusers? First I’ve seen them I’m sure they’d be beneficial for a lot of installations.

How long before the honey can be harvested ;)

Reactions: Alrainbow
A Stenheim Alumine 5 (SE?) & Nagra demo + EMT turntable.
ROOM A 4.1, F130

Being not in Munich, those little clips extracted from a Chinese livestream (no subtitles), from which I'm trying to pick up what interests me. And I share it.
This selection is not of general interest though.
The demo seems to be run mainly by EMT-tontechnik (Micha Huber & Emmanuel Huber).

Surprisingly, there is no carpet in front of the speakers:

Last edited:
Odeon, German horn loudspeakers - ROOM A 4.2, E210
(from a Chinese livestream, no subtitles)

Reactions: SCAudiophile
Aries Cerat Contendo II - ROOM A 4.1, F111

[Being not in Munich, I'm trying to pick up what interests me. And I share it.
This selection is not of general interest though.]

The guy barely opens the door of the room, and even from here (with my Sennheiser HD650 plugged into my Thinkpad), it seems to sound TERRIFIC!
But can't visitors stop SLAMMING that door ?! Help!

From Audiophile Junkie:
"The sense of scale and realism is off the charts, like a lot of these horn systems, but this one is setup perfectly in this room. Unexpected to be this good in this room. I'll definitely try to get with Stavros [the chief engineer and designer] later, and talk about that [new, Aries Cerat] turntable"

Last edited:
A Stenheim Alumine 5 (SE?) & Nagra demo + EMT turntable.
ROOM A 4.1, F130

Being not in Munich, those little clips extracted from a Chinese livestream (no subtitles), from which I'm trying to pick up what interests me. And I share it.
This selection is not of general interest though.
The demo seems to be run mainly by EMT-tontechnik (Micha Huber & Emmanuel Huber).

(1) Stenheim & Nagra - (60sec clip)
https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxJpiGsV3K0jiXlE1IT9IPTkS6AcZE4e-9?si=8EY72PXrcf9fMAi6

(2) Stenheim & Nagra - (60sec clip)
https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxP0NTrC631g85q989VN0C34GSiaCsmS0j?si=7itzAyVlOdmu3ZxB

Surprisingly, there is no carpet in front of the speakers:
(3) Stenheim & Nagra - Front (60sec clip)
https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxKy5UlG4BzkRXYQ3QEa2lBkJ_NLOunatd?si=VZ6KhRaerDaLO9bf

(4) Stenheim Alumine 5, Nagra, EMT turntable - Back (60sec clip)
https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkx3SqsPQ7dQCb73ENzPVTN9HocqFjafVGk?si=Y3OXefYJ6n8j42dC
Thanks for taking the time to post the links. Unfortunately when I tried to view one of the videos a message is displayed that the video is unavailable and might have been deleted.

Reactions: Alrainbow
Unfortunately when I tried to view one of the videos a message is displayed that the video is unavailable and might have been deleted.
Thanks for the feedback, updated (see upwards).
Nevertheless, that is strange, as I had initially posted shared links to the clips.
Now, I posted a "video URL at current time". It works. It starts at right the purposeful excerpt. But afterwards, it goes on with this uninteresting visit of the show, sorry (obviously, the reporter is ill-equipped and can't use a camera and a microphone properly). In the future, I will try to find better reports.

Aries Cerat Contendo II - ROOM A 4.1, F111

[Being not in Munich, I'm trying to pick up what interests me. And I share it.
This selection is not of general interest though.]

The guy barely opens the door of the room, and even from here (with my Sennheiser HD650 plugged into my Thinkpad), it seems to sound TERRIFIC!
But can't visitors stop SLAMMING that door ?! Help!

From Audiophile Junkie:
"The sense of scale and realism is off the charts, like a lot of these horn systems, but this one is setup perfectly in this room. Unexpected to be this good in this room. I'll definitely try to get with Stavros [the chief engineer and designer] later, and talk about that [new, Aries Cerat] turntable"

There is an older video think at his factory
he played a known song was blown away at you tube sound.
love posted video but I also know videos can be bad on systems being sold.
guess it cuts both ways. I’ve heard Aries at a few shows
A stand out sound especially on vinyl.

some impressions:

IMG_4358.jpegIMG_4351.jpegIMG_4355.jpeg

IMG_4351.jpeg

IMG_4340.jpeg

IMG_4342.jpeg

IMG_4334.jpeg

IMG_4323.jpeg
IMG_4325.jpeg

IMG_4324.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4349.jpeg
    IMG_4349.jpeg
    762 KB · Views: 15
IMG_4357.jpeg

IMG_4356.jpeg

IMG_4360.jpeg

IMG_4347.jpeg

IMG_4337.jpeg

IMG_4310.jpegIMG_4307.jpegIMG_4304.jpeg
IMG_4303.jpegIMG_4305.jpeg

Munich ramblings

I realize that audio shows are mostly commercial opportunities for people in the business. I was also reminded that they don’t necessarily exist for the purpose of displaying something that sounds good. If that happens, great but more often one gets “show conditions” and if good sound occurs, it’s more likely an accident. So don’t yell at me when I tell you, I heard a ton bad sound today. In general, the show was plagued with Hi-Fi sound, rather than demos that sounded like music. But there were a few highlights and astonishments so I’ll offer a flash synopsis of day 1.

To begin, it blew my mind that somebody is offering this piece of crap for 4M. No idea who makes it and I don’t care. It was a sonic abomination and just horrifying.

IMG_1988.jpeg

I think the hottest product and a star of the show was the new Wadax single box combination server, CD/SACD player, pr-amp and DAC that retails for 39,999. I came across it twice. This little system with Magico S3 and ARC was quite good and very satisfying. To be honest, most folks don’t need a stereo better than this. It was also in the Goebel room with their new "baby" speaker which also sounded good.

IMG_1996.jpeg

IMG_1995.jpeg

I then found what was probably the second best sound I heard all day at the VTL demo. Luke and Bea were using their 7.5 mkIII preamp and Siegried stereo amp to drive Wilson Alexias with Nordost cabling. I returned to this demo 3 times. Its signature was that it sounded like music, and did so with analog (Kuzma arm and table w Lyra cartridge) and digital sources. Having been to several classical concerts in the past week, it was refreshing to hear what sounded like music and not Hi Fi.

IMG_1999.jpeg

I found our Taiko friends with Alsyvox and Pillium demoing the Olympus using an XDMI output early in the day and was frankly not -impressed. I told Ed I’d be back in the afternoon and would defer judgement until then. I’m glad I did. By the time I returned at 4 pm, it was a very nice sounding system. Apparently Emile was tweaking throughout the day and the results were well worth it, Most surprisingly, he told me the biggest benefit came when he took out a silver wire PC to the Olympus an replaced it with a copper wire PC. That may be as confusing to some of you as it was to me. After all, if its battery powered, why should the PC, used for recharging only, matter? Damned if I know but the empirical evidence is that it clearly does, That said, after some extended listening on 3 visits, I must say, Emile's DAC on a chip using an internal XDMI architecture is going to impress a lot of people. I then headed to the Lampizator Room and found the first public display of the Olympus with native XDMI out into the Poseidon. I was not familiar with the speakers (Dearwolf) which sounded nice, and I thought I heard enough to think that the potential here is genuine. Nothing I heard suggested otherwise,

IMG_1993.jpeg

Then came the big surprise of the day, which were the Lorenzo loudspeakers. I really don’t know what to say other than this is one very impressive sounding speaker. What stunned me is that it uses a midrange horn, and I am certainly no fan of horn loudspeakers. In fact, most the horns I heard today just sucked. When horns play strings or piano, for the most part, it just doesn't sound right to me. That's my bias and I'm stickin' to it. But I could have listened to strings and piano on the Lorenzo all day. On the other hand, the Ares Cerat was a horror show. What people see in that, I just don't get. More disappointing was what I heard a Thomas Mayer. I don’t know what they used but it was big, black and ugly. I would have guessed they would have done a better job based on their reputation for excellent tube gear. But let’s get back to the Lorenzo. This was driven by their own tube gear (and nagra DAC) and it just sounded wonderful, like music.

I had he good luck of being there for 30 min by myself and got to know the designer, Miguel Lorenzo Castro, his wife and son quite a bit, What I discovered is it is Miguel's wife that is the final sonic arbiter of the product's sound. Miguel and his son confirm this as they say she has an exceptional ear. Even better, she also sets up the room, which was clearly one of the better sounding rooms I heard today even though it was modest in size. I thought hmmm, maybe Mrs. Castro (Maria Jose, known informally as Pepa) is the EU version of Bea Lam, who has long been known for her excellent ear. Was it simply coincidence that the two best sounding systems I heard thus far were both driven by premier women audiophiles?

I simply could not believe the Lorenzo room was empty for over 30 minutes while I was given an ipad and told to play whatever. I wanted. More people really should hear this speaker. But more than just hear it you have to see the incredible woodwork to believe it. As I told Bob Visitainer, it’s genuinely cabinet art that sounds like music. One might even say its a bargain at 200K! Kudos.

IMG_2012.jpeg

Finally, I was lucky to be invited to the Goebel factory courtesy of Elliot Goldman where I heard the Divin Nobelsse (Riviera driven) and the amazing and daunting Divin Majestics with 6 subs. (Wadax and CH driven). These are special speakers but they were a treat to hear because the rooms Oliver Goebel designed for each speaker are exceptional, allowing each of them to be heard In all their glory.

IMG_2015.jpeg

I’m sure I missed some stuff which is why I going back tomorrow. But based on what I heard today, I decided to fly home on Saturday, a day early, because overall it’s unfortunately not compelling enough to stay an extra day.

Last edited:
Some shots from today

Attachments

• 20240509_113711.jpg
    20240509_113711.jpg
    692.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 20240509_110331.jpg
    20240509_110331.jpg
    659.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 20240509_105932.jpg
    20240509_105932.jpg
    1,009.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 20240509_105955.jpg
    20240509_105955.jpg
    614.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 20240509_111706.jpg
    20240509_111706.jpg
    744.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 20240509_114850.jpg
    20240509_114850.jpg
    459.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 20240509_104515.jpg
    20240509_104515.jpg
    579.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 20240509_104430.jpg
    20240509_104430.jpg
    627.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 20240509_121400.jpg
    20240509_121400.jpg
    654.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 20240509_121439.jpg
    20240509_121439.jpg
    535.7 KB · Views: 50
Who are they gonna sell it too , these guys want Gold and Ferraris

OK.

Hotel is booked incl Tickets for saturday / sunday
Hifi deluxe on friday is free .

Expect no mercy :cool:.
This means non commercial coverage of the high end show (not impressed by machining / extra knobs / thick cables )
Expensive set up, bad sound immediately 1 point deduction
Cheap system ,good sound automatically 1 bonus point.

Ps Special thank you to my employer who provides me a Free EU charge card

How did the Lyravox new tower speakers sound?

Marty, thank you for those impressions!

I am happy you got to hear the Lorenzo! I didn't know which would be the winner, but I believed that you were going to like at least one of the five horn loudspeakers I suggested you listen to.

I am also happy you got to hear the Divin Majestics with six Sovereigns!

Reactions: GMKF

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing