Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
That means absolutely nothing! In this case "Class A" could mean anything but what it's supposed to be, used for marketing purposes only.
That's an interesting perspective. I note that you are a commercial member and represent Lamm, but not Vitus. The Australian Distributor represents both Lamm and Vitus and has a very different view of Vitus. I must say I do too, and was impressed enough to buy a Vitus Class A amp.

Last edited:

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
What does intelligent class A mean? Class A for a certain amount of watts then back to class AB when the going gets tough?

How many watts in class A? I could not find it in the documentation.
Firstly here is how Boulder describe their biasing for the Boulder 3050 -

"Bias operation is Class A to full rated output power. A microprocessor controlled bias circuit continually monitors the voltage draw, current draw and load to adjust the bias current as necessary. If a musical transient requiring more bias current is detected, the microprocessor will raise the bias much faster than the audio signal to keep the amplifier operating within the Class A window. After the transient has passed, it will then gently lower the bias in a decreasing analog manner over a period of 28 seconds until another transient peak is detected. This has the benefit of keeping the 3050 operating in full Class A mode without the drawbacks of massive power consumption, excessive heat generation and the audible steps or “sliding” of other active bias management systems."

That is a point of difference for Boulder, however Vitus do not change the bias based on input signal amplitude – that has nothing to do with real Class A. I prefer this purist approach which yields amazingly pure and real sound. In regard to the Class A specs, I have attached the data sheet below fyi ;)

Cheers,
Bodhi

View attachment MP-S201 - Flyer.pdf

Last edited:

Sauerball

Member Sponsor
Jul 30, 2013
New York, NY
He was shooting using flash ... at lest on some ocasions. You can see the shades on some images.

You definately need a low f lenses + a camera with good sensor. The closeup of the Vox Olimpian logo I posted earlier, was also made in poor light conditions, with no flash or tripod (Sony RX-1 compact camera; full frame sensor and f/2.0 lenses).

Great pics. Thanks.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
The BIG Vitus on the Estelon was one of the best sound at the show.

Playing at ave 75db? That's a whisper to me & I m not impress with the speakers. However both amp & speakers are gorgeous though I prefer to ogle at the daughter

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
In contemplating how best to answer you question XV, I reviewed Boulder's technical white paper for the Boulder 3050 which described Boulder's own form of intelligent Class A bias. Boulder describe their biasing for the 3050 as follows -

"Bias operation is Class A to full rated output power. A microprocessor controlled bias circuit continually monitors the voltage draw, current draw and load to adjust the bias current as necessary. If a musical transient requiring more bias current is detected, the microprocessor will raise the bias much faster than the audio signal to keep the amplifier operating within the Class A window. After the transient has passed, it will then gently lower the bias in a decreasing analog manner over a period of 28 seconds until another transient peak is detected. This has the benefit of keeping the 3050 operating in full Class A mode without the drawbacks of massive power consumption, excessive heat generation and the audible steps or “sliding” of other active bias management systems."

I suspect Vitus are doing a similar thing with the MP-S201, though to their own design. In regard to the Class A specs, I have attached the data sheet below fyi ;)

Cheers,
Bodhi

View attachment 15790

Do not know much abt amp technicality except what Vitus told me when we had dinner with him at Day 2. It seems the amp perform best when the temp is kept at about 55 centigrade. Friendly guy. I m sure if u email him , he would be more than willing to explain to you about the amp

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
This is merely my 2 cents worth of opinion. My top 3 rooms in no particular order ( excluding Magico Ultimate , not sitting at centre position & too crowded to listen properly )

1. Goebel high end - Goebel Époque Reference with an interesting 9 layered bending wave driver & passive radiators. The chassis made of solid aluminium weighing 180kg. The bass tower - Époque Baforce with a weight of 340kg . It's this bass tower that captivated me . Pre & power , analog domain , cabling by Goebel. Each piece of speaker retail for euro 87.5k

image.jpg
image.jpg

2. Marten supreme 2 ( wired with 60m of Jorma Statement speaker cables), euro 390k powered by Dartzeel nhb -458 Monoblock with expensive Jorma Statement speaker cables ( about usd 40k for 8 ft - separate negative & positive wires)

image.jpg

3. Wolf Von Langa Salon field coil drivers , open baffle speakers with acrylic chassis euro 350k paired with Thomas Mayer exotic looking 211 amp ( silver transformers retailing for Euro 116k . Cheaper buying direct thru vinylsavor )
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    496.3 KB · Views: 1,037
Last edited:

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Sorry somehow orientation of photos changed on posting & when I tried to remove the photo , it ended up as the last photo. I will leave it at that

Last edited:

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Do not know much abt amp technicality except what Vitus told me when we had dinner with him at Day 2. It seems the amp perform best when the temp is kept at about 55 centigrade. Friendly guy. I m sure if u email him , he would be more than willing to explain to you about the amp
Audioblazer I have since spoken to Hans and gained some insight into the biasing scheme for this amp, and went back and edited my OP. Therefore I would say your quote does not represent my current view.

Last edited:

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Audioblazer I have since spoken to Hans and gained some insight into the biasing scheme for this amp, and went back and edited my OP. Therefore I would say your quote does not represent my current view.

Bodhi, excellent. Now that u have spoke to Hans , maybe u can share your current view

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing