MSB Universial Media Player Plus

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
MSB has just updated their webiste so there is now more info on their coming UMT Plus :
http://www.msbtech.com/products/universalPlus.php?Page=platinumHome

Interesting new features includes :
  1. A 2nd DC12V powersupply input so as to achieve better sound.
  2. The Femto140 or Galaxy clock module can be installed into the UMT Plus.
  3. There is a BNC socket for external clock input or for clock output.

I heard that UMT Plus is in fact a heavily modded Oppo BRP-103.

There is still no info on the USD12000 Signature UMT.

MSB has just updated their webiste so there is now more info on their coming UMT Plus :

What is the "USD12000 Signature UMT"

HMMM, I wonder if that is the new media server they are working on, OR, maybe it is the UMT with the Femto Clock option which comes to that price.

The price difference between UMT Plus and Signature UMT is USD6995.

Adding Femto140 clock and Galaxy clock cost USD4995 and USD9995 respectively.

Presuming that Signature UMT has an internal Femto140 clock, there may still be some other tweaks inside for the remaining USD2000 difference.

The UMT Plus sports 3x S/PDIF and 1xAES/EBU outs, sending out MCH audio at full resolution, making this the ideal player to feed a downstream processor with corresponding inputs (Trinnov, Datasat, Meridian), cutting HDMI out of the audio signal path.

Since my HTPC project has been a bit of a disaster, I am looking into this player as an alternative. I will run the digitals outs into Trinnov for MCH, and I2S into the MSB Dac for 2 channel. Only thing I cannot do is apply DRC on 2 channel, but if it turns 2 channel through the Trinnov sounds better than I2S direct, I can always go this route.

While there are a few functional limitations relative to the HTPC route, I expect this machine to sound better (better clocking, cleaner power) than ANY (lynx based) HTPC. With the UMT I can still rip SACDs and play from a USB attached harddrive for now. Eventually, DoP streaming will be supported trough Oppo FW upgrade no doubt. The machine will already support DLNA streaming for FLAC / WAV, so no need for IR - TV Screen.

My buying criteria is how steaming of 2 channel into I2S Pro will compare to CAPS3 server over USB. If its equivalent or better, my spanking new server will go up on audiogon.

I'm curious about this one as well...
I was hoping to use the transport (UMT) to stream audio from my shared drive. With the regular UMT, I have to use its UI, which, frankly, sucks.
I read that with the new Oppo, that the UMT Plus is based on, you can actually "push" audio into it via network. I was wondering how that'd work, before I commit the $$$ to upgrade mine...
Anyone tried this, either with the real UMT Plus or with the Oppo?

alexandre

I'm curious about this one as well...
I was hoping to use the transport (UMT) to stream audio from my shared drive. With the regular UMT, I have to use its UI, which, frankly, sucks.
I read that with the new Oppo, that the UMT Plus is based on, you can actually "push" audio into it via network. I was wondering how that'd work, before I commit the $$$ to upgrade mine...
Anyone tried this, either with the real UMT Plus or with the Oppo?

alexandre

From what I understand the library can be controlled with Jriver / Jremote with this player. Guys on AVS Forum confirmed they are doing this with the 103/105 - does not work with DoP yet. Using the oppo interface with TV screen is a non starter. Also the UMT plus has the I2S pro interface, which should beat the MSB network interface of the original UMT hands down.

I'm planning to do a shootout against the CAPS 3 USB signal path.

From what I understand the library can be controlled with Jriver / Jremote with this player. Guys on AVS Forum confirmed they are doing this with the 103/105 - does not work with DoP yet. Using the oppo interface with TV screen is a non starter. Also the UMT plus has the I2S pro interface, which should beat the MSB network interface of the original UMT hands down.

I'm planning to do a shootout against the CAPS 3 USB signal path.

cool, looking forward to it!

alexandre

cool, looking forward to it!

alexandre

I can do a one man double blind A/B. I will start the same directory with test tracks on a local drive an CAPS 3, and on NAS with the streamer, switch between I2S and USB inputs on the MSB DAC as few times until I lose track of what is playing, close my eyes and pick the best sounding input. My prediction is it will be indistinguishable. We'll see.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing