Most blood pumping adrenaline rushing classical piece.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
On YouTube I prefer Konwitcschny though not on LPs. Szell LPs are superlative of course

And at Sheldonian yesterday, a symphony composed shortly after he realized he was going deaf

Reactions: tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
And at Sheldonian yesterday, a symphony written shortly after he realized he was going deaf

You heard this live? How cool is that. Hearing Beethoven is a blessing. That we are clever enough to write down the notes so they are available centuries later is a blessing. And that we can have this in our homes too. And I really like Christopher Wren architecture.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You heard this live? How cool is that. Hearing Beethoven is a blessing. That we are clever enough to write down the notes so they are available centuries later is a blessing. And that we can have this in our homes too. And I really like Christopher Wren architecture.

Yeah the Sheldonian Is my favorite concert hall. It was built in the 1600s and the acoustics there are fantastic, very different to modern halls, and great performers too. I have to travel to Oxford for this. As this year it's Beethoven's 250th birthday all of Beethoven's compositions are being played somewhere or the other on a daily basis in London and around. I will probably get to watch some rare done stuff like his triple concerto at the Sheldonian

Reactions: Ron Resnick

remdeck

Apr 10, 2018
Where is Respighi?
I think Pines and Fountains of Rome are as good as it gets. Especially under Fritz Reiner.
Church Windows is awesome also.
Holst - The Planets stirrs my blood also, which I have on Super Analogue Disc with Zubin Metha.

Reactions: assessor43

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
And at Sheldonian yesterday, a symphony composed shortly after he realized he was going deaf

Thank you Ked. How far were you from the stage...approximately in meters?

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
There has been shares of mostly well known masterpieces here so I would like to point out to something a little less common, "Weinberg". Especially the Trio Khnopff performances of Weinberg. I always thought these pieces do not get the recognition they deserve. The new Pavane CD ADW7590 has the Moldavian themes which is my favorite but here is a taste from the opus 24, the first piece from the same cd;

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Amadeus,

Fully agreed on the above your insights resonate strongly with my opinion of this masterpiece.

I often feel alone in my obsession with performance trumps all slant,could you be my plus one?

Kindest regards,G.

Yep

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Many blood pumping adrenaline filled pieces from the opera. Surprised no one has included any yet.

Also from the ballet. The most memorable was when I was in college and the Bolshoi Ballet toured the US in 1966, when the iron curtain was still fully enforced. They performed Swan Lake and three of my roommates and I went to see them. We were watching the prima ballerina assoluta (one of the few the world has ever seen) Maya Plisetskaya in the dual role of the white and black swan. At the end of the second act she floats off stage moving her arms as if they were completely fluid. The audience sat in stunned silence as she left the stage and let out a very audible collective gasp, including the four of us - sitting in stunned silence. You can see different clips of her dancing Swan Lake on you tube - most from a decade later, when she was 50! Many consider her the finest ballerina of the 20th century. I was fortunate to meet her around 2012 in London when she was in her mid-80's, still with great posture and presence. Her husband, Rodian Shchedrin was giving a talk and most people didn't even know who she was. She passed away in 2015 at age 89.

Shchedrin wrote a ballet for her based on the music of Bizet's Carmen - many adrenaline filled pieces.

Larry

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
I like this one for performance, recording quality/dynamics: Saint-Saens, Symphony No. 3, Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso, La Muse et le Poete; Stern, Kansas City Symphony, Reference Recordings RR-136 SACD (SACD/HDCD Hybrid)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
How did we miss this? Tang, with your improved videos I need to take out my Sheldonian surround sound to match it.

The first movement highs seem to get compressed on the phone recording. But the bass from my swarm of subs is pretty good, and you can see the rise and fall in the softer moves that can only be achieved by my dual woofer front loaded horns

The music is played so often it gets taken for granted, but when done well it is still one of the best ever.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
How did we miss this? Tang, with your improved videos I need to take out my Sheldonian surround sound to match it.

The first movement highs seem to get compressed on the phone recording. But the bass from my swarm of subs is pretty good, and you can see the rise and fall in the softer moves that can only be achieved by my dual woofer front loaded horns

The music is played so often it gets taken for granted, but when done well it is still one of the best ever.

This is excellent surround sound. I will take these videos for my reference.

Now let me show you my Pacific with 242 and Extreme.

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Tang, I also have another small system to listen to piano only. No crossover

Last edited:
Reactions: Audiophile Bill

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
I'm very much the beginner in this genre, love the Du Pre, Elgar, however the first classical piece that really grabbed me was this blood pumping adrenaline rush - Liadov - Baba Yaga. There others more qualified to give an opinion on which performances to look for

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing