Most Accurate Stylus Force Gauge?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It turns out I have in inventory only that extremely rudimentary Shure tracking force balance device. This thing sure is not of re-assuring quality. That's for sure!

What is the best/most accurate tracking force gauge available today?

Thank you!

Last edited:

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Based on my experience with tools: the plethora of digital gauges with three or more decimal points is not an indication of accuracy. Repeatable and calibrated results are costly to achieve.

Anyways I use the Ortofon as a guide but trust my ears in the end.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Oh, I agree! I assume that any inexpensive digital device displaying to three decimal places is providing a false sense of accuracy.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Anyways I use the Ortofon as a guide but trust my ears in the end.

Is the Ortofon one any better or worse than the Clearaudio one? (Or maybe they're both made in the same Chinese factory?)

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i've owned the Winds ALM-01 for 20 years. never let's me down. repeatable measurements to .01 of a gram. was $700 retail when i bought it.

Reactions: mtemur

Shuggie

Sep 9, 2020
UK
ammonite-audio.co.uk
I nominate the Rega Atlas gauge - designed and manufactured in the UK, extremely accurate, sensitive, and great to use. Pricey, but all things considered fine value.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
i've owned the Winds ALM-01 for 20 years. never let's me down. repeatable measurements to .01 of a gram. was $700 retail when i bought it.

$700 lol. I mean come on, Mike. Literally no way this is more accurate or worth a premium to the $100 versions.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
For years I've used the electric Ortofon DS-3. (There is another Ortofon gauge made of plastic, it's not that one.) Used to be you could only buy these out of Japan on ebay but they are now in the US via amazon. I wouldn't pay more than $115 usd.

I use a small 1 gram weight from Troemner, certified calibrated to ASTM E617-13 Class 7 tolerance standards (well la dee da) to test the Ortofon, which said it measured 1.01g.

I like the DS-3 because its measurement platform is closer to record height than most.

Ortofon DS-3 Stylus Gauge.jpg

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
For years I've used the electric Ortofon DS-3. (There is another Ortofon gauge made of plastic, it's not that one.) Used to be you could only buy these out of Japan on ebay but they are now in the US via amazon. I wouldn't pay more than $115 usd.

I use a small 1 gram weight from Troemner, certified calibrated to ASTM E617-13 Class 7 tolerance standards (well la dee da) to test the Ortofon, which said it measured 1.01g.

I like the DS-3 because its measurement platform is closer to record height than most.

View attachment 112121

I use this one too...accurate enough I would say.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

View attachment 112121

Reactions: tima

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
you can actually use any scale.
go to your post office and ask politely if you can get 1 gram and 2 gram weights you want to test your scale. or you buy yourself which then you know if it is accurate. some scales have a calibration function.
20230619_105902.jpg

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

View attachment 112121

Thank you, Tim!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The Clearaudio is over twice the price of the DS-3.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I bought the Riverside gauge and have found it to be as accurate as the Ortofon DS-3 at a fraction of the cost.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I nominate the Rega Atlas gauge - designed and manufactured in the UK, extremely accurate, sensitive, and great to use. Pricey, but all things considered fine value.

Thank you, Shuggie! I ordered this one. It looks very thoughtfully designed.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
$700 lol. I mean come on, Mike. Literally no way this is more accurate or worth a premium to the $100 versions.
not trying to justify anything, that was a long time ago and that was what it cost. the choice for not going to the hundredth of a gram was much less. figured i would only need to buy it once. never had any reason to change.

the actual accuracy is not that significant. relative consistency is more valuable over time, since listening is the proof. once you dial a cartridge in, then change carts, and switch back, you need to depend of the measurement staying exactly constant. and i have had platters where the measurement changed in different spots based on the composition of the platter and the strength of the cartridge magnets. a dependable tool allows you to recognize that.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
not trying to justify anything, that was a long time ago and that was what it cost. the choice for not going to the hundredth of a gram was much less. figured i would only need to buy it once. never had any reason to change.

the actual accuracy is not that significant. relative consistency is more valuable over time, since listening is the proof. once you dial a cartridge in, then change carts, and switch back, you need to depend of the measurement staying exactly constant. and i have had platters where the measurement changed in different spots based on the composition of the platter and the strength of the cartridge magnets. a dependable tool allows you to recognize that.

Mike, the value changing because of platter/magnet interaction is pretty interesting. I understand that knowing that happens and to what extent it happens can be useful to know, but what can the user do about it once he has the turntable? I would consider that a major flaw in the design of the platter.

I agree with you that relative consistency is more important than actual accuracy with these scales. Repeatability is important when switch between cartridges. I find that the scale on my arm works well enough for this purpose. I am not familiar enough with enough arms to know whether or not most arms have reliable scales on them. My SME arms did, so once I confirmed that the cartridge and arm were balanced properly so that the arm scale was accurate, I no longer had a need for the stylus force gauge.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, the value changing because of platter/magnet interaction is pretty interesting. I understand that knowing that happens and to what extent it happens can be useful to know, but what can the user do about it once he has the turntable? I would consider that a major flaw in the design of the platter.
it's a cartridge<->platter issue. and has to do with the strength of the cartridge magnets and platter metallurgy being spotty (different in different platter locations). if your platter has the same effect everywhere you might still have the issue, but don't obviously know it. i'm sure someone here can provide us a way to measure platter magnetic attraction variance.

i know my CS Port LFT1 has a 40kg stainless steel platter which has this consistent effect, so they changed the newest version to nickel plated brass platter. your AS-2000 has a 100kg (or more) stainless platter. have no idea whether it has this effect.

my Etsuro Gold cartridge seems perfectly happy on my CS Port tt. so i don't worry about it (maybe i should? :rolleyes: )

agree it's preferrable that you don't have any issue with it.

the user can use a different cartridge on that particular platter. but it's helpful to realize it to begin with to be able to avoid that effect on playback.
I agree with you that relative consistency is more important than actual accuracy with these scales. Repeatability is important when switch between cartridges. I find that the scale on my arm works well enough for this purpose. I am not familiar enough with enough arms to know whether or not most arms have reliable scales on them. My SME arms did, so once I confirmed that the cartridge and arm were balanced properly so that the arm scale was accurate, I no longer had a need for the stylus force gauge.
i don't have any arms with dynamic balance where you dial in the tracking force. i did briefly have the Ikeda which did work that way and measuring it did seem accurate.....if not exactly perfectly precise. again, precise is needed for repeatability.

Last edited:

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
. relative consistency is more valuable over time, since listening is the proof. once you dial a cartridge in, then change carts, and switch back, you need to depend of the measurement staying exactly constant.
Yes!

Reactions: Scott Naylor

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing