Mix and match vs. Whole system approach

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014
I'm a fan of MAC electronics but not their speakers...have never cared for their sound. I have VSA speakers..

I've never been a fan of their earlier attempts at speakers, but I haven't sat down and spent any time listening to them, but I've read some reviews and they seemed to be very positive on their newer technology. I think the concept is interesting as what I was told is they are trying to create a sound field more similar to a panel speaker, but with traditional tweeters instead of stretches mylar. I like VSA, I don't know if I would buy them, but I think they are great. but I do know what you mean. I can appreciate your point of view.

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014
For some of us owning different gear is part off the fun, and this "hobby" of ours a journey with an elusive destination. Often our preference and involvement change with income, interests/obligation and marital status. My first system was a full B&O system (I'm Danish) saving my student job salary and bringing it home one Lego block at a time. It looked great and had the coolest remote that controlled everything, even TV and VCR. I was happy until I heard a friends mid fi system at half the price! My next system took up most of my small living room and was the main reason my girlfriend left! I honestly don't think Martin Logan CLS's look like "2 extra doors in the middle of the living room". I haven't had the girl in 20 years, the speakers are still mine. System synergy can be powerful, older Krell and Mbl gear sound best "playing"with their brothers and sisters.Very little equipment is neutral , and other gear was used to voice it! As much as I would love a full MBL system, I have to piece it together as I can afford it, and trying out different cables to make it sound "just right" is fun to!

"2 extra doors....". Um. that's the best line yet. Well, I kind of see what she's talking about. Not that I blame you for keeping the speakers. She should have been a little more understanding.

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014
For some of us owning different gear is part off the fun, and this "hobby" of ours a journey with an elusive destination. Often our preference and involvement change with income, interests/obligation and marital status. My first system was a full B&O system (I'm Danish) saving my student job salary and bringing it home one Lego block at a time. It looked great and had the coolest remote that controlled everything, even TV and VCR. I was happy until I heard a friends mid fi system at half the price! My next system took up most of my small living room and was the main reason my girlfriend left! I honestly don't think Martin Logan CLS's look like "2 extra doors in the middle of the living room". I haven't had the girl in 20 years, the speakers are still mine. System synergy can be powerful, older Krell and Mbl gear sound best "playing"with their brothers and sisters.Very little equipment is neutral , and other gear was used to voice it! As much as I would love a full MBL system, I have to piece it together as I can afford it, and trying out different cables to make it sound "just right" is fun to!

"2 extra doors....". Um. that's the best line yet. Well, I kind of see what she's talking about. Not that I blame you for keeping the speakers. She should have been a little more understanding.

I was been conjured into buying a used, but mint shape pair of the Duntech's. I just didn't have the power to drive the things. they were actually dirt cheap as they had someone that brought them in to the local dealer and Duntech had recently gone out of business, so the seller just wanted to get rid of them. Boy, was i tempted. I had to resist, those things were just massive. They were HUGE boxes. A lot bigger in person than any photo I've seen.

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014
I think it would be a neat experiment to be taken around to different rooms at these audio shows blind folded and we found out at the end of the show what we were listening to as we look at our notes on what we liked and didn't. I think a LOT of us would have a different perspective on certain products.

Portugal

Jan 13, 2013
I think it would be a neat experiment to be taken around to different rooms at these audio shows blind folded and we found out at the end of the show what we were listening to as we look at our notes on what we liked and didn't. I think a LOT of us would have a different perspective on certain products.

Interesting idea. That's the approach in wine tasting.

And ideally all systems playing the same album / track.

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014
Interesting idea. That's the approach in wine tasting.

And ideally all systems playing the same album / track.

And preferably tracks we are familiar with and like. This is more of example focusing on listening without knowing without bias and to maybe understand if we really make our choices based on sound or looks or being a fan of the mfg.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

I think more similar than dissimilar.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I tend to believe that well-designed components with reasonably standard input and output specs play well together, so in past systems, I've mixed them with good results. If I didn't believe that, however, I'd buy electronic components from one manufacturer. I can't say I understand believing in synergy, than taking a path that makes it difficult to achieve.

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing