Mix and match vs. Whole system approach

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014
I've been noticing that there are distinct ways to purchase and select a system.

The mix and match approach vs. buying everything from one mfg. and other variations.

Companies such as Meridian, Steinway/Lyngdorf, MBL, McIntosh, Krell and a few others (sorry for those names I left out, it wasn't intentional) make pretty much everything from the source (CD, DVD, DAC) to the pre-amp, power amp, speakers, even cables. For some, I think it's the best approach since they design everything purposely together to create something that's greater than the sum of all parts. I think this might become more important in the area of building a home theater system, especially with companies like Meridian and Steinway/Lyngdorf since they rely heavily on digital technology through out and they might use special cabling like Meridian's Speakerlink or something similar which is ethernet vs the traditional cabling that has been used for so many years. This approach allows the mfg to focus on designing their products together for a seamless tonal quality. Plus, some people think that esthetics are as important as the sound quality. Some just prefer the matched look of the products and they already know that the product they chose is of high quality and they just like the esthetics and a whole systems approach. I know growing up, I visited several homes where the owner just like McIntosh products and they just liked the look of their products. There's nothing wrong with this since most of the higher end products are high quality and it's just ends up being one's personal preference. Plus, the positive aspects are that everything is designed to work together and it's just a matter of which level of products to fit one's budget. It's nice to know that everything will work well, there's no mismatching of a component and some people really like that approach. For those wondering, I've walked into rooms at shows, stores, and homes where they had the entire system from one mfg and it was just unbelievable at how well the whole thing integrated. I've been in rooms with mix and match systems that sounded unbelievable and some where there were definite holes that needed to be filled.

The mix and match approach seems to be more involved with respect to the selection, procurement, and support processes. With the mix and match, it can sometimes be better because you are free to choose whatever you want, and because there are so many companies that only make speakers, only make electronics, or only make a specific component that is desired, this approach lets you constantly switch products out and upgrade as time/budget allow. The downside is sometimes one product simply doesn't match up with another. I notice that many people will go the route of selecting the electronics from one mfg and the speakers from another, which is very much a hybrid of both approaches. This seems to do well since the pre amp and power amp (which are closely tied to one another) are designed together and match up properly. It's definitely time consuming, anyone who's done this knows that it can be frustrating and if our budget is constrained, it takes a while to get to our ultimate goal. The most frustrating thing I learned about this process is when you upgrade on component, your weakest link is more visible and then you have to concentrate on upgrading that, and it never ends, you always find ways to improve the system, but sometimes the journey is what is the most fun if time permits. I used to practically live at my local stereo store constantly listening to products and going back and forth with loaner equipment, but it is a good way to get to know your local dealer as they can be invaluable when you least expect it. I've gotten some pretty good deals on used trade-ins from my dealer as they knew what I was looking for, and they would call me up right before they did the swap, so it worked out well for all parties involved. I like those situations. EVERYONE wins! But for those just starting out, the mix and match is a GREAT learning experience, while the whole system approach is for those that simply know pretty much what they want in a system and just want to bite the bullet, walk into the store and buy the entire system all at once and not have to spend much time listening to different components. And for some that works out nicely.

I've done both approaches myself, so I have a little experience doing both. I found that getting support during the setup (more involved with home theater systems) the whole system approach was better, at least for me. That's just my opinion. The reason is that the brand I chose was not exactly the easiest to set up and actually required someone that was trained in the set up procedures. I fortunately obtained through my dealer the set up training manual that their employees used when they attended the mfg training sessions so that was IMMENSELY helpful. Anytime I had any issues since I added and changed the system with other components that came out later, the mfg was VERY helpful in assisting me in the setup.

The mix and match approach is very attractive because sometimes there's a product that comes out that is just so compelling, that you just want that product and you may not be in a position to buy the entire system all at once. I think people that are more limited in their financial aspects are forced to buy components one at a time and they actually enjoy the pursuit of their ultimate system and the path of trying different things, buying and selling new or used and slowly updating products as time goes on. there seems to be quite a lot of people buying and selling items on eBay, Audiogon and other places on the internet, which makes this a LOT easier than prior to the internet. The biggest downfall of the mix and match approach is that these mfg sometimes just don't have much experience with matching their product to certain brands so they might not be of great help. So many of them will only have experience matching their products with a limited number of other mfg and that sometimes forces you to look at certain mfg to match components.

The other trend in the mix and match approach is the AIO electronics/speaker. There are plenty of companies such as Devialet, Wadia, etc. that are designing a system that has everything in one well designed and built product and all you really have to do is add a source (now a computer) and select the speakers/cable and that's it. That does make sense for people that want something simple, requiring less room, don't want to hassle with lots of cables and these systems have plenty of power to drive pretty much any speaker system on the market (Maybe not at full volume levels) but definitely enough to drive most speakers at desired listening levels. I find this approach is great for those that want a bedroom/office or just live in an apartment or small home and simply just want good audio without all of the vast array of boxes and cables. They do have the high WAF factor.

Obviously, there is, or at least was a growing trend in the higher end AIO system like the Meridian M/F80, B&W, Arcam, etc. make higher end boom boxes, for lack of another word, where high quality components are put into one box. While not the most optimal system, these systems still can provide good audio with a limited budget, but more importantly can be easily moved from room to room and generally provide good sound. I've read reviews where some of these products actually started rivaling larger systems. And there is something to be said about taking your system with you when you travel or you want to take it from room to room. In this category the Meridian M/F80 comes to mind and while the looks were questionable for some, that thing would surprise most people when you turned the thing on. I miss them not making that product, but maybe Meridian will release an updated product. For some, it's all they need or want due to limited budget, room size, etc.

Obviously, the third method is DIY, but most of the time that's typically DIY speakers, which can many times work out quite well. I've been amazed at some people's DIY speaker projects. Yes, I've seen some that were not that good, but I've heard some that were flat out quite good sounding. Selecting good components and just making their own cabinet that's well designed and mfg is what some people can be quite good at. And sometimes, they end up becoming a speaker company. Nothing wrong with that, it's just their passion. I'm surprised some of the mfg haven't offered a "Heathkit" approach where they provide everything except the solder and soldering gun and your labor to put together each component. This is a trend I thought might have caught on a little more with respect with the electronics, but apparently not quite as much as I was hoping. Some people simply don't have the money or they want some project to work on with their kids as they grow up where the kids spend time learning about nice quality equipment but on a limited budget. That's what some were doing when I grew up as Dad (usually) would take us to HeathKit and buy DIY amps, pre amps, etc. It's a lot of fun for kids to get that experience.

bottom line, no matter which direction you travel in this, there will be pros and cons and it's just a matter of figuring out what your thresholds are.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
I spent the last few months on head-fi, where the median age is ~21, perhaps even younger. They're heavily into "stacks," ie. matching amp and DAC sitting on top of each other. The manufacturers that cater to that community respond accordingly and offer stacks in a variety of price ranges starting as low as $200 for the pair. If we look at those folks as the future, and I understand that most will drop out way before they hit middle-age, the matching component sector may grow further and wider in scope.

On a personal level, I associate matching components with a lifestyle decision and a mix as the hobbyist approach, right or wrong.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I am all McIntosh top to bottom which I'm sure won't elevate my status as an "audiophile" but I do believe there is something to say for synergy..

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014
I spent the last few months on head-fi, where the median age is ~21, perhaps even younger. They're heavily into "stacks," ie. matching amp and DAC sitting on top of each other. The manufacturers that cater to that community respond accordingly and offer stacks in a variety of price ranges starting as low as $200 for the pair. If we look at those folks as the future, and I understand that most will drop out way before they hit middle-age, the matching component sector may grow further and wider in scope.

On a personal level, I associate matching components with a lifestyle decision and a mix as the hobbyist approach, right or wrong.

$200 for the pair? For a DAC and Amp? What are they using that's that cheap? Heck, just a DAC by itself starts at about $200. I haven't spent much time at head-fi. I think I read one or two posts there, but not anything more than that.

Well, in the case of Meridian or Steinway/Lyngdorf, they have their DSP technology whereby you can do things ONLY with their complete setup. Yes, you can buy a Meridian Processor and connect to non-Meridian "analog" components (amps, speakers), but there are certain things you simply can't do with a mixed Meridian setup. I've done both. When it comes to amp/pre amp combinations, the mfg match them so they integrate better. I think buying matching amp/pre amp is many times easier to match, even though it is possible to mix different brands together, it just takes a while to figure out which products matches well. Some companies are developing proprietary connections like Meridian's Speakerlink where it only works with other Meridian products. Right or wrong, that's what they do and many of their customers will just buy Meridian, some mix and match their processors with other non-Meridian speakers/amps. It's just a little more involved to get working. At least it's been that way in the past. I haven't played around with their latest setup software, so I don't know if they've made it easier.

In terms of being a lifestyle or hobbyist approach? I think it's just a personal preference. Buying audio equipment for home is a hobby, buying audio equipment for work is of a professional capacity. There are professional studios/sound reinforcement systems where the company/studio will buy products that are well matched by the same company. Some studios will just collect as much gear as they possibly can and try to connect them together depending on the requirements, but the end result doesn't always work out. But on the other side, there are those that buy only from one mfg. Example. Meyer Sound Labs are professional sound reinforcement systems and their customers buy the speakers and their processors since they are designed to work well together instead of buying another brand processor. Yes, the Meridian M/F80 was considered more a lifestyle product, but it actually approached real audio, it was kind of scary. I think in terms that "lifestyle" products aren't anything in the high fi audio category, I consider those silly low end systems more lifestyle. You know, those inexpensive iPod docking station speakers that are more low fi products for casual listening by people that want background music as compared to people that do serious listening.

The "lifestyle" word seems more like a marketing term that's almost meaningless to me. I never understood why people used that term in the first place. But that's just my opinion.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
$200 for the pair? For a DAC and Amp? What are they using that's that cheap? Heck, just a DAC by itself starts at about $200. I haven't spent much time at head-fi. I think I read one or two posts there, but not anything more than that.

http://schiit.com/

[...]

The "lifestyle" word seems more like a marketing term that's almost meaningless to me. I never understood why people used that term in the first place. But that's just my opinion.

Lifestyle is just that: gear that fits into folks' living environments, as a prime directive. Like when my parents bought all-in-one in 1977. They didn't love audio, but wanted to have something "nice" in the house. Lifestyle.

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014
I am all McIntosh top to bottom which I'm sure won't elevate my status as an "audiophile" but I do believe there is something to say for synergy..

I see nothing wrong with the All McIntosh setup. It might not be my cup of tea, but they make well built/designed products and if you like the sound of McIntosh, that's completely your preference. I understand both approaches. I haven't had much experience with their new speakers where they have a bunch of tweeters, etc. But I've heard good things about them. But they have their place as putting out quality products.

I think any decent system is going to sound good in a well tuned room.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
There is something to say about synergy, but I don't feel that a "jack of all trades" is the best approach for a manufacturer. No manufacturer is good at everything, except maybe for Harman.
You can look at the other side of the coin and say that anyone who buys into a "all in one" system is too lazy to work at a good sound. Matching pre/amp is the only thing I would consider. I love Pass, but consider their speakers not up to the standard of their electronics.

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014

I'll check out the Schiit products. I only glanced at them a long time ago.

Lifestyle is just that: gear that fits into folks' living environments, as a prime directive. Like when my parents bought all-in-one in 1977. They didn't love audio, but wanted to have something "nice" in the house. Lifestyle.

Maybe the word "Lifestyle" is replacing the term Low Fi. You know, like those BOSE systems. I think they coined the term first. But as they say. Better Off with Something Else.

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014
There is something to say about synergy, but I don't feel that a "jack of all trades" is the best approach for a manufacturer. No manufacturer is good at everything, except maybe for Harman.
You can look at the other side of the coin and say that anyone who buys into a "all in one" system is too lazy to work at a good sound. Matching pre/amp is the only thing I consider.

I don't know. MBL seems to make everything well, if you like their speakers. But I understand your perspective. I guess it's whatever floats one's boat.

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014

I think the Schiit products are for the "I don't have much money but want to put together a reasonable computer stereo". It's entry level stuff for small computer speakers. It's probably better than using those BOSE powered speakers, so at least they are getting into seperates.

I still don't understand how they turn Schiit into Shih-tah. Maybe someone didn't get hooked on phonics. Oh well.

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014
One thing I've experienced over the years is our tastes change. What I thought was good audio 30+ years ago, I don't like now. I remember hearing Klipsh LaScala connected to McIntosh amps back when I was a kid in the early '70's. and thought it was just amazing system. But now, I wouldn't. Too harsh sounding for my taste and I would probably get ear fatigue since a friend of mine had them and I got reintroduced to them in the mid-80's and they were too harsh for me. It could have very well had a lot to do with the cables since I now know cables make a difference and now I can HEAR those subtle differences and how it affects the harshness of a system. I notice my listening skills have certainly changed over the years. What used to take me hours or days to notice, I sometimes notice within minutes as i've learned to focus in on certain qualities now. My hearing is VERY sensitive to high frequency distortion and if I hear it, no matter how expensive or nice a system might be, if i hear certain things in the high frequencies, I will simply choose something else. I don't what to attribute that to, it's just something I've become VERY sensitive about.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS

Maybe the word "Lifestyle" is replacing the term Low Fi. You know, like those BOSE systems. I think they coined the term first. But as they say. Better Off with Something Else.

Lifestyle. We're way past Bose.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
I think the Schiit products are for the "I don't have much money but want to put together a reasonable computer stereo". It's entry level stuff for small computer speakers. It's probably better than using those BOSE powered speakers, so at least they are getting into seperates.

Please reread my post where I discussed the stacks.

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014

Lifestyle. We're way past Bose.

I think you might be confusing size and looks for lifestyle. The products you have pictured here are nice, well built, good sounding product that attractive and doesn't take up much room. Chord does something similar. Some of us want something that doesn't take up lots of room, have unsightly cables, etc. Some of these mfg want to make nice products but still have a high WAF factor. How many people have wives that just won't allow big massive power amps, pre amps, cables that take up 1/4 of the room, but we still want good audio?

I have an office where I am limited on space, but still want good audio and within a certain budget? I don't have room for HUGE amps, nor do i need big power amps. For small rooms, we don't need huge amps, etc. I wouldn't consider the products in the photo to be lifestyle. I think they are well designed products that are better suited for small environments. Same thing with Devialet, Wadia, Chord, etc where they pack everything in smaller form factors with a high level of esthetic appeal without costing a kagillion dollars. Some of us don't have the room, need or money for the ultra dollar systems.

I think B&O are more lifestyle as they put looks before sound.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
I think you might be confusing size and looks for lifestyle. The products you have pictured here are nice, well built, good sounding product that attractive and doesn't take up much room. Chord does something similar. Some of us want something that doesn't take up lots of room, have unsightly cables, etc. Some of these mfg want to make nice products but still have a high WAF factor. How many people have wives that just won't allow big massive power amps, pre amps, cables that take up 1/4 of the room, but we still want good audio?

I have an office where I am limited on space, but still want good audio and within a certain budget? I don't have room for HUGE amps, nor do i need big power amps. For small rooms, we don't need huge amps, etc. I wouldn't consider the products in the photo to be lifestyle. I think they are well designed products that are better suited for small environments. Same thing with Devialet, Wadia, Chord, etc where they pack everything in smaller form factors with a high level of esthetic appeal without costing a kagillion dollars. Some of us don't have the room, need or money for the ultra dollar systems.

I think B&O are more lifestyle as they put looks before sound.

Let's just agree to disagree. This isn't going anywhere.

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014
You can look at the other side of the coin and say that anyone who buys into a "all in one" system is too lazy to work at a good sound. Matching pre/amp is the only thing I would consider. I love Pass, but consider their speakers not up to the standard of their electronics.

Yeah, I'm sure it will take Pass a couple of passes (no pun intended) to get their speaker line together. Speakers can take many years to perfect. Even Wilson improves their systems every so many years and they've been doing it for several decades.

When you talk Harmon, are you referring to the Harmon products with the Harmon name or the various brands they bought? I've noticed that some of the premium brands they bought have gone down hill. They are trying to resurrect the jBL as high end home audio, but I just don't think they will capture the status they once had. But the Harmon home electronics is more mass merchandised product borrowing some things from other lines they bought.

For some of these companies they almost have to do the "I make everything approach" as they have a certain amount of customer loyalty that almost demands it.B&O has their loyal crowd, McIntosh, Meridian, etc. and a lot of their customers simply like the company and will only buy their products as they know what to expect. If the company can get consistency in what they do, I think that's why they get that loyalty. Obviously, they do go through their ups and downs.

I talked about this subject with a local dealer and he said that they almost HAVE to have at least one or two of these types of brands just to keep the door open, as that's what a lot of their customers want. So, they'll have one or two "we make everything" and then they'll bring in other brands, but unfortunately, the brands that only make this or that, seem to go in and out of vogue. What's hot today many times doesn't last.

I saw one retail that does more high end install work that focuses on mostly high end home theaters mostly and they ONLY sell one brand, Steinway/Lyngdorf. That's all they sell for audio. How they can do that I haven't a clue. I know they make nice products, but to only have one brand? I don't know how they can survive with it. Maybe that will change.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
When I think of Harman for speakers, I look to the Revel line. I like the Salon series. And for electronics, I'd choose their ML line.
I know they are trying to ressurect JBL, but I think it's more of the JBL synthesis and home theatre line.

RichDavis

Feb 3, 2014
When I think of Harman for speakers, I look to the Revel line. I like the Salon series. And for electronics, I'd choose their ML line.
I know they are trying to ressurect JBL, but I think it's more of the JBL synthesis and home theatre line.

Oh, OK, that clarifies things. I was referring to the Everest project and the various speakers they are putting out. They seem to get a lot of people's attention from the "high end" crowd. I don't know how good they sound, but for those that like horns, I'm sure they sound decent with good electronics/cables.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I see nothing wrong with the All McIntosh setup. It might not be my cup of tea, but they make well built/designed products and if you like the sound of McIntosh, that's completely your preference. I understand both approaches. I haven't had much experience with their new speakers where they have a bunch of tweeters, etc. But I've heard good things about them. But they have their place as putting out quality products.

I think any decent system is going to sound good in a well tuned room.

I'm a fan of MAC electronics but not their speakers...have never cared for their sound. I have VSA speakers..

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I don't know. MBL seems to make everything well, if you like their speakers. But I understand your perspective. I guess it's whatever floats one's boat.
For some of us owning different gear is part off the fun, and this "hobby" of ours a journey with an elusive destination. Often our preference and involvement change with income, interests/obligation and marital status. My first system was a full B&O system (I'm Danish) saving my student job salary and bringing it home one Lego block at a time. It looked great and had the coolest remote that controlled everything, even TV and VCR. I was happy until I heard a friends mid fi system at half the price! My next system took up most of my small living room and was the main reason my girlfriend left! I honestly don't think Martin Logan CLS's look like "2 extra doors in the middle of the living room". I haven't had the girl in 20 years, the speakers are still mine. System synergy can be powerful, older Krell and Mbl gear sound best "playing"with their brothers and sisters.Very little equipment is neutral , and other gear was used to voice it! As much as I would love a full MBL system, I have to piece it together as I can afford it, and trying out different cables to make it sound "just right" is fun to!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing