Mid range phono stage... what shortlist? (£2k second hand)

benito

Jul 23, 2018
France
I’m in between a gold note PH1000 Lite and the Whest Audio 30 or 40. Any advice please?

Reactions: Ricco275

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
Thank you @benito i don’t have enough space for the Allnic lol. I’m more into SS, regardless dimensions.

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
I’m in between a gold note PH1000 Lite and the Whest Audio 30 or 40. Any advice please?
Just my opinion... My choice will go to Goldnote 1000 for overall flexibility of use.
Selection of impedance and gain through front display is simply another world in comparison of Whest line which has an annoying selection with dip switches in lower chassis.
I had Whest 30rdt and 30SE in the past. They sounded good and correct, they were just a little bit prone sometimes to catch radio noises in my home. I found that were undoubtly overpriced considering the minimal circuit you find inside but all here knows that this is a common problem in high-end audio.
Later I replaced with a modest Goldnote PH-10 (not the expensive 1000) with external PSU; less than a half price of Whest 30 and very similar sound quality and... Last but not least I finally had the option of some EQ Curves; maybe you're not interested in explorying the matter, nevermind... Me I don't wanna go back without EQ options.
Marco

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
Just my opinion... My choice will go to Goldnote 1000 for overall flexibility of use.
Selection of impedance and gain through front display is simply another world in comparison of Whest line which has an annoying selection with dip switches in lower chassis.
I had Whest 30rdt and 30SE in the past. They sounded good and correct, they were just a little bit prone sometimes to catch radio noises in my home. I found that were undoubtly overpriced considering the minimal circuit you find inside but all here knows that this is a common problem in high-end audio.
Later I replaced with a modest Goldnote PH-10 (not the expensive 1000) with external PSU; less than a half price of Whest 30 and very similar sound quality and... Last but not least I finally had the option of some EQ Curves; maybe you're not interested in explorying the matter, nevermind... Me I don't wanna go back without EQ options.
Marco
Grazie Marco for your insights. I am interested in the EQ if I can use it as kind of loudness button feature. I can listen mostly to low volume and that would help. I love the aesthetics of gold note, aesthetics is highly important to me, I listen with my eyes too! The only reason I was looking at Whest is that they seem to have wide and deep soundstage which is what I like. Gold Note had mixed review in that sense. Unfortunately I won't be able to audition it before purchasing, that's why the hesitation. What are your impression on the PH10 soundstage?

benito

Jul 23, 2018
France

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
Grazie Marco for your insights. I am interested in the EQ if I can use it as kind of loudness button feature. I can listen mostly to low volume and that would help. I love the aesthetics of gold note, aesthetics is highly important to me, I listen with my eyes too! The only reason I was looking at Whest is that they seem to have wide and deep soundstage which is what I like. Gold Note had mixed review in that sense. Unfortunately I won't be able to audition it before purchasing, that's why the hesitation. What are your impression on the PH10 soundstage?
About soundstage I can tell you PH-10 that is not among the best contenders. Presentation of instruments Is proportionally well sized; wide but not so deep. I listen every week with It in my system but It lacks in the sense of ambience and space that the best phono can reveal.
Overall the Goldnote ph-10 is quiet, fast and well extended a bargain considering features and costs. But It lacks in the bass & midbass area in punch and authority. Also Whest 30 was not superb in this context.
Allnic 3000, Boulder 1008 and Whest Ref mono mkIV; all these were undoubtly better than Goldnote and Whest 30 but costs are sooo higher...

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
About soundstage I can tell you PH-10 that is not among the best contenders. Presentation of instruments Is proportionally well sized; wide but not so deep. I listen every week with It in my system but It lacks in the sense of ambience and space that the best phono can reveal.
Overall the Goldnote ph-10 is quiet, fast and well extended a bargain considering features and costs. But It lacks in the bass & midbass area in punch and authority. Also Whest 30 was not superb in this context.
Allnic 3000, Boulder 1008 and Whest Ref mono mkIV; all these were undoubtly better than Goldnote and Whest 30 but costs are sooo higher...
Thanks Marco. I need to find out if the PH1000 lite will deliver the same soundstage width and depth.

Anthony Ho

Aug 19, 2019
I have the Whest 40SE previously before upgraded to Titan Pro series, the 40SE is absolutely brilliant although at a much higher price tag. Great definition and accurate sound, but better to pair with warmer interconnect or power cable IMHO. A bit clumsy to access the dip switches underneath but all i care about is the sound quality it produced.

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia
I wanted a second phono instead of the internal phono in my amp (main phono is RCM Sensor Mk2). I gave James Henriot at Whest a call. What a charming man. Has another life as a recording engineer and is a complete jazz nut. Turns out we've been to quite a few of the same gigs around London. Bought a Two.2 Discrete. He suggested I pop round and pick it up, wish I declined because the chances are I'd end up there all afternoon.

Reactions: wbass

wbass

Jul 12, 2020
I wanted a second phono instead of the internal phono in my amp (main phono is RCM Sensor Mk2). I gave James Henriot at Whest a call. What a charming man. Has another life as a recording engineer and is a complete jazz nut. Turns out we've been to quite a few of the same gigs around London. Bought a Two.2 Discrete. He suggested I pop round and pick it up, wish I declined because the chances are I'd end up there all afternoon.
Sounds like a result. Didn't know Whest was in London.

Reactions: ssfas

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia
Sounds like a result. Didn't know Whest was in London.
He’s just off the Chiswick roundabout (for those who know London). I live about 10 miles round the North Circular, from me to Whest is about 15 minutes at 3 am and about an hour at 3 pm. 3 am would be good for me, probably not for him. I’d drive past Vertere on the way, so I could pop into Touraj’s place and get a turntable. I like Touraj and his devices, he’s well respected. Fortunately I just bought a turntable, which was a 350 mile round trip to Classic Turntables, although I was home by lunchtime.

Reactions: wbass and defride

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing