Mid range phono stage... what shortlist? (£2k second hand)

Tim F

Jun 11, 2018
One way to look at the 88PB is that you don't need a preamp, so that saves money. The gain knob on the 88PB is an Alps pot which you can use as volume control. So cartridge -> 88PB -> amplifier. They pop up used in Europe from time to time.
Friend has a moon integrated so no benefit to a separate pre :)

richard_crl032

Sep 10, 2019
Singapore
So many suggestions! Thanks all

I can look at all of these, if they have “beaten” something else that’d be really helpful to know, or if you heard them what were they like?

cheers Tim
Do check out what is LCR phono amp is about e.g. recommended Aurorasound Vida.

Verdict

This quintessentially Japanese slice of analogue exotica is artfully engineered to give an incisive and detailed sound, yet one that’s genuinely musical too, providing a wide open window onto the vinyl groove.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220123-212813_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220123-212813_Chrome.jpg
    446.2 KB · Views: 7

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
So many suggestions! Thanks all

I can look at all of these, if they have “beaten” something else that’d be really helpful to know, or if you heard them what were they like?

cheers Tim
My Goldnote PH10 +PSU replaced a more expensive Whest PS30RDT SE and is a distinct improvement in sound quality.
All the settings are adjustable from the front knob which is such a welcome change from fiddling around with rear dip switches.
It is actually an interim buy while awaiting a Luxman EQ 500 which has been unavailable for nearly twelve months now because Luxman have been unable to get the parts, but it has comfortably exceeded expectations at its price level.
Certainly worth the time to checkout.

Reactions: Tim F

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
My Goldnote PH10 +PSU replaced a more expensive Whest PS30RDT SE and is a distinct improvement in sound quality.
All the settings are adjustable from the front knob which is such a welcome change from fiddling around with rear dip switches.
It is actually an interim buy while awaiting a Luxman EQ 500 which has been unavailable for nearly twelve months now because Luxman have been unable to get the parts, but it has comfortably exceeded expectations at its price level.
Certainly worth the time to checkout.
What a curious situation! Mee too I had exactly the same Whest phonostage and I replaced in 2018 by a Goldnote PH-10 with separate PSU. Exactly as you...
All the best
Marco

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
There is a Tom Evans Groove 20 th anniversary for sale @ £1500.
Even better and UK ( Wales) based is Tom Evans Groove + SRX mk2 .
SRX stands for separate power supply , mk2 has new Lithos regulators with improved signal to noise ratio.
The new one costs around 5 k GBP but second hand should be available for 2- 2,5 k GBP.
Tom can adjust the phono stage for the output of you cartrigde which he did for my Shelter Harmony, I am very happy with the combo.

Last edited:
Reactions: matakana

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Klyne 7px phono used for this price around 2.5k€ View attachment 88361
Stan Klyne lives an hour or so out of Seattle. I emailed him a few years ago to see of he still makes any new product, he is retired. Shame no one carries on the company as his phono is / was quite good. I never see them for sale tho...

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Stan Klyne lives an hour or so out of Seattle. I emailed him a few years ago to see of he still makes any new product, he is retired. Shame no one carries on the company as his phono is / was quite good. I never see them for sale tho...
The last one sold at ebay for 1200€ in oktober 2021, i was to slow.
it is an exceptional piece of equipment it does not limit, no matter what type of pickup is connected it brings the advantages or errors to light. there was no review in europe so it got never the attention it deserved.

Tim F

Jun 11, 2018
Goldnote PH10 and PSU picked up. Can’t thank you all enough. There is a luxman on hifiwigwam

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Great Tim.
I am sure you will be very pleased with it.
Thank you very much for the heads up on Luxman. I have sent him a PM and am waiting to hear back.

Reactions: Tim F

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Goldnote PH10 and PSU picked up. Can’t thank you all enough. There is a luxman on hifiwigwam
Hi Tim
Just a quick update on my earlier post.
I got in touch with the Hifiwigwam seller of the Luxman EQ500 you kindly alerted me to. Finalised a deal with him earlier today in which he as bought my PH10/PSU as art of the deal for the Luxman.
Due to arrive on Tuesday am.
So many thanks and I hope you are enjoying the your Goldnote.
Best
Barry

dhansak79

Jan 28, 2022
Hi everyone. Thanks to Tim and your advice my Gold Note PH10 and PS10 arrived today and I’m currently revelling in a step change in sound quality in my system.

Tim suggested I ask for some help with settings here. I’d be interested in any advice.

I have Rega P8/Apheta 3, Moon 340iX and Monitor Audio Gold 100 in addition to the Gold Note.

Thank you in advance
Daniel

Croc999

Jan 4, 2024
Israel
I've got CANOR TP306 VR+ - and it sounds amazing.
Built like a tank. Better than my ARC Ref5 preamp.
And it's flexible with gains and loadings - which was important to me and indeed paid dividends in tuning sound just right to my liking.

Canor.jpg

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
I’m in between a gold note PH1000 Lite and the Whest Audio 30 or 40. Any advice please?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing