Magico S5

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I guess I praised these speakers a bit too soon. My neighbors recently moved so last night I thought I would go a bit higher with the volume to try and find an upper limit. The pre was in the low 80s for the first time and Foghat's Slow Ride was playing, when the right channel went out. All the electronics seemed fine, as did all connections. Today I attached a spare center channel speaker to the right channel's speaker cable, and it is fine. Hook the S5 back up, and nothing. There is a faint sound from the woofer, but nothing from the mid and tweeter.

Darn. Now to contact Magico on Monday to start the repair process. While I am disappointed here, my biggest regret is the agony of having to box it, ship it, get it back, and reverse the process. :)

What a bummer. It will be interesting to learn what the problem is. If I recall correctly, Magico doesn't use any sort of resistors (like Wilson does) because they feel it adversely affects the sound. Given that you don't hear sound from any of the drivers, it must be some sort of crossover that failed?

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
I guess I praised these speakers a bit too soon. My neighbors recently moved so last night I thought I would go a bit higher with the volume to try and find an upper limit. The pre was in the low 80s for the first time and Foghat's Slow Ride was playing, when the right channel went out. All the electronics seemed fine, as did all connections. Today I attached a spare center channel speaker to the right channel's speaker cable, and it is fine. Hook the S5 back up, and nothing. There is a faint sound from the woofer, but nothing from the mid and tweeter.

Darn. Now to contact Magico on Monday to start the repair process. While I am disappointed here, my biggest regret is the agony of having to box it, ship it, get it back, and reverse the process. :)
Bud,
Try again tomorrow, but leave the music playing at a very low volume overnight- barely audible on both channels. Last year, my wife accidentally flipped the 260 on with the pre amp up all the way, with music already playing via MacBook. Had a little distortion, let it settle down with music playing overnight at low level, and distortion mostly disappeared. Didn't wait long enough, and went ahead and shipped back to Magico. Tested perfectly at Magico, and when shipped back to me, they sounded perfect. May work for you also. The speakers can take a lot apparently. Good luck - Magico has superb service but it is a PIA to move and repackage those beasts.
Barry

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Interesting. I like self correcting failures. I will try that. While I didn't smell any burnt electrical components, I suspect I did something to the cross-over.

stereo

Sep 1, 2012

Sorry to hear that. From what you describe, the problem is that your amp is too small for the volume you did select on the pre. When it started to clip, it did send some flattened out sinus wave (i.e., DC like) in the speakers. As you can imagine, DC is not good for the speaker: it can burn the woofer voice coil or an XO component. Problem is not that you played too loud for the speakers, but too loud for the amp you are using. At least you are not far from factory, maybe you can contact them and organize a short trip to drop them in person for a fast repair?
good luck!

Last edited:

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Good luck Bud,

This will be a great test for Magico service and repair. I hope they take great care of you very quickly.

Interesting. I like self correcting failures. I will try that. While I didn't smell any burnt electrical components, I suspect I did something to the cross-over.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Sorry to hear that. From what you describe, the problem is that your amp is too small for the volume you did select on the pre. When it started to clip, it did send some flattened out sinus wave (i.e., DC like) in the speakers. As you can imagine, DC is not good for the speaker: it can burn the woofer voice coil or an XO component. Problem is not that you played too loud for the speakers, but too loud for the amp you are using.

The amps are Pass Labs X600.5 (1200W @ 4 ohms), so I don't think that is the issue, but, yes, it is possible. When it stopped playing there was no apparent clipping, distortion, or any other audible sign there was a problem. I was thinking this is amazing how loud these speakers can play. Granted, it was to loud for human life, but other than that it seemed okay. Anyway, after I get it fixed I know not to leave the 70s with this preamp (Pass XP-20).

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
It wouldn't be sluggish. Of course with a fine automobile you want to run the cleanest high octane gaz. ;)

Not even a knock or two? :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Upon further reflection Francisco, would you put 87 octane into a Ferrari and then complain about its sluggish acceleration?

You have a point - but IMHO the S5 is not a Ferrari equivalent and you are really feeding them with jet fuel ...;)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
You have a point - but IMHO the S5 is not a Ferrari equivalent and you are really feeding them with jet fuel ...;)

Well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that subject. I think while you might come to a different conclusion using digital, it wouldn't be the right conclusion.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Still broken. No miracles here. Will contact Magico tomorrow and start the repair process.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Now let's hope they don't come back and say the warranty is void because of abuse.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
There is no warranty since I bought these used. I have no problem with that. Since I am not far from Magico I hope they can fix it in my home. I will be more than happy to pay extra to make that happen.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Still broken. No miracles here. Will contact Magico tomorrow and start the repair process.

Sorry to hear about that. Based on the levels that you were playing, I will guess that your amp reached its maximum output, that will cause clipping.
Clipping will most likely fry some or all drivers/XO. I am sure it can all be fixed, but that may be costly. You may need a more powerful amp if you wish to play that loud (that is crazy levels, I think :cool:).

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
There is no warranty since I bought these used. I have no problem with that. Since I am not far from Magico I hope they can fix it in my home. I will be more than happy to pay extra to make that happen.
As an S5 owner, I feel your pain Bud. But good on you for taking it on the chin and getting the process started. Let us know how it all goes :)

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Bud,

Send them back- Magico really can't trouble shoot and evaluate their fix in your home. They run all their speakers through tests before shipping them out, including listening to them in their special listening room. They did the same when I sent mine back to the factory for a checkup after my mishap. I think it will be worth the extra hassle and costs in shipping, IMHO.

Barry

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing