Magico S5 vs Wilson Alexia

Status
Not open for further replies.
It only makes sense for the Q5 to be phased out, a new model to be introduced shortly after. It was the first all-aluminum Magico speaker, with old(er) drivers, and also highly inefficient. Magico advanced considerably since the Q5 introduction, so a Q5 mk2 makes a lot of sense.

alexandre

That, plus the fact it's getting too expensive, like the M5 before itself was phased out.

Having heard the Q3 and bought the S5, they are definitely different speakers from the same brand. I loved the Q3s, but my preference of rock, blues, and electronic music led me to the S5. (Didn't hurt that they have easily removable, protective grills) If I had a Q3 or Q5 already, I'd consider augmenting the bass with Magico's new sub. You may not like the Q sound, but no one can deny the transparency and clarity that the speaker brings to the table. I don't think any Magico (or for that matter Wilson, YG, Rockport, B & W, Sonus Faber, etc.) owner needs to worry about having to listen to mediocre sound.:D

That, plus the fact it's getting too expensive, like the M5 before itself was phased out.

At $65k, it's not too expensive for what it is, IMHO. At its size, weight, and driver complement, there's very little out there. If a new "mk2" is introduced, it'll either be at the same price point, or $5k cheaper/dearer.

From what I see, most people end up preferring the S-line, and that's Magico's slam dunk. The Q line is NOT attractive for people used to traditional wooden box speakers, with ported bass. Too much of a change. So the S line was made to introduce people to the Magico sound. Once they're hooked, there's always the more expensive Q line to upgrade to :)

That's good engineering, and of course, good product marketing!

alexandre

The Q5 price right now is $71.5K plus tax... ~$75-78K. But more than that, what's the price overseas.

The Q5 price right now is $71.5K plus tax... ~$75-78K. But more than that, what's the price overseas.
Uk is (I think) $110K+

Long time reader, first time posting. I apologize for my English, I would do my best. I love this forum, although many times it is actually more confusing than helpful. I experienced a situation similar to that mbovaird is describing. I am a fan of Wilson for a long time, starting in WP 5, 7, and then Sasha. After listening to the presentation of Peter McGrath Alexia, my mind was made up, and I ordered a pair. At the same time, a good friend of mind got the delivery on a S5 Magico. It was last summer, just before the time of traditional holiday here, and since my friend would have been out for nearly a month, (and I was not :(), I offered to run them in for him. I connected them, right next to my beloved Sasha, and thought; what was my friend was thinking when he ordered them? I was totally underwhelm, but I let them play. The next day I can go back and listen to a little more. Thought it had improved, but still, I was not very impressed, the bass was a bit dry, the trebles were not sparkling, the stage was not so wide, and so I gave it another day, and I could tell that they are improving a lot, they become more fluid , more sweet and colorful, but the basic feature has not changed, I still do not think my cup of tea... But then, I made a critical error. I put my beloved Sasha back. Was quite shock at what I was hearing. Actually, I was convinced that something went wrong with my front end. I spent a few hours trying to get back the sound that I had, or at least the sound that I thought I had. I even taken the S5 in to a different room, just in case. To make a long story short, the nirvana I once had in my mind, it was completely gone. The Sasha I remembered, it was lost forever. I heard so many issues now, I simply was not aware of before. Most obvious was the lack of real low bass, and treble sound grungy unbearable. Also, the sound was much less clear and define. Before I heard the S5, honestly I never noticed any of that. I also realize that the large stage I thought I had was completely false. Meaning, everything that I had played sounded like it was in the same space, probably because of what felt to me now as an elevated upper midrange. I can go on, but you get the drift. I reconnect the S5 and it has been a revolution, suddenly, what was not so awesome, first obtaining much more impressive now. I could clearly hear bass notes that the Sasha did not even play. The entire power-region (100Hz - 500Hz ), was much more dense , it was really incredible . What was really alarming to think that I totally missed that the first time I heard the S5. It became clear to me that the issues I was hearing with the Wilson, were the real reason I was drown to them in the first place. I now understand why they are so demanding and difficult to configure. They really need a lot of help to work. I have spent a lot of time contemplating on this experience. Obviously we make decisions that many times have nothing to do with reason. So what was my real reason for buying the Wilson in the beginning? Why didn’t I hear all these problem before?

My story , of course, goes on. Remember, I had an Alexia coming. Now I was in a complete doubt, not only the speakers, but the whole "I trust my ears" concept. It was obvious that my ears completely deceived me, for years. My friend came back and took the S5. Since then Alexia arrived and even though they were better than Sasha, I could clearly hear a lot of problems, not unlike the Sasha, who make the joy of listening to music quite frustrating . My conclusion is the exact opposite of what mbovaird arrived. If ever there was a hi-fi speaker it will be Wilson. The S5 where anything but hi-fi to me. Some of my audiophile friends agree, and some do not. I would like to say one thing, most of those who disagree with my discovery are hard core audiophiles. You know, the ones who rather talk about audio then listen and when they do, they listen to excerpt from the same 20 discs all time. Nothing wrong with that, I'm guilty as charged, but I'm changing.

Wonderful first post cannata. Welcome to the forum.

Tom

cannata,

Welcome to WBF.

Interesting post, what are the rest of your system components?

Agreed on your English being quite good! Welcome. Speakers, which have so many variables (room, associated gear, adequate amplifier power, location & setup, etc.), are notoriously hard to describe in objective terms. Certainly, it is extremely difficult to judge how a certain speaker will sound in your own system! Another WBF member wrote that speaker reviews are among the least-trustworthy evaluations.

Of course, there is always that "personal preference" factor, too!

Lee

This thread is apropos as it reminds me of the conversation I had with AW at the Newport show a few years ago. AW had just introduced his S5. I asked him what his impressions of the S5 were in relation to the Q3's that I had heard in another Magico room.
Basically, AW's opinion was that the S5's were built to appeal to a slightly wider market. AW stated that the S5 was less accurate in the bass, BUT that it would appeal to a wider audience, as the bass would seem to drop lower than the Q3. AW also was of the opinion that the Q3 was likely to be used in more up-scale systems and with a more sophisticated type of listener. An interesting conversation and now even more so with the discussion that is ongoing in this thread.

I have a Spectral amp/pre and a DCS front end. All MIT cables. I have tried many other combinations as well.

Cannata,
I just had the pleasure of listening to a correctly set up pair of Alexias by Peter McGrath of Wilson. He said one of the best sounds he's heard from the Alexia was with the Spectral 260 amp, so you are probably good with the sound- just gotta get the Alexia set up right:cool:

Cannata,

Let me also say welcome to the forum and thank you for that great (first) post. It was very well written, interesting and easy to understand - your English is very good.

When I heard the S5's with Spectral I was blown away. It was in a large, very well treated (dealer) room and quite different from what I have at home, but I found it to be absent of the treble 'grunge', very linear, and revealed so much more layered detail than I had ever heard before. The S5 is certainly one of my favorite speakers and has contributed some amount of doubt in my longer term goal of Wilson XLF's.

Cannata,

Let me also say welcome to the forum and thank you for that great (first) post. It was very well written, interesting and easy to understand - your English is very good.

When I heard the S5's with Spectral I was blown away. It was in a large, very well treated (dealer) room and quite different from what I have at home, but I found it to be absent of the treble 'grunge', very linear, and revealed so much more layered detail than I had ever heard before. The S5 is certainly one of my favorite speakers and has contributed some amount of doubt in my longer term goal of Wilson XLF's.

You are on the right track :cool: eventually, we will get you over to Spectral as well, no worries :D I would agree with cannata, to a certain degree: If ever there was a hi-fi speaker it will be Wilson.

Cannata,

So I guess after I have made the switch to Spectral (and decided to keep it), I'll have to listen to a pair of S5's at some point as my next project? Alexia's did not make the cut. I got my upgrade roadmap mapped out for me....

By the way, they appear to retail for around $30K, but there is used pair on audiogon for $43K. What am i missing?

So I guess after I have made the switch to Spectral (and decided to keep it), I'll have to listen to a pair of S5's at some point as my next project? Alexia's did not make the cut. I got my upgrade roadmap mapped out for me....

By the way, they appear to retail for around $30K, but there is used pair on audiogon for $43K. What am i missing?
The speakers you are referring to are in Europe I believe, and that's probably what they sell for +/- When I ordered my S5s in September, it took 9 weeks from order to delivery. Still wish I'd had the guts to have ordered them in red or orange, but the wife was kind enough to let me put them in "her" room in bronze.

The speakers you are referring to are in Europe I believe, and that's probably what they sell for +/- When I ordered my S5s in September, it took 9 weeks from order to delivery. Still wish I'd had the guts to have ordered them in red or orange, but the wife was kind enough to let me put them in "her" room in bronze.

The price differentials are insane. I saw Spectral 400 monos listed new for roughly $60K in Europe..... I believe they are $28K in the USA.

No thanks. I have auditioned Rockports several times. They always send me running from the room. At RMAF, even with Absolare gear, I couldn't stand them.

I ended up buying both the Alexia's and S5's. The Alexia's sound like music, the S5's sound like HiFi and will likely be going when the Sasha 2's come out.

There aren't many speakers I absolutely hate, but Rockports would be one. Probably number one.

Looks like the guy is selling his Alexia as well…
http://audioshark.org/wilson-audio-86/alexia-mezzo-sale-5017.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing