Constellation upgrade question

DaveUK

Oct 1, 2022
Hi All - I just upgraded from Sasha DAW to Alexia V. Very pleased. However, I have been using a Constellation Inspiration 1.0 pre and stereo power with the DAW which I love. I am wondering if it would be worth an upgrade to the Constellation Taurus power with the Alexia V or is the Taurus too similar to the Inspiration to make a sonic difference. Unfortunately no dealer is able to offer me and A/B demo in UK so I'll need to take it on trust. I know Constellation as a brand doesn't get much love these days but, I for one, love their sound so plan to stay with the brand. Thanks for advice!

jbr7

May 19, 2020
Hi All - I just upgraded from Sasha DAW to Alexia V. Very pleased. However, I have been using a Constellation Inspiration 1.0 pre and stereo power with the DAW which I love. I am wondering if it would be worth an upgrade to the Constellation Taurus power with the Alexia V or is the Taurus too similar to the Inspiration to make a sonic difference. Unfortunately no dealer is able to offer me and A/B demo in UK so I'll need to take it on trust. I know Constellation as a brand doesn't get much love these days but, I for one, love their sound so plan to stay with the brand. Thanks for advice!
Hi DaveUK.
I have the Taurus stereo amp. I did have the Inspiration for several years and traded up to the Taurus. I liked the Inspiration, when I had it, but I love the Taurus! To me, it sounds better but I would be hard pressed to explain to you why, lol.

I don't have Wilson speakers. I have Von Schweikert Unifield 2 Signature, stand-mounted, bookshelf speakers. My dealer sells both Constellation and Wilson products. At one point you could, and probably still can, audition Wilson with Constellation. I never did because I wasn't going to change speakers. I don't want to go out on a limb and say you will definitely notice a difference, but I think you will be pleased with the upgrade if you do it.

To be honest, I have a fairly small listening space. I sit about 6 to 7 feet from my speakers, so that has to be taken into consideration. However, even though your speakers are much bigger than mine, I think their performance could be enhanced by moving up to the Taurus.

If you are ever in this country and visiting southern California, get in touch. You can come over for a listening session to help you make up your mind, lol.

Reactions: DaveUK

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Dave the Taurus is a different Animal altogether. The monos are in my opinion, and I've said it here on WBF many times, the one of if not the most underrated high power SS amplifiers around. To answer your question directly, I think they are closer to my Centaur 500 S than they are to the Inspiration. If they can handle Magico M3s with ease, grace and brutality when called for, I have no doubt they will do the same with your Alexia Vs. Prior to delivery I ran them on VSA Endeavor E3 Mk1s, ESEs and E5 Mk2s.

Reactions: DaveUK

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing