Nov 8, 2013
Somebody needs a music server. :)

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I like how the outrigged footers sort of disappear in this photo. I heard that Magico is dropping the anodized finish option for the S series. I recently saw a black anodized S5 and it was gorgeous. I guess it is too expensive and difficult to do.

After all this time, the rejection rate for the anodizing process is 30%. It's a real PITA.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Garth, for a sealed box dynamic speaker of this pedigree the asking price is not unreasonable, and I would go as far as to say that given the right room and system, they are a high end bargain.

The S3's having a smaller form factor & 2 x 8" drivers instead of 10's on the S5's which means they will be better suited to a small to small-medium room where they will be capable of pressurizing the room properly & getting some bass reinforcement from the room. Ie: The importance of good room coupling cannot be underestimated.

The S3's new midrange enclosure does indeed produce something special. The mids & highs are especially transparent and clarity is excellent. In a room that is too big for the S3's you will get a 'tipped up' sound as the balance tilts up as SPLs rise, and bass output fails to keep up. But in the right room, with careful attention to speaker positioning and matching of amps, front end, cables etc you should be rewarded with glorious sound.

The question of whether they are worth the money is purely subjective because music and our emotional response to music is subjective. However you can be assured the S3's are manufactured to the highest quality and level of QA, with tight speaker to speaker matching. There would never be any argument about that. Ultimately you'd have to ask yourself how long you're likely to keep them & how much enjoyment you could see yourself gaining from them.

On your last question, remember the S3's (Like the S5's) will open a clear pane window to the music and the strengths and weaknesses of your upstream gear will be laid bare, so in a sense they're only as good as your room and the rest of your rig. Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Bodhi.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Magico

I have only heard these speakers at shows and only a couple of times.

Few would not admit they are a great speaker.

They are expensive very expensive

They are well built .

They have tons of reviews and press.

But I have trouble keeping their model numbers straight they seem to change a lot.

Are they worth the money and do they retain their value.

No dealers or owners that I know of in my area.

Are they as good as all the hype

Garth, I don't know if you are asking about Magico in general, or the S3 in particular. I own the now discontinued Magico Mini 2. They are only a two way mini monitor, but over the last five years as my system has improved, they do not seem to hold the system back. Each improvement continues to be clearly heard through these very transparent speakers.

The room coupling is an important factor. I have a small room, but the bass energy that I get out of these small speakers is incredible. I think at retail prices, Magico is competitive relative to performance. If you can find a good pair used, they represent an incredible value, IMO. Just be careful with system matching because you will hear what the other components are doing, which is a good thing.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Magico

I have only heard these speakers at shows and only a couple of times.

Few would not admit they are a great speaker.

They are expensive very expensive

They are well built .

They have tons of reviews and press.

But I have trouble keeping their model numbers straight they seem to change a lot.

Are they worth the money and do they retain their value.

No dealers or owners that I know of in my area.

Are they as good as all the hype

If true High-Fidelity is what you are after I believe that, overall, Magico do build the finest speakers in the industry today. But first, you have to be honest with yourself as to what it is you are looking for. If it is “quick thrills” they may not be your ticket.

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Really you think no one else is as good as Magico . I was thinking if I want to upgrade and I mean if I want to up grade my CLXs I would look at Estalon from Estonia . I have heard Magicos a couple of times I think the Estalons are better or the Nolas both very good long term speakers .
Sounds like you've answered your own question, and need to decide bw Nolas or Estonias. :)

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Really you think no one else is as good as Magico . I was thinking if I want to upgrade and I mean if I want to up grade my CLXs I would look at Estalon from Estonia . I have heard Magicos a couple of times I think the Estalons are better or the Nolas both very good long term speakers .

Sorry, I thought you were asking a question, so I replied. If you are looking for debate, than feel free to offer any objective information to why these speakers you are talking about are better. If it is just an opinion without any objective reasoning, there is not much to debate here (I do suspect that this is all it is as both of these speakers you mentioned are technically, substantially, inferior to Magico). Buy whatever you feel is best, just keep in mind that without any real empirical data, it is just a feeling, here today, gone tomorrow;)
While you are doing your research, feel free to read Myles excellent review on the S5.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing