Magico Q7

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
So Christian do you agree with the post that the M project owners are going to feel pain with the Q7 tweeter being released?

I think the point he was trying to make is that the M project owners would feel they no longer have the best technology and feel pain as a result. Perhaps I misunderstood what he was trying to say.

I should reiterate, that I don't agree that M Project owners will necessarily feel any "pain" because of the Q7 MkII. The M is an amazing speaker, it looks incredible and it sounds fantastic. And it is considerably less expensive than the Q7, Mk I and MkII. They should be thrilled with owning such an achievement.

I don't drill down to the level of many here....if I had my choice of Magico....based on my speaker size and preference, the Q7 would be my choice. That does not mean I wouldn't be happy with the m project. I look at bigger vs smaller issue similar to car hp. The most is not necessarily the best...but the lower hp has to deliver on nuance. That said...statement speakers from said mfg usually deliver. Would you expect the $125k M Magico to sound better than the $225k Q7 ?

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Didn't they just release the "M" project with a new tweeter.

Now, within a very short time frame, it's new and improved?

I really don't get it.

So much for the shelf life of a Magico speaker.

I don't think there is a requirement for a speaker manufacturer to use the same tweeter in different models. Since the Q7 is $100k more than the M model, I would expect better parts, but that's just me. Personally, I can live happily with my S5s until I win the lotto. :)

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I don't think there is a requirement for a speaker manufacturer to use the same tweeter in different models. Since the Q7 is $100k more than the M model, I would expect better parts, but that's just me. Personally, I can live happily with my S5s until I win the lotto. :)

Just like the Alexia vs. the XLF. I know it's not exactly the same tweeter, but still more alike than not.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Seems like Alon and Magico will now get you half way. Must have been more than one complaint, especially from out of the USA.

I asked Mr Wolf once is there any way to upgrade tweeter in Q7 to be the new diamond one like M Project , he replied " no" because of the difference in size. I was disappointed.
But now he manages to do that, I'm glad. But the cost and procedure seems totally prohibitive to me.
a 20,000$ with a kit/tools that can be done locally by trained dealer then I'm in !

I won't put words into his mouth, only my own. 20k for a tweeter. bend over boys :D

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Would you expect the $125k M Magico to sound better than the $225k Q7 ?

No, I would not. But that does not mean that I would rather have the Q7 II. As I have written before, I had no interest in trading in my Mini 2 for the Q1, though by ALL accounts, the latter is a better sounding speaker.

I was more focused on the assertion on a previous post that M Project owners would "feel pain" with the introduction of the Q7 MkII. I don't think they will, but I guess one would have to ask them. I will never be in a position to know for myself.

Over on AudioShark, I just saw a video of the Porsche GT4. Smaller, less expensive than the GT3. I don't know which performs better in an absolute sense, but there are reasons one would prefer one over the other, and if one owned one of them, I don't think he would "feel pain" because the other is suddenly available.

The Q7 II and the M Project, I think in an analogous way, are aimed at different buyers. And we should not overlook the fact that the M Project is a limited release, special project, no longer really available.

number95

May 14, 2014
No, I would not. But that does not mean that I would rather have the Q7 II. As I have written before, I had no interest in trading in my Mini 2 for the Q1, though by ALL accounts, the latter is a better sounding speaker.

I was more focused on the assertion on a previous post that M Project owners would "feel pain" with the introduction of the Q7 MkII. I don't think they will, but I guess one would have to ask them. I will never be in a position to know for myself.
QUOTE]

I do not understand that weird argument of feeling pain due to Q7 mkII ! I do not think any M Project owner assumed at the time of his order a limited production speaker -while 55k cheaper- were overall better than current flagship Q7s and/or there will never be upgrades/newer models over the horizon. At least if I need to speak for myself, while ordering Ms, never thought that way. I assumed the overall performance of new Ms should be closer to Q7 (and in some few areas even challenging/surpassing) rather than being a bit better than Q5 which is the oldest Q. I think there is a reason why Magico renewing Q7 right after M being available for listening rather than renewing its oldest Q model Q5.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Do you have your M-Project yet, number95?

number95

May 14, 2014
Do you have your M-Project yet, number95?

Not yet Madfloyd. Hope to get them delivered within 2 weeks. I see you also own a pair. How are things after Ms ? :D

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Not yet Madfloyd. Hope to get them delivered within 2 weeks. I see you also own a pair. How are things after Ms ? :D

I'm trying to remember which speakers you had before - was it B&W, or did you already have Magicos?

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
Didn't they just release the "M" project with a new tweeter.

Now, within a very short time frame, it's new and improved?

I really don't get it.

So much for the shelf life of a Magico speaker.
you may want to read again the press release. It is not an improved version, it is just as good as on the Mproject. They just improved the efficiency as the Q7 overall has the higher efficiency. They need to match drivers...

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
Excuse me. How do you know it's not an upgrade?

Does more efficient mean improved? I think so but I'm speculating, as are you.

Please chill out and stop being so myopic.
I heard both q7mk2 and Mproject. I talked with Alon about the design of the Q7mk2. He confirmed it is the same driver, with same membrane, but with different efficiency.

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
Also another thing !
Stereo i would begin to take you serious, if i finally saw a Ultimate mk 3 in your listening room:D
My Ultimate have been ready to ship Since December. My custom designed electronics are late. Keep in mind I decided not to go for the standard set up, as I am using an active system with a custom made server / 6 ways digital crossover + 6 Pacific Microsonics Model 2 synched with a custom made clock. We are still playing with different filters on the crossover and with different amps solution (some of them custom, not so easy to find a really silent amp when you have 120dB speaker sensitivity). Designing from scratch a server, a clock, a XO, amps... takes time.
I don't want to ship the speakers to Taiwan before I have tested the full system on the West Coast - it is much easier as the whole design is made there. I am not in a hurry.

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
Wow, M + q18, that looks very interesting. I look to get my M projects in 2-3 weeks, let us keep in touch.
I think it will be a great combo. HK dealer of Magico has the Q7 Mk1 with Qsub18. Quite shocking to see how much extra "room" the Qsub18 could add to the music. They were crossing over very low, something like 30Hz if I remember well.

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
I have heard both but not on same day. Overall, my impressions are:
- tweeter: Mpro and Q7mk2 are at the same level. Both better than Q7mk1, not by a small margin
- medium: slight advantage for the Q7mk2 (see reason below, different construction of cabinet and different XO may also play a role?)
- bass: I much prefer the Q7mk2. Bass has less overhang. It stops faster, with the additional benefit you avoid smearing the low medium. But some people may prefer the Mproject (in particular people coming from ported speakers). The Mproject feels like having more bass, the Q7 feels like having tighter crisper bass. Q7mk2 bass is the same as on Mk1: it is for me the perfect bass when accompanied by a Qsub18.

number95

May 14, 2014

number95

May 14, 2014
I have heard both but not on same day. Overall, my impressions are:
- tweeter: Mpro and Q7mk2 are at the same level. Both better than Q7mk1, not by a small margin
- medium: slight advantage for the Q7mk2 (see reason below, different construction of cabinet and different XO may also play a role?)
- bass: I much prefer the Q7mk2. Bass has less overhang. It stops faster, with the additional benefit you avoid smearing the low medium. But some people may prefer the Mproject (in particular people coming from ported speakers). The Mproject feels like having more bass, the Q7 feels like having tighter crisper bass. Q7mk2 bass is the same as on Mk1: it is for me the perfect bass when accompanied by a Qsub18.

Stereo,

From what you have described, felt like M having a good value (assuming it is almost 100k cheaper) compared to QmkII. For sure Q7mkII is the better speaker but it seems M is not so far behind it and one can also think of adding Qsub18 to Ms as well.

Motions

Jul 8, 2014
Stereo,

From what you have described, felt like M having a good value (assuming it is almost 100k cheaper) compared to QmkII. For sure Q7mkII is the better speaker but it seems M is not so far behind it and one can also think of adding Qsub18 to Ms as well.

A big player in the hiend industries who has a pair of Q7 and who has the same electronic setup as mine and attended the demo of the Mproject using the same set of electronic as us,has this to say about the Mproject..I quote him "The mid and treble of Mproject out perform the Q7 mk1 by a big margin "
That is the Q7 Mk1 But the Q7 Mk2 is still the flagship model.
As the Mproject is a limited 50 pairs edition speaker to celebrate Magico 10th Anniversary.
I do not know how good is the Mproject as it will only be delivered to my home this week.My listening notes
will only compare it with Q5,which i am currently having.
Until my Mproject and Qsub 18 are in placed i can only assume,this is as good a match.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing