Magico Q7 + Constellation Performance series

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Sometimes I wonder if the "thinness" mentioned about Magico isn't a lack of the recorded bass but rather that most are used to some degree of added bass resonance from the cabinets making the Magicos seem too dry down below. While those teeters are picky and there is the matter of possible diffraction from the wide baffles, I have heard the tweeters sound articulate and smooth. Problem is, there aren't many very high powered amps that can provide this type of highs with the current required for the bass modules. Especially since the highs and mids are very high in resolution. That only the Q7 can be bi-amped adds to the problem. The moral of the story I guess is that if you want Magicos you have to be prepared to find gear that matches lest you end up with unused potential. It seems Magicos are either a let down or great with little in between.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Sometimes I wonder if the "thinness" mentioned about Magico isn't a lack of the recorded bass but rather that most are used to some degree of added bass resonance from the cabinets making the Magicos seem too dry down below. While those teeters are picky and there is the matter of possible diffraction from the wide baffles, I have heard the tweeters sound articulate and smooth. Problem is, there aren't many very high powered amps that can provide this type of highs with the current required for the bass modules. Especially since the highs and mids are very high in resolution. That only the Q7 can be bi-amped adds to the problem. The moral of the story I guess is that if you want Magicos you have to be prepared to find gear that matches lest you end up with unused potential. It seems Magicos are either a let down or great with little in between.

I think the moral of the story is if you don't enjoy the sound don't buy the speaker. Trust your ears.

Can you make a speaker sound more to your liking with different gear? Sure, but how much time and money will it take?

caesar

May 30, 2010
I agree

I have on several occasions asked Alon personally to join and post here. There are several speaker manufacturers here which IMO has helped raise member awareness

Steve, no one is hating is Magico per se. Magico is not to everyone's taste or philosophy of what the hobby should be about: Not everyone is interested in hearing and dwelling on every single detail of the recording. Not everyone is interested in a “Deeper Understanding” of their music collection that Magico excels in. Some of us just want to get carried away by the music, instead.

But if people find that listening to every detail on their recording is exciting, it's their business and their time of their precious life. There are as many sonic signatures to audio gear as there are religions in the world. Some prefer the “fire and brimstone”, some want an intellectual understanding, while others yearn for something else along the spectrum. But it seems that it is primarily the reviewers, rather than the music lovers, who want to elevate the Magico religion above others.

Look at some verbiage from Alan Sircom's latest Q1 review in his British Hifi magazine: “Alon Wolf made no compromises in Q1 design…” Reading something like this makes one wonder if Alan Sitcom is an idiot or he thinks we are all idiots. Sitcom either is a pathetic panderer or a moron if he doesn’t understand that the No One Perfect Design – just as hot water that softens a carrot also hardens an egg. He doesn’t ask the questions like who will the design work for? Do design goals meet listeners’ goals? How do real people - not reviewers (who are like plastic surgeons instead of regular guys at a gentleman’s club)- actually use it? … Valin has destroyed his reputation and that of the the Absolute Sound, and now Sircom is pretty far along the same road…Other media elites just paraphrase Valin and write his Magico cliff notes to sell their magazines and bring hits to their sites.

So, the fabric that's woven into our everyday listening experience is different than that of a media elite or those behind of the "exact recording" crowd such Wolf, a DCS, a Bryston, or a Mark Levinson, etc. We, as music lovers, want our timeless human needs satisfied. We want music to penetrate the depths of our souls. We want humanity and warmth, passion and overall performance. The "exact recording" crowd, however, is interested in technical precision of hearing a slightly different sound from the same Norah jones or eagles hell freezes over recording they have already heard 10,000 times.

Like I said, NOTHING wrong with that. But they are the ones who are pushing their religion on the rest of us by calling Magico the “best” instead of just a different design that meets their needs.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
I would love to a hear a Zanden 4-box digital fronting that system.

So would i, i have a friend with a 150k system owned a Zanden d/a converter with CEC TL-0X he replaced it by the Jadis JS-1MK3 because it was to smooth for his taste not bad for digital.

Elrocco 01.jpg

Elrocco 02.jpg l

Elrocco 03.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Mr. Acoustat,

Very cool! Thanks for that!

phillipK

Oct 23, 2010
Steve, no one is hating is Magico per se. Magico is not to everyone's taste or philosophy of what the hobby should be about: Not everyone is interested in hearing and dwelling on every single detail of the recording. Not everyone is interested in a “Deeper Understanding” of their music collection that Magico excels in. Some of us just want to get carried away by the music, instead.

But if people find that listening to every detail on their recording is exciting, it's their business and their time of their precious life. There are as many sonic signatures to audio gear as there are religions in the world. Some prefer the “fire and brimstone”, some want an intellectual understanding, while others yearn for something else along the spectrum. But it seems that it is primarily the reviewers, rather than the music lovers, who want to elevate the Magico religion above others.

Look at some verbiage from Alan Sircom's latest Q1 review in his British Hifi magazine: “Alon Wolf made no compromises in Q1 design…” Reading something like this makes one wonder if Alan Sitcom is an idiot or he thinks we are all idiots. Sitcom either is a pathetic panderer or a moron if he doesn’t understand that the No One Perfect Design – just as hot water that softens a carrot also hardens an egg. He doesn’t ask the questions like who will the design work for? Do design goals meet listeners’ goals? How do real people - not reviewers (who are like plastic surgeons instead of regular guys at a gentleman’s club)- actually use it? … Valin has destroyed his reputation and that of the the Absolute Sound, and now Sircom is pretty far along the same road…Other media elites just paraphrase Valin and write his Magico cliff notes to sell their magazines and bring hits to their sites.

So, the fabric that's woven into our everyday listening experience is different than that of a media elite or those behind of the "exact recording" crowd such Wolf, a DCS, a Bryston, or a Mark Levinson, etc. We, as music lovers, want our timeless human needs satisfied. We want music to penetrate the depths of our souls. We want humanity and warmth, passion and overall performance. The "exact recording" crowd, however, is interested in technical precision of hearing a slightly different sound from the same Norah jones or eagles hell freezes over recording they have already heard 10,000 times.

Like I said, NOTHING wrong with that. But they are the ones who are pushing their religion on the rest of us by calling Magico the “best” instead of just a different design that meets their needs.

Ceasar - I have never understood your posts. How is "less fidelity" good for "everyday listening experience"? Or why would “Deeper Understanding” stand between you and "getting carried away by the music". How would you get more of "humanity and warmth, passion and overall performance", if you are hearing less of it? You do realize that your brain is the one who determine how you feel, right?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Heard S5s with Constellation Audio at THE Show and not bright at all--in fact the CA gear is warm SS. My SET friend with me totally agreed.

V3s with Bryston 28SST2s isn't etched or detail oriented either.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Scott Walker Audio is hosting a Q7 event in Orange County this Sunday from 12-5. They run Soulution and BAT gear apparently.

I might go to find out if the hype is real.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I agree with you here , S5 and V 3 are very pleasant sounding , V 3 still being my favorite as i find the soft dome more listenable in the long run.
In the measurements of the Q5 , one can see a slight rising of the treble from the mid up of a bout 5 db at 10 KHZ in the first diagram ,further on the red in room response also has elevated mid/highs and that could be it in my opinion.
I did hear only the Q3 however and i found it to have slightly pronounced highs and no real foundation which i would expect at that pricepoint
http://www.stereophile.com/content/magico-q5-loudspeaker-measurements
Heard S5s with Constellation Audio at THE Show and not bright at all--in fact the CA gear is warm SS. My SET friend with me totally agreed.

V3s with Bryston 28SST2s isn't etched or detail oriented either.

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
yes Andromeda- if the M5s weren't so tough to drive, I would have bought them in a heartbeat over their newer brethren.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I went ahead and hit up the Q7 demo today. The room Scott Walker has designed is in the golden ratio with 10' ceilings with a few treatments (and a ton of Synergistic bowls and cups).

I thought the resolution was unparalleled. Midrange was very, very transparent. Things just popped out of thin air. I rapped the cabinet and heard a bit less thud on the top box as well, but that clearly must be by design as the rest of the cabinet looked and felt gorgeous. Bass was tremendous- it wasn't boomy nor drawing attention to itself. Just a lot of power down there. Highs were a tad bright I must admit, although I prefer tubes and think a tube preamp would be perfect with them. I did notice that at low volumes the sound was thinner/brighter. I think the Q7s probably need more power than the specs indicate. I also would like to hear a bit more meat on the bone with vocals/more 3D. Again- my preference.

Speaking of, the setup was a pair of Korean Sonicraft SS monos w/ Esoteric preamp. The dealer's Soulution monos were on loan with a customer.

In general, I left feeling 170k speakers aren't really necessary and that the incremental utility over speakers 1/3 the cost was not that great. And I'd probably just spring for a used pair of M5s at 30-35k instead and be perfectly happy if I had a big amp to go with them.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
So would i, i have a friend with a 150k system owned a Zanden d/a converter with CEC TL-0X he replaced it by the Jadis JS-1MK3 because it was to smooth for his taste not bad for digital.

View attachment 5691

BTW, Mr. A, your friend's decision is consistent with what i have heard...which is that CEC transport and Zanden DAC are in fact 'too smooth' a combination...too smooth without sufficient detail. Both individual components are great, but apparently do not work so well together. I have heard great things about Jadis. Did you ever hear the Zanden when it was in his system?

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
BTW, Mr. A, your friend's decision is consistent with what i have heard...which is that CEC transport and Zanden DAC are in fact 'too smooth' a combination...too smooth without sufficient detail. Both individual components are great, but apparently do not work so well together. I have heard great things about Jadis. Did you ever hear the Zanden when it was in his system?

No i did not, i heard the system with all the changes made, he had changed the preamp Conrad Johnson Art to a Lamm LL2.1 - the Verity Audio Persifal speakers to Eaglestonworks Andra3 - and all of his Stealth cables for Purist Audio Design- and even if i'm not a boxed speakers kind of guy when it sounds good it sounds good and this is one good sounding highend system.

phillipK

Oct 23, 2010
Speaking of, the setup was a pair of Korean Sonicraft SS monos w/ Esoteric preamp. The dealer's Soulution monos were on loan with a customer.

Man, that is harsh… Why would you want to pair these speakers with such, less than stellar-to say the least, electronics :eek:

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
This sounds more and more like a job for ..... (Fanfare) ... DRC Digital Room Correction. Changing the Tweeter about a few dB is better than nothing but still not a solution .. So DRC but we, audiophiles, have not welcomed the notion ...

Well, thats exactly what Magico does - with the Ultimate.

Thanks,
Roysen

caesar

May 30, 2010
Ceasar - I have never understood your posts. How is "less fidelity" good for "everyday listening experience"? Or why would “Deeper Understanding” stand between you and "getting carried away by the music". How would you get more of "humanity and warmth, passion and overall performance", if you are hearing less of it? You do realize that your brain is the one who determine how you feel, right?

Philip,
I think the disconnect we are having has to do with different subjective experiences we have had and goals we have about the hobby. For many music lovers, Magico only touches the intellect , that Deeper Understanding Wolf is so proud of, instead of engaging our whole selves in the state of flow of the musical experience.

Quoting a famous statistician, George Box: “essentially all models are wrong, but some are useful”. I think a lot of people in this hobby see audio only in terms of its scientific merits. The purpose of audio gear for them is to reveal all that's possible in resolution, tonality, dynamics, sound-staging, and other favorite audiophile vocabulary terms. On this very forum, there are some members who agonize over gear measurements more than monks living in a monastery meditating about their salvation. Just like the monks, these suffering WBF members have not found their audio salvation. But agonizing over measurements is just one way to look at the hobby. Listening to real music and comparing audio gear to what real music sounds like is, in my humble opinion a much better way. And like I said many times before, Magico can have exemplary measurements and exceed all benchmarks for audio terms, but it does not sound like real music unless one uses the most pristine recording. The problem is that most of those pristine recordings suck musically. Here’s a quote from Valin, before he took his job as a Magico sales rep, who describes this quite well:

Here are a couple of quotes from Valin reviewing MBL speakers, before he took the job as the Magico rep:
Reviewing the 101’s:

..."What made and makes the 101 Es such showstoppers is their uncanny ability to get the first step in enjoying music right. Before it does anything else (and it does many things else), music works on us physically. It excites us. Gets us moving. Starts our toes tapping and our butts wiggling and our arms and fingers waving like air-guitar players (or air conductors). When a performer or a hi-fi really allows us “into” the music and the music “into” us, we are always and only a half-step away from dancing and singing and sheer self-abandon. It’s one of the chief reasons why we listen..."

reviewing the Xtremes:

“...Sheer sonic excitement may not mean much to those joyless souls who want to hear a second-rate jazz vocalist or a third-rate performance of a Mahler symphony sound precisely as good or as bad as it did in the engineering booth on the day of a recording session; as for me, I still thrill to the thrill of getting goose bumps on my arms or feeling a chill run up my back when a stereo—a mere contraption playing back another mere contraption—captures the excitement of the real thing....”

Coming back to answer your question, though, to me, the most influential people are those who can see a problem from several, sometimes from conflicting perspectives. Because audiophiles focus on measurement precision, a perspective that is frequently missed discussing audio is psychology in general, and specifically, subjectivity. Let me throw a Shakespeare quote at you, from Act 5, Scene 2 of As You Like It, to help illustrate what I am talking about:
“But Oh, how bitter a thing it is to look into happiness through another man’s eyes. “ Now just substitute the word happiness for a musical experience…

Before I freak you out, let me give a more concrete example on how this relates to subjectivity and audiophilia. One of the shows I found on our home DVR is a reality show called Abby and Brittany. My wife watches it sometimes. It is about conjoined twins. One of the most interesting things about the twins is that despite sharing many of the same organs, they are two distinct persons. They are happy optimistic people. But to most of us, we would think of their life experience as wretched and depressing. Would we wish something like this on anyone except our worst enemy? Hell No! So who is right? Maybe they think they are happy because they have had a really limited set of experiences and don’t really know what happiness really is. But no one knows what Abby and Brittany feel. Maybe we are the impoverished ones because we have never had the support of a loving sibling who will stand by us no matter what….This kind of reminds me of that LOUSY SCHMOCK who tells you that tweaks or cables don’t make a difference in your system because he didn’t hear it in his system or he is just too smart to give it a try, but I digress…

I guess I am full of quotes today, so here’s one from Winston Churchill: “First we shape our buildings, then they shape us.” Well we shape our musical experiences and then they shape our references. So coming back to music experiences, I am fortunate to live 15 minutes away from world class musical venues, so I attend great shows a couple of times as week. Or better yet, my friend is a drummer who has played with some of the most talented people in the world. Both of us know what a jazz or blues band really sounds like. And I hate to burst the bubble of not only Magico fans, but most audiophiles, that their systems don’t sound like the real thing. BUT , BUT, BUT , some systems do much better than others at mimicking a real show. For example, designers of MBL Omni speakers and electrostats such as Quad and Soundlab have made much better compromises than Alon Wolf in trying to make their gear sound like the real thing. Quads and Soundlabs pretty much get the small scale stuff to sound like real music. MBLs get the bigger scale stuff and rock to sound like you are at a concert.

But if you are an audiophile who has not left your house to see a live show since 1976, and you have been listening to a handful of old recordings using low powered tube amplification on an old turntable, your reference is much different than mine or that of my drummer friend. Or if you are a reviewer who loves Magico or dCS, you have been conditioned to love the sound as defined by those dreaded audiophile words – transparency, soundstage, etc. However, to those of us who are so used to that live sound that it has become our reference, Alon Wolf’s obsession with getting measurements and audiophile vocabulary just doesn’t cut it to put us, music lovers, in a state of flow.

It’s kind of like going on a great date and having ice cream. You may score that experience an 8. Well on the next date, you have ice cream and then come home and have sex. I can assure you that if on the following date you only had ice cream, you probably wouldn’t score it an 8…. This again reminds me of that LOUSY SCHMOCK, who doesn’t know what he is missing, tells you that the magic fluid you sprayed on your cd’s or cables don’t make a difference in your system because he didn’t hear it in his or he is just too smart to give it a try, but I digress again…

So from a point of view of a music lover who has developed a strong reference to judge audio gear on the basis of live music, Magicos don’t cut it; the above mentioned brands do much better. Again, it is a perspective of a people whose prior experiences serve as a context, a lens, a backdrop, a background for the evaluation of all other audiophile experiences. My observations happen to match those many of the WBF members who are music lovers, many industry insiders, and reviewers who have NOT reviewed Magicos.

I do want to stress that there is nothing wrong with enjoying Magicos. I’ve said this many times, it is the pathetically pandering media elites, not the Magico fans, which I have a problem with. We are all just having different experiences, and we have different subjective calibrations of these experiences.

Good listening to you.

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
Philip,

So from a point of view of a music lover who has developed a strong reference to judge audio gear on the basis of live music, Magicos don’t cut it; the above mentioned brands do much better. Again, it is a perspective of a people whose prior experiences serve as a context, a lens, a backdrop, a background for the evaluation of all other audiophile experiences. My observations happen to match those many of the WBF members who are music lovers, many industry insiders, and reviewers who have NOT reviewed Magicos.

I do want to stress that there is nothing wrong with enjoying Magicos. I’ve said this many times, it is the pathetically pandering media elites, not the Magico fans, which I have a problem with. We are all just having different experiences, and we have different subjective calibrations of these experiences.

Good listening to you.
From my humble point of view of a music lover who goes to more than 50 concerts a year and as an amateur musician, Magico is for me the speaker brand which approaches the most the sound of live music... In particular, compared to the Q7, all other speakers I have listened to (big Tidal, big MBL, XLF, the sonus faber, the MM3...) have their own sonic character... which I grow tired of over time . The Q7 is the perfect speaker for me because it is invisible, it doesn't have a sound in itself, it just delivers a flat frequency response, with transient speed out of this world and with exceptional quality of timbre.

A lot of people hear it at shows driven by Spectral, and complain that it is too cold, with a too prominent tweeter: I agree, but what you hear is the Spectral sound, and I wouldn't match them with Spectral in my own system. I had the chance to listen to a pair of Q7 on the same day in a good room driven by very different electronics: they are so transparent that they completely disappear, you hear very easily the contribution of the source used and amp, whereas most other speakers add their own sonic character on the top, like a veil masking upstream components. With the right amp, they are pure magic: transparency of an electrostat with the weight of the best dynamic speaker.

This is why it is extremely important to listen to them with the electronic which fits your taste. Personally, I find DCS too dry as a source, and as an amp I would rather match them with the big Dartzeel: sound would be as transparent, but with an amazing quality of note decay, and zero aggressiveness. If you are in London, you can listen there to the Q7 with the Dartzeel.

Jeff Fritz wrote it much better than me:
"In my room, for the first time in my audiophile life, I was unable to get a handle on where the stops were. What I mean is that the more I pushed the Q7s, in every direction, the more they kept exceeding all my prior experiences. This is not just in terms of frequency extension, loudness capability, resolving power, speed and dynamic impact -- though those were areas in which the Q7 was the best I've heard. The amazing part was that the speaker was so chameleon-like that I really could not nail down its character. It was that complete lack of sonic character that led me to make the statement about it being the first "unlimited performance" loudspeaker".

So if you don't like what you heard, question the source, the cables, the amp... because it is the only speaker as transparent to let you hear all of upstream contributions so easily.
Last, it surprises me always how many people on this forum cannot stand that numerous reviewer fall in love with Magico. I suggest you stop imagining secret plots in which reviewers "sold themselves to Magico" and go to listen for yourself, paired with electronics you like: you would realize that there is a reason behind the buzz.

And yes, if what you want is a speaker which always sound nice, even with a crappy recording, sorry, the Magico sound is not for you. Sonus Faber is occupying this market segment very well. It is question of personal taste, but I prefer to have to throw away 1/3 of my CDs and have an unique experience on the remaining ones.

PS: I don't own yet a pair of Magico, but have one on order.

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Everybody has there own expiriences , its more a preference thing i reckon there is no good or wrong.
Do you know the name of the store by the way , and what kind of dartzeel equipment are they using on the Q 7 , i was planning to pop over to london maybe for a weekend any way.
havent heard the dartstuff yet and the Q 7 , i personally think magico has made a strong point with the mid and the material they are using , exellent sounding in my opinion.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Oeps no need to go to londen anymore , found out there is a Q 7 zanden show on the 13 of okt in Hilversum , the media capital of holland ,its like the hollywood of the netherlands :D
I am quite happy its zanden doing the driving!!
Lets see if this one can plunge the depth

http://www.rhapsody.nl/category/agenda/

PS missed the aida show :(

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Andromeda - definitely let us know how it sounds! I think Zanden/Q7 could be very serious magic.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing