Magico Q7 + Constellation Performance series

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Ack, the dealers said the Q7s sounded even thinner with Spectral? What I'd like to know is how the 3s and 5s would sound with the Constellation gear vis-a-vis the Spectrals.

These two brands have some common DNA after all.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Gary, I agree. I think that one of the most common failings in the entire field, is that tweeters are simply too bright on many speakers. But here's what irks me. You are paying 150K+ for a speaker. Everyone in audio knows the sound of a speaker is room dependent. Most folks don't have perfect rooms. Yet the arrogance of a company like Magico is that they think the listener must be too stupid to set a tweeter control level themselves because they simply don't offer one. Now they will tell you (I know, I've asked) that the reason they don't do this is because it will compromise the sound, but we know this too is BS. The signal must go through a resistor in series with the tweeter internally. Would it be that onerous to give the user a choice via a simple switch of two or three resistor values? Oh, they will then say the switch itself would be the source of unacceptable degradation. And that's when you realize they must be smoking something, shrug your shoulders in disbelief, and look elsewhere at other manufacturers. Magneplanras, Focals, Wilsons- they ALL have the ability to be fine-tuned to the listener's room. It not only makes sense, but for 6 figure speakers, it should be mandatory. You gotta wonder how Magico's "our way or the highway" view could possibly result in a successful company. Oh well. It is what it is.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Gary, I agree. I think that one of the most common failings in the entire field, is that tweeters are simply too bright on many speakers. But here's what irks me. You are paying 150K+ for a speaker. Everyone in audio knows the sound of a speaker is room dependent. Most folks don't have perfect rooms. Yet the arrogance of a company like Magico is that they think the listener must be too stupid to set a tweeter control level themselves because they simply don't offer one. Now they will tell you (I know, I've asked) that the reason they don't do this is because it will compromise the sound, but we know this too is BS. The signal must go through a resistor in series with the tweeter internally. Would it be that onerous to give the user a choice via a simple switch of two or three resistor values? Oh, they will then say the switch itself would be the source of unacceptable degradation. And that's when you realize they must be smoking something, shrug your shoulders in disbelief, and look elsewhere at other manufacturers. Magneplanras, Focals, Wilsons- they ALL have the ability to be fine-tuned to the listener's room. It not only makes sense, but for 6 figure speakers, it should be mandatory. You gotta wonder how Magico's "our way or the highway" view could possibly result in a successful company. Oh well. It is what it is.

Or as they say "pass the Kool Aid" ;)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

100% Agree on Tweeter adjustments. I told the dealer not to bother bringing the X1s to my house when they arrived in the store and iheard them...the treble nearly sawed my ears off...it actually hurt. They brought them over at their risk...and found the treble had been boosted for a 40' deep room...by 3db. They put in a diff resister...nearly there...they soldered in a resister in between the other 2...perfect. Such a world of difference, and i really learned something that day. The guy who set mine up is considered by Wilson to be one of the top handful of guys, i believe.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Not sure why Magico elected to forego the dual ring M5 tweeter in favor of the beryllium tweeter. I haven't heard the Q7 but have heard the Q5 and agree that the tweeter can be on the hot side. They certainly must have compared the two so also must assume they know what they're doing? One thing for certain, they're selling a lot of speakers.

Steve Williams

Not sure why Magico elected to forego the dual ring M5 tweeter in favor of the beryllium tweeter. I haven't heard the Q7 but have heard the Q5 and agree that the tweeter can be on the hot side. They certainly must have compared the two so also must assume they know what they're doing? One thing for certain, they're selling a lot of speakers.

Or as they say, "pass the Kool Aid" ;)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Being able to adjust my tweeters and super tweeters on the fly is a godsend. I don't think I'll ever go back to speakers that don't have the feature. Since I listen both solo and entertain I'm not about to go through an entirely different set up procedure just for "party time". I could do it but, oy, what a hassle!

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I logged in to express my amazement that a speaker at this price range would not offer adjustable crossover, and here we are with all of you having beaten to me to it :( So I just want to add that the top Wilson gets this right: treble, phase, et al. It took me months to tune my crossover to my liking - and in fact, I have posted the virtually flat frequency response at the listening position, from the upper bass on up; and let's not forget my custom bass attenuation box - and I find it just stunning that very few manufacturers would offer this kind of flexibility in the name of "compromised" sound, when in fact, they all understand system matching, and in anything other than ideal set-up their speakers stand to exhibit some sort of interaction problems (with the room and/or electronics). This is really ridiculous (and I say this with Kool Aid in hand!)

Frankly, the reason I have not bought the Q3 yet is because when I inquired about accessing the crossover I was given a cold shoulder.

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA

Marty, good post. I think that when it comes to Magico, Alon is very well aware that in high-end audio, like high-end anything else, people pay for a) exclusivity, b) a perception that what they are getting is superior and c) brand name recognition.
The asking price of Alon's products allow for a and b and all the press he generates by a and b allows for c. So, as Steve eloquently states, at the end of the day "pass the Kool Aid".
Not saying Magico's aren't very good speakers, BUT if we look at value for money...PLEASE:eek:. ( ok, re-enforced flame suit on:p)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
At this level of performance...my instincts say customizeability is more important than the last ounce of cabinetry refinement, the latest tweeter or woofer. There are some 'big' areas...active subs built-in which can be adjusted, etc...which i would personally be prepared to pay more for. I admit...i do like Wilsons for that, and have been astounded by listening to the four hours of refinement that took place in my room after the initial setup...

An extreme example...compare a sub with minimal or no adjustability...to a similar one...maybe even slightly less wel built...that has all the adjustability in the world.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Have heard the Min and the Q3. The Q3 is a real contender in my book... And before we go into this.. I have had an experience with an extremely expensive speakers coming from an extremely well regarded high end manufacturer, with the tweeter improperly wired ... I don't know how good (or bad) the Q7 is, haven't yet heard it. I would think that if it were a Wilson or other favorite speakers that were auditioned under similar circumstances, the remarks would have been less acidic...

WBF is not Magico-friendly ..Oh Well! That doesn't seem to stop them and it is a good thing, it is making other manufacturer wake-up ... notice and produce better products ...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Controls are still anathema for a big chunk of the market I guess. I've always exploited this with my speakers from using the resistors supplied by Magnepan to the controls on my Revels to what I use now. I got a lot of raised eyebrows from folks when I got my speakers in 2008. Now you see it in (in different forms) in the range toppers of Sonus Faber, Focal and others. I don't get as many raised eyebrows anymore. I even get the occassional, "I wish...." comments. Times must be changing.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Controls are still anathema for a big chunk of the market I guess. I've always exploited this with my speakers from using the resistors supplied by Magnepan to the controls on my Revels to what I use now. I got a lot of raised eyebrows from folks when I got my speakers in 2008. Now you see it in (in different forms) in the range toppers of Sonus Faber, Focal and others. I don't get as many raised eyebrows anymore. I even get the occassional, "I wish...." comments. Times must be changing.

Definitely. At least for me...that was a real 'ear opener'. Of course, if you DIY the thing...you could really f-k it up. But if a pro does it...like Wilson does for every installation...or re-installation when you move...then it is brilliant imho.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Have heard the Min and the Q3. The Q3 is a real contender in my book... And before we go into this.. I have had an experience with an extremely expensive speakers coming from an extremely well regarded high end manufacturer, with the tweeter improperly wired ... I don't know how good (or bad) the Q7 is, haven't yet heard it. I would think that if it were a Wilson or other favorite speakers that were auditioned under similar circumstances, the remarks would have been less acidic...

WBF is not Magico-friendly ..Oh Well! That doesn't seem to stop them and it is a good thing, it is making other manufacturer wake-up ... notice and produce better products ...

speaking for myself...i am not anti-Magico at all. I think they have done some truly impressive things in terms of alacrity, speed from a cone. And in terms of being a 'pass-thru' speaker just taking the signal with minimal editing...i really think they have done exactly what they advertise. The question is once it comes thru...and into your room...at that price point, do you want/need the ability to adjust the speaker for in-room response? For me, i think so.

Steve Williams

Definitely. At least for me...that was a real 'ear opener'. Of course, if you DIY the thing...you could really f-k it up. But if a pro does it...like Wilson does for every installation...or re-installation when you move...then it is brilliant imho.

But Lloyd you really don't have a tweeter switch if I read your post correctly. They changed the resistor and hence the sound of the tweeter overall

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I am not that good informed , but i think the wilson X series and duette are the only wilsons to offer tweeter (mid?) adjustability ??
As far as subs are concerned , i would not change a well driven (high quality)tube bass section for a active sub ( SS) , the tube one gives more room fill /bassdefinition .
I ve also designed resistorless crossovers and i cannot say resistors really degrade sound , not even cheap ones , capacitators yes !!

Oeps, i just read wilson has a new model .

Ps if the magico Q 7 comes to the netherlands , please connect it to a high quality tube amp, thank you ,for whoever is reading this

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
But Lloyd you really don't have a tweeter switch if I read your post correctly. They changed the resistor and hence the sound of the tweeter overall

Correct...but i would rather have at least this option...and then they can switch it again when i move...then not having any ability to change it whatsoever.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I'm going to throw gasoline on the fire here and say that if more manufacturers had speakers that used adjustable crossovers, especially adjustable active crossovers with multi-amplification, we wouldn't be having this conversation because everything would be user adjustable to the listening room and (god help us :D) our personal preference. :cool: :D

Don't be shy, I'm wearing my flame proof suit. :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing