Magico Owners: Any tips for M3 setup?

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I think he said 80 inches mpod to mpod. So, if I am understanding that correctly, I believe tweeter to tweeter it would be probably another foot.

That’s correct.

ecwl

Mar 20, 2021
Winnipeg, Canada
No, that’s not entirely correct. Jim Smith has set up thousands of systems with many types of speakers and this seems to be a universal rule on placement. It’s rare that you would be so far off that ratio and get musically engaging sound.
Except that's not what Jim Smith said...
Quarter Notes #8 (Volume 2, Issue 4) (getbettersound.com)
See under Degrees of Separation. 83% is a good start for most speakers but it's not an absolute.

Moreover, as pointed out, 80" from MPod to MPod is probably about 98" tweeter to tweeter so 98/120 = 81.6% to make you happier.

Reactions: Lee and Audire

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Except that's not what Jim Smith said...
Quarter Notes #8 (Volume 2, Issue 4) (getbettersound.com)
See under Degrees of Separation. 83% is a good start for most speakers but it's not an absolute.

Moreover, as pointed out, 80" from MPod to MPod is probably about 98" tweeter to tweeter so 98/120 = 81.6% to make you happier.

He told me that it can vary based on speaker and room but almost always is 0.82 to 0.84.

If the ratio is actually 0.82 then it should sound good.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
He told me that it can vary based on speaker and room but almost always is 0.82 to 0.84.

If the ratio is actually 0.82 then it should sound good.

It does sound good, as I stated “amazing.’

Reactions: ecwl and Lee

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Can you measure mid-point of tweeter left to mid-point of tweeter right in inches for us?

Lee I’m sorry but I’ll have to do that after my back feels better.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Can you measure mid-point of tweeter left to mid-point of tweeter right in inches for us?

I think Joe can also simply measure the center of one baffle to the center of the other, right along the floor. This is easier and should give the same result as Magico tweeters are in the center of each baffle.

Good luck with your back Joe. I have been there.

Reactions: Lee and Audire

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I think Joe can also simply measure the center of one baffle to the center of the other, right along the floor. This is easier and should give the same result as Magico tweeters are in the center of each baffle.

Good luck with your back Joe. I have been there.
Agreed.

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
No, that’s not entirely correct. Jim Smith has set up thousands of systems with many types of speakers and this seems to be a universal rule on placement. It’s rare that you would be so far off that ratio and get musically engaging sound.

That "rule" doesn't work at all in my setup! I am at 68" and 119", so .57 :)

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reactions: Daverich4

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing