Looking For Information!

Max Kimmich

Oct 15, 2014
Hi all!

I've been given the option of buying two systems, but since I'm new in the vintage sound system game, I have no idea about the qualities of each of them, or which to buy.

Of the first system I do have a bit of information:

* Sony STR-AV910 Stereo/FM-AM Receiver, 100W per Ch. RMS, 20-20,000Hz range, 0.03% THD
* Sony CDP-670 5 disc CD Changer
* Pioneer PL-670 Stereo Turntable

00s0s_ciebxthyyPP_600x450.jpg

It goes for $100

Of the second system I have no info, and the images are too small to even read the model, series or anything.

00s0s_gfwBGOBE8NN_600x450.jpg

00Y0Y_fj4ORCSCIWE_600x450.jpg

It also goes for $100

For speakers, I saw a pair of RCA 100w 3-way for $25 a piece on Goodwill. Cabinets are made out of wood, and they are about 32'' High, 15 '' Wide and 13'' Deep.

Any information on these components/systems? Recommendations on which to get?

Thank you very much in advance!!

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Unless you want the Marantz system and need the double cassette machine, I would get the Sony system with the Pioneer turntable. The cassette is pretty much a dead issue.

Max Kimmich

Oct 15, 2014
Thanks for the reply Gary!
The main reason I got interested on system #2 it's because (for my limited knowledge) I believed Marantz to be a better brand.
Any opinions on this?

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I would say in that type of equipment, the the Sony is better because that system has real separate components, but in the photo, if you look as closely as you can at the low resolution photo, the Marantz really looks like one piece that is made to LOOK like separate components which was pretty common in many older systems.

The Marantz system also seems to lack a CD player.

Max Kimmich

Oct 15, 2014
Sure, but I just Googled some info about the Pioneer turntable and overall seems to be pretty crappy. What do you think? It's Sony's receiver good?

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I don't know about the specific models.

Maybe you can find am inexpensive turntable separately if you are concerned about it.

I would think the Sony receiver is better than the Marantz set-up.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing