LOL! Another Pointless Conjurer of Comparisons on You Tube, for You Tube Audiophile Diviners: D'Agostino vs. Gryphon

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA

I thought D'Agostino had greater attack, the Gryphon was more natural and dimensional. What do our local Diviners of You Tube think?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

I thought D'Agostino had greater attack, the Gryphon was more natural and dimensional. What do our local Diviners of You Tube think?

Interesting. I thought Dag was more transparent and gryphon was slightly darker and a bit less transparent. I didn't think the attack differed, with gryphon the system had a bass boom?

With that music (or sounds, rather) I was really struggling to keep attention though.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Gryphon bass maybe sounds a bit indistinct comparatively but its overall presentation in terms of nuance and venue cues seemed much better. I did think the Dag had a bit more immediacy and maybe it's a bit too tight in the lower end? Hard to say which one is more correct in the lower end. I don't think the Gryphon sounded darker, but that bit of extra full bodied sound that it has can make it seem that way. Like the way turning off a subwoofer with nothing else changed in a system can come across as added brightness. It seemed there were always people taking in the background when the Gryphon was being used too.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Interesting. I thought Dag was more transparent and gryphon was slightly darker and a bit less transparent. I didn't think the attack differed, with gryphon the system had a bass boom?

With that music (or sounds, rather) I was really struggling to keep attention though.
Agree on attack...seemed same if anything having gone back and forth on the 2 tracks...perhaps the nod to Gryphon though too many variables to be sure. The first track music itself increases its dynamic attack as the music goes on...so the end of the first D'Agostino recording ends with lots of attack...and then re-starting the track with Gryphon begins softer again...but it does build again.

That said, I 'recognize' the Gryphon influence of the Mephisto which is quite fun to do (even if it is on recording only which has significant limitations). This mini-comparison confirms that (for me) the Gryphon sound feels more 'fleshy/fleshed out' which is my preference. In general, I have always ranked my priorities, and truthfully ultimate transparency and detail were not first, more like 4th or 5th. Midrange sweetness, bass power, fleshed out sound, dynamic range probably come first, and then the detail of the attack, the intensity of the sweetness and its decay. I also learned that low noise floor have a big influence generally...but that all came after the first priorities.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing