Living Presence

DDB

Mar 28, 2012
...The view from those two window doors?

Beyond those curtains is a breathtaking panorama indeed.
Clear view to the Bavarian Alps in close range ..... this listening room is at 2500 feet altitude and surrounded by nature to match the sound.

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
"There are differences"...Syntax

Okay...it helps knowing where you are going before you get started.

The typical audiophile's pathway, of starting with a part and moving towards a whole, is fraught with potential missteps and a tendency of a premature commitment where one can fall under the spell of believing in "Product Placements" and/or falling into "Group Think." There is nothing wrong with this approach, everyone has to start somewhere; however, IMHO I believe that there can be something to gained from stepping back and therefore reverse engineering the process and finding differences that work from the appropriate endpoint. Hence, when moving from the whole to the part orientation, one will be more likely to follow a conduit that is better-in-kind.

Cheers!
ALF

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
That all in modern times, with the best of modern equipment at hand and with lots of funds in the back.
It still doesn't qualify for any list of good sounding concert halls.

You find that all over...
Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin) said... when they went to Headley Grange (a House) they had absolutely no Plan where to place their Instruments or where they should do the recordings finally. They found a place by accident because John Bonham got new drums, the technicians placed it somewhere in the house and he started to play for a test...and the sound was so phenomenal that they made all recordings in that room... and other Bands followed...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
...The view from the front window and window door?

- Enhancement (from the view).
- Non-linear (mountains).
- Moving (the front window door can be opened).
- Whole (room, loudspeakers, plants, albums playing, and the view of course).
- Part (of the entire synergy).

:b

Beyond those curtains is a breathtaking panorama indeed.
Clear view to the Bavarian Alps in close range ..... this listening room is at 2500 feet altitude and surrounded by nature to match the sound.

I edited my post (above quote above yours). :b

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
Getting Perspective

;)

Listening Room...where the air and the mains are clean.

One of the goals is to eliminate the boundaries and fall simply, maybe even hopelessly, into the music.

Everything else is a "tool" to facilitate the journey, nothing more...no magic machines, product placements, or fan groups will open the door to deliver you where you really need to be.

Cheers!

ALF

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Okay...it helps knowing where you are going before you get started.

The typical audiophile's pathway, of starting with a part and moving towards a whole, is fraught with potential missteps and a tendency of a premature commitment where one can fall under the spell of believing in "Product Placements" and/or falling into "Group Think." There is nothing wrong with this approach, everyone has to start somewhere; however, IMHO I believe that there can be something to gained from stepping back and therefore reverse engineering the process and finding differences that work from the appropriate endpoint. Hence, when moving from the whole to the part orientation, one will be more likely to follow a conduit that is better-in-kind.

Cheers!
ALF

Ha! Now we got it! :b

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side

Ikeda Cartridge

Stunning ability to accelerate.
Excels at textural production in a large authoritative sonic picture with musical flow and a clean, ultrafast top end. No Cantilver, needs an Arm with top bearing, Energy transfer is key ...
The right Cartridge for the ruthless Audiophile, he can spend endless time for adjustments ...:D
But when done right, it is an amazing unit from the audiophile prime time in Japan.

Output voltage: 0.15mV (5cm/sec.45' 1kHz)
Load impedance: 1.0?

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side

This cartridge moves a lot of energy into the Arm. Good energy transfer, rigid bearing, good Geometry is the key for a remarkable Performance.

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
Thanks for your compliments :)

Here are 2 from a System I listened to last year. Impressions...

my favorite one is the one from those Japanese Turntables...

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
Yes, Wilson, I think it is called 'Alexandria'
Their location is Southern Texas ...

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Alexandria and Lamm ML3's, also in residence at our own oneobgyn's.

Last edited:

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
Yes. These are very heavy and made in the 80's.

Record Cleaning Machine

The best investment the analog Audiophile can do. There are different Designs out there, they are different in speed, comfort and - of course - cleaning results.
Not the fastest but the best result (by far) is the point nozzle Design. Developed from Keith Monks in GB.

You will find in the Internet endless discussions about the "best" Cleaning fluid but the secret - at the end of day - is not the fluid, the secret is to get it out of the grooves. Specially when you clean a few in a row...
The solution for the serious User.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Yes. These are very heavy and made in the 80's.

Record Cleaning Machine

The best investment the analog Audiophile can do. There are different Designs out there, they are different in speed, comfort and - of course - cleaning results.
Not the fastest but the best result (by far) is the point nozzle Design. Developed from Keith Monks in GB.

You will find in the Internet endless discussions about the "best" Cleaning fluid but the secret - at the end of day - is not the fluid, the secret is to get it out of the grooves. Specially when you clean a few in a row...
The solution for the serious User.

I'd say you underestimate the importance of the RCM. The machine's ability to remove the last vestiges of the fluid varies considerably. And remember you're fighting physics as it becomes increasingly harder and harder to remove the last traces of the fluid in the grooves because of hydrostatic effects (surface tension increases). That's why the amount of vacuum (which must be always balanced against damaging the LP) is very important in my book.

And yes, it's what's left that is important :) Talked about that 15 or more years ago when did a RCF survey for Sounds Like magazine (you can see parts of it I think on Fremer's website -- or else I think it's on the web somewhere). And fluids have improved greatly since then (as have our system's resolution). But once again the newest enzyme based RCF formulas have shown us that we can do even better in cleaning the record, esp. in reducing surface noise and those annoying pops.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing