Linkwitz 4way open baffle(active)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Rather the cast you in the street they have provided amplification for you.

Last edited:

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
I don't think the 521 uses field-coil drivers -- or have I misunderstood what you wrote?

Admittedly I really liked these speakers.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I don't think the 521 uses field-coil drivers -- or have I misunderstood what you wrote?

I looked at the video again. I think you are right. There does not seem to be a field coil design. I was looking at several videos this morning. Most notably the Burmeister. At $150k it's a little expensive.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Reactions: RCanelas

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
I heard these at Munich HifiDeluxe. They look rather out of place amongst all the hundred thousand dollar systems. However, they were impressive ! I was amazed by the low end extension from the dipole bass arrangement. And their hype of holographic sound was for once actually accurate. Shame Dr. Linkwitz has already passed away, but I hope his company will continue to develop these outstanding products.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I believe I met him at RMAF. He wqe demo-ing the current version. It was also open baffle and you chose your own amps.
He had a nice ear and was able to pick out the non-linearity of the recording I asked him to play. He wanted people to know that's not the way his speaker sounded:)

cport101

Dec 16, 2010

Hello Gregm -- I think the statement was meant to say "we provide you an (multi-channel) amplifier that is suitable and tested with the loudspeaker" for the LX521.4MG -- it is an all active system, and uses five discrete amplifier channels per loudspeaker: one[1] 100 watt for the two tweeters in parallel, one[1] 125-watt amp for the upper mid-range, one[1] 125-watt for the lower (magnesium) mid-range, and two[2] 250 watt amplifiers, one each for the two extremely long stroke 10 woofers. All of these amplifiers are directly connected to the voice coils of the loudspeaker drivers, and the amplifiers are driven by an active crossover that steers the correct frequency (with phase, equalization, and timing adjustments) to the appropriate drivers [impossible to do with passive components]. So it is a an all active, acoustically-small, point-source, open-baffle dipole that achieves "frequency independent constant directivity" between 600Hz and 8kHz. There are no "field-coils" involved -- all drivers are conventional electro-dynamic [magnet based ] SEAS drivers, but which are "ultra-linear", and "ultra-low distortion" in the frequency band-pass ranges they transduce. Siegfried principle design mantra was "remove from the sound reproduction transduction everything that tells the brain 'it is not listening' to something real -- then (if the recording is good) the brain will synthesis the performance from the sonic queues that it is getting -- ergo -- you hear an almost live performance. Once heard in your home, you cannot go back. -- Charles [Linkwitz Lounge East]

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing