LFE channel?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
It's basically figured out. I just need to document!

I do not understand at this point whether a standalone video card will give you anything more than the onboard HDMI output. I need to do some more tests.

Also I have not compared the Sotm USB card to the USB on the mobo. Another thing to try out. Have you tried it?

I am using the older SotM card in the CAPS2.0. I never compared to mobo USB, but this SotM card is an article of faith among the true believers, so for a few hundred bucks I'll drink the cool-aid.

I would be surprised if a dedicated HDMI card would not improve video quality.

I am still leaning towards a two box solution. Gives me more flexibilty and potentially better SQ on 2 channel, and better video with the dedicated HDMI card on MCH. The price of redundant components is in the $1o00 range, which is less than the price of a Shunyata power cable. Also would not have to figure out the JRiver zones setting and switching between USB and AES/EBU output in JRiver.

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Tried out the zone and zoneswitch functionality in JRiver. Works awesome.

I set it up so Jriver automatically switches between my USB/SPDIF converter for audio and my Lynx AES16e for movies!

It's very flexible, and you could also set up different EQ profiles, bass management, subwoofer integration etc for music and movies.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Tried out the zone and zoneswitch functionality in JRiver. Works awesome.

I set it up so Jriver automatically switches between my USB/SPDIF converter for audio and my Lynx AES16e for movies!

It's very flexible, and you could also set up different EQ profiles, bass management, subwoofer integration etc for music and movies.

Awesome. You could consider sharing the design with smallgreencomputer (the guys that build the CAPS). He could build this as standard configuration.

http://www.smallgreencomputer.com/

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
No you can use one server. The HTPC I have built is using this chassis: http://www.streacom.com/products/fc10-fanless-chassis/

It has room for two expansion slots. I have a Lynx AES16e in one, which gives you up to 16ch of AES out. I am just using the std USB output for my USB/SPDIF converter (an AudioPhilleo) feeding a DEQX HDP-4 but if I wanted to use the Sotm USB card I have room for it. The chassis also has space for a slot load optical drive, and I installed a bluray one. Note that subjectively I prefer the USB/SPDIF converter to the sound of the AES16e feeding the DEQX HDP-4, though some of that difference could be attributable to cabling or to the use of AES input on the DEQX vs BNC input.

My HTPC is basically a CAPS ZUMA in a bigger chassis.

I'm seriously looking into the Multi Media HTPC this again. However, this chassis is no longer available. Did you find any other chassis' with 2 expansion slots? I can't seem to find any.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing