LFE channel?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA

To my knowledge, for this type of converter to be compliant with HDMI license, it would need to downsample HDMI inputs to 48/16 output.

I think the Lynx AES16e card will fit in the Zuma, but then you can't use the USB card if you desire it also.

I need USB as well. I'm still back to needing two servers.

In JRiver's DSP Studio you set Output Mode to 5.1, activate JRSS mixing, and check "Move Center to Front L/R." Then in Parametric Equalizer you add "Adjust the Volume" and increase the LFE by 4 dB (since your are adding to two channels you don't need +10dB). In "Mix Channels" add the LFE to the right and left channels. If you wanted, you could copy the rear channels to the User channels, add high pass filters to the surrounds, and add low pass filtered content from the user channels to the mains. This routes the lower bass from the surrounds to the mains. Finally, I would move the surrounds from channels 5 & 6 to channels 3 (center) and 4 (sub) so you could use the first two pairs of AES output.

I know it can be done in Jriver, but you were talking about playing discs from a drive. Can you run discs playing from a drive through JRiver?

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
I know it can be done in Jriver, but you were talking about playing discs from a drive. Can you run discs playing from a drive through JRiver?
I insert the Blu-ray and it automatically starts playback in JRiver. You do need decoding software, such as anyDVD HD, running in the background. However, if you are ripping you are also using some form of decoding software. I use JRiver for ripping the Blu-rays, too, since it imports the cover art and metadata and automatically adds to my library.

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
To my knowledge, for this type of converter to be compliant with HDMI license, it would need to downsample HDMI inputs to 48/16 output.
Since it is converting PCM and not decoding it doesn't need to downsample. I don't know if this is commercially available. It says on the website "The HDMI-2A is now used internationally for audio level calibration by companies such as Sony, Dolby, CBS, Warner Bros, AT&T, Park Road Post etc."

HDMI-2A.JPG

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I hope ctr -- l/r work for you, I have NEVER been pleased with that type of setup. Dialog always seems to get lost with music and effects. It can be film dependent also, which makes it even more of pita.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Since it is converting PCM and not decoding it doesn't need to downsample. I don't know if this is commercially available. It says on the website "The HDMI-2A is now used internationally for audio level calibration by companies such as Sony, Dolby, CBS, Warner Bros, AT&T, Park Road Post etc."

View attachment 9676

Just got a response from the arvus group about the down sampling of the converter

My question to info@arvusgroup:

Does your new HDMI to AES/EBU converter downsample LPCM to 48/16 as required by HDMI license?

Answer from matthew@arvusgroup.com:

yes it does :)

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
I need USB as well. I'm still back to needing two servers.

No you can use one server. The HTPC I have built is using this chassis: http://www.streacom.com/products/fc10-fanless-chassis/

It has room for two expansion slots. I have a Lynx AES16e in one, which gives you up to 16ch of AES out. I am just using the std USB output for my USB/SPDIF converter (an AudioPhilleo) feeding a DEQX HDP-4 but if I wanted to use the Sotm USB card I have room for it. The chassis also has space for a slot load optical drive, and I installed a bluray one. Note that subjectively I prefer the USB/SPDIF converter to the sound of the AES16e feeding the DEQX HDP-4, though some of that difference could be attributable to cabling or to the use of AES input on the DEQX vs BNC input.

My HTPC is basically a CAPS ZUMA in a bigger chassis.

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
I asked a different questions ;):

"I saw the mention of the HDMI-2A on ProSoundWeb.com. If I output 24 bit 192 kHz audio as PCM over HDMI, will it convert to 24 bit 192 kHz audio over AES/EBU? I have a Lynx AES16e audio card which supports 24 bit 192 kHz AES/EBU.

Is the HDMI-2A available in the United States? What is the price?"

Matthew - Yes it will do what you require!

Cost for one unit is USD1440.00 including freight
We have stock ready for shipping
We can do Bank Transfer or Paypal

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
No you can use one server. The HTPC I have built is using this chassis: http://www.streacom.com/products/fc10-fanless-chassis/

It has room for two expansion slots. I have a Lynx AES16e in one, which gives you up to 16ch of AES out. I am just using the std USB output for my USB/SPDIF converter (an AudioPhilleo) feeding a DEQX HDP-4 but if I wanted to use the Sotm USB card I have room for it. The chassis also has space for a slot load optical drive, and I installed a bluray one. Note that subjectively I prefer the USB/SPDIF converter to the sound of the AES16e feeding the DEQX HDP-4, though some of that difference could be attributable to cabling or to the use of AES input on the DEQX vs BNC input.

My HTPC is basically a CAPS ZUMA in a bigger chassis.

Very intriguing. I may ask the guys that build the Zuma (smallgreensomething) to piece this together for me with the Sotm and Lynx card. Does it have space for an HDMI card for video? Did you build yours yourself? Would you mind sharing the complete BOM for your server? Are you using external powersupply? Have you tried some DRC programs yet (Dirac?).

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
I agree, but the Zuma can use the Red Wine Audio battery supply which edorr has ordered.

The HDMI-2A might be a product for use with an HDMI Switcher that would enable external sources to have their sound routed through a HTPC for audio processing. The more you separate the audio/video, though, the more issues you would potentially face with lip sync.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I asked a different questions ;):

"I saw the mention of the HDMI-2A on ProSoundWeb.com. If I output 24 bit 192 kHz audio as PCM over HDMI, will it convert to 24 bit 192 kHz audio over AES/EBU? I have a Lynx AES16e audio card which supports 24 bit 192 kHz AES/EBU.

Is the HDMI-2A available in the United States? What is the price?"

Matthew - Yes it will do what you require!

Cost for one unit is USD1440.00 including freight
We have stock ready for shipping
We can do Bank Transfer or Paypal

What application do you have in mind? If you want the HDMI coming out of a PC converted, you might as well use the lynx card. If you use the high rez LPCM coming out of an Oppo over HDMI, I think it will be downsampled.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I agree, but the Zuma can use the Red Wine Audio battery supply which edorr has ordered.

The HDMI-2A might be a product for use with an HDMI Switcher that would enable external sources to have their sound routed through a HTPC for audio processing. The more you separate the audio/video, though, the more issues you would potentially face with lip sync.

I am hoping the "Multi Media Zuma+" can use the same powersupply. If not, I would prefer using two boxes after all. These servers are not terribly expensive and isolating the 2 channel audio from the MCH may not be such a bad idea anyway... I'll check with smallgreen

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
What application do you have in mind? If you want the HDMI coming out of a PC converted, you might as well use the lynx card. If you use the high rez LPCM coming out of an Oppo over HDMI, I think it will be downsampled.
I was only thinking if someone had a satellite box or something and wanted the sound routed through an HTPC for processing that this might work. However, the external source would need to be able to decode and I'm not sure that many do. I don't think many would notice a difference between 48/16 vs 48/24 for broadcast content.

I would have no use of this for myself, but since I do have the AES16e it piqued my interest.

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Very intriguing. I may ask the guys that build the Zuma (smallgreensomething) to piece this together for me with the Sotm and Lynx card. Does it have space for an HDMI card for video? Did you build yours yourself? Would you mind sharing the complete BOM for your server? Are you using external powersupply? Have you tried some DRC programs yet (Dirac?).

No only space for two expansion cards. You can just use the HDMI output for video that is on the Mobo, that's what I use. I used the same BoM as the CAPS Zuma except with a different chassis. Blu-ray slot loading drives are not easy to find. I got mine off ebay, it was a Teac though I forget the model number. I went for the biggest powersupply there was (a 192W) - it's mentioned in the Zuma article.

At some point I'm going to write up everything about the HTPC build in a blog post.

And then I can get onto experimenting with DRC programs.

Beware, with using the HTPC for blu-ray playback there are some gotyas...for example 1) how to set up the video driver on the Intel mobo for proper black levels, etc 2) lip sync 3) Jriver learning curve and lack of documentation

Also the AES16 is not without it's share of headaches - strange cables, setting up the mixer, etc

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Beware, with using the HTPC for blu-ray playback there are some gotyas...for example 1) how to set up the video driver on the Intel mobo for proper black levels, etc 2) lip sync 3) Jriver learning curve and lack of documentation

Also the AES16 is not without it's share of headaches - strange cables, setting up the mixer, etc

If a pro is telling me this, I take this as a big red flag. I'll probably stick with an audio only Zuma, and when pioneers like yourself have this all figured out do more adventurous things. My PS3 for SACD ripping is still unpacked in the box.....

Come to think of it, I really think your best bet is a dedicated box with the PS for 2 channel audio, and the two slot box for MCH, with Lynx card and top notch video/HDMI card. No cutting corners here!

Last edited:

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
I ordered custom 2' cables from Redco using Mogami cable and Neutrik XLRs. I had them color code the XLRs so I would know which channels were which. One cable has 8 outputs (4 XLRs) and the other cable has 6 outputs and 2 inputs. This way I can use 10 outputs for a 7.1 system with dual subs and active crossovers on the mains. I had the input added so I can use it for measuring since using a single ASIO card for measurements is considered better than separate outputs and inputs. If you ever use the AES16e for a customer, I would recommend the custom cables since the Lynx ones come with too many inputs and are too long.

What setup have you done in the Lynx mixer? I had a demo Lynx Aurora 8 that I sent back this week and I had to make sure it used the AES16e for the clock, but otherwise I haven't touched the AES16e mixer. It was already set correct regarding dither.

If you are getting lip sync issues when using the DEQX for further audio processing, you can delay the video in JRiver (Options > Video > Advanced) . There is even separate correction available for a 24 Hz display vs a 50, 60, or 120 Hz display.

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
I ordered custom 2' cables from Redco using Mogami cable and Neutrik XLRs. I had them color code the XLRs so I would know which channels were which. One cable has 8 outputs (4 XLRs) and the other cable has 6 outputs and 2 inputs. This way I can use 10 outputs for a 7.1 system with dual subs and active crossovers on the mains. I had the input added so I can use it for measuring since using a single ASIO card for measurements is considered better than separate outputs and inputs. If you ever use the AES16e for a customer, I would recommend the custom cables since the Lynx ones come with too many inputs and are too long.

What setup have you done in the Lynx mixer? I had a demo Lynx Aurora 8 that I sent back this week and I had to make sure it used the AES16e for the clock, but otherwise I haven't touched the AES16e mixer. It was already set correct regarding dither.

If you are getting lip sync issues when using the DEQX for further audio processing, you can delay the video in JRiver (Options > Video > Advanced) . There is even separate correction available for a 24 Hz display vs a 50, 60, or 120 Hz display.

Yep I got RedCo cables also.

Lynx mixer changes were required to get the outputs channels to go where I wanted them. You might be able to avoid making any changes in the Lynx Mixer but it is another thing that most people will be daunted by. Plus some of the labels on the mixer are back to front even with the latest version. Having said that it's a cake walk compared to the Metric Halo mixer!!

I figured out lip sync eventually (it wasn't DEQX related, it was something in the HTPC itself) but it is difficult to troubleshoot things without the ability to reference video and audio sources into the HTPC like you would do a standalone pre-pro.

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
If a pro is telling me this, I take this as a big red flag. I'll probably stick with an audio only Zuma, and when pioneers like yourself have this all figured out do more adventurous things. My PS3 for SACD ripping is still unpacked in the box.....

Come to think of it, I really think your best bet is a dedicated box with the PS for 2 channel audio, and the two slot box for MCH, with Lynx card and top notch video/HDMI card. No cutting corners here!

It's basically figured out. I just need to document!

I do not understand at this point whether a standalone video card will give you anything more than the onboard HDMI output. I need to do some more tests.

Also I have not compared the Sotm USB card to the USB on the mobo. Another thing to try out. Have you tried it?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing