Let's Get A Consensus Of The Best DAC's In The Market Today

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I have the 5th Element in my system with the CDT Six, this kit offer the most relaxing and involved Red Book I've ever heard. It's like playing records. I am getting zero digital hardness.

Depends on what you mean by 'digital hardness'. If you mean artificial electronic harshness (think early brickwall filters as prime examples) then I agree that the absence thereof is a good thing. Yet if you mean the absence of any hardness in the sound, this would be a bad thing, because unrealistic. Just two weeks ago on vacation I went to a concert in Austria with large orchestra, sitting quite close to it; the orchestra was excellent. The hardness of brass sound was up to the level of what many would feel, when reproduced on a system, as 'ouch', and though not always in that intensity, I hear such hardness from live brass very often, except in the smoothest sounding venues. I do not find systems that are incapable of portraying such hardness attractive in any way. Smoothness at all costs does not cut it for me. Live music is not 'smooth'.

Analog often sounds 'rounder' and smoother than it should -- some mistake this for greater 'musicality' -- yet thankfully it is not always so. On the very best turntables I have heard, and with the very best recordings/pressings, also analog is capable of portraying the natural hardness of the sound of live music. Good digital does that routinely, under absence of artificial harshness (that great analog can be superior to digital in other areas is a different matter).

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Let us know what you think. Note, I believe there are 3 different AN DAC 5s: DAC 5 Special, DAC 5 Signature...and DAC 5th Element (its not on website, but definitely MC reviewed it a few years ago in Hi-Fi Critic...i have the issue). Its this last one which is the game changer according to MC, and i think MC had heard the earlier incarnations.

Okay, I'll give it a listen...it'll be a whirlwind DAC-auditioning extravaganza this year at THE Show! ;)
There are several 'Level 5' Audio Note DAC's as I understand it. We've been quite satisfied with an AN 4.1x Balanced DAC for years, now.

I haven't maintained an interest in digital technology, except for the recording aspect of it -- primarily. Is there a converter which will process
the multiple PCM formats, natively, and DSD256...natively? I'm thinking this device can be connected via coax cable or ethernet cable to the web
for high-resolution (PCM and/or DSD) program material.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Okay, I'll give it a listen...it'll be a whirlwind DAC-auditioning extravaganza this year at THE Show! ;)
There are several 'Level 5' Audio Note DAC's as I understand it. We've been quite satisfied with an AN 4.1x Balanced DAC for years, now.

I haven't maintained an interest in digital technology, except for the recording aspect of it -- primarily. Is there a converter which will process
the multiple PCM formats, natively, and DSD256...natively? I'm thinking this device can be connected via coax cable or ethernet cable to the web
for high-resolution (PCM and/or DSD) program material.

I think that's a good sign...being satisfied with a component for years and years. I am fortunate to have been able to get a system 'fully evolved' and then enjoy it for years. Zanden is over 7 years now.

As for PCM and DSD, interesting question. I wonder if Lampi does that? I believe Light Harmonic da Vinci DAC has 2 totally distinct D/A chips inside for 16/44 (PCM) and hi-res? Not sure if thats DSD though.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA

Larry Gullman, aka Mr. MSB, says that the company's new Select II DAC ($89,950), which is due in 30 days and will also be active at next week's THE Show Newport Beach, uses new input and output hybrid DAC modules that click in and out for customization and upgrades. Separate modules are optimized for PCM (up to 768kHz) and DSD (up to 8x, or DSD512), which should keep even the most obsessive amongst us happy until DSDx16 comes along.

So, is there anyone on this forum who is considering this DAC for $89,950- ( presumably before tax) and that would like to make themselves known?:confused:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
So, is there anyone on this forum who is considering this DAC for $89,950- ( presumably before tax) and that would like to make themselves known?:confused:

in the USA dac market, to be able to sell a dac at that price and be a serious consideration, it will have to be much better than the $10k-$40k dac alternatives. just based on what I've read from credible sources it's very good, but it's only incrementally better than the competition.

in this market it would have to basically compete head to head with top vinyl and tape to actually sell. which is not going to happen in fully mature analog set-ups.

OTOH if it's the best PCM dac the high price will actually help it in the Asian markets where that premium/exclusive price will make it more attractive. I predict they will be back ordered in Asia.

so even though it's unlikely (but would not completely surprise me) to find a home here on the WBF it will sell.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
I think that's a good sign...being satisfied with a component for years and years. I am fortunate to have been able to get a system 'fully evolved' and then enjoy it for years. Zanden is over 7 years now.

Commendable, indeed! :D

As for PCM and DSD, interesting question. I wonder if Lampi does that? I believe Light Harmonic da Vinci DAC has 2 totally distinct D/A chips inside for 16/44 (PCM) and hi-res? Not sure if thats DSD though.
I'll make that inquiry @ THE Show.:cool:

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
I have at least heard a little of each of these and liked them;

DCS Vivaldi
Computer Audio Design DAC
Mytek Manhattan
Wavelength Crimson
Lampizator (not sure what model)
Luxman DA-06
Bel Canto Black
Bel Canto 3.5VB with REF USB (I own this now)
EMM Labs DAC 2X
Metrum Acoustics Hex

If I could own one of the above I would take the Wavelength with the CAD close behind.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
For me, the best DAC is the one I have, and my current DAC, Lumin S1, is the best I have had so far. In fact, it is a combo file player/DAC, and sounds great on both PCM and DSD. At $12k list, it is 'reasonably' priced. I really like how it simplified my system by eliminating a piece of gear, the power cord, and interconnect cable.

For budget audiophiles, this is my descending DAC list based on what I own.

Lumin S1
Auralic Vega
Bryston BDA2
Bryston BDA1
Benchmark DAC1 Pre
Benchmark DAC1

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I can't believe they don't include the Femto 33 clock for that price...so it's really a 100k DAC with their best clock.:rolleyes:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I can't believe they don't include the Femto 33 clock for that price...so it's really a 100k DAC with their best clock.:rolleyes:

You can save yourself $100k or so buying this DAC instead of that Weiss unit that came out a few years back!! :rolleyes:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
in the USA dac market, to be able to sell a dac at that price and be a serious consideration, it will have to be much better than the $10k-$40k dac alternatives. just based on what I've read from credible sources it's very good, but it's only incrementally better than the competition.

in this market it would have to basically compete head to head with top vinyl and tape to actually sell. which is not going to happen in fully mature analog set-ups.

OTOH if it's the best PCM dac the high price will actually help it in the Asian markets where that premium/exclusive price will make it more attractive. I predict they will be back ordered in Asia.

so even though it's unlikely (but would not completely surprise me) to find a home here on the WBF it will sell.

If what you say about being back ordered in Asia is true, and I have no reason to believe it isn't....it still begs my old question...why ONLY $89.5K??? and why not a more sensible price, like $8.9 Million!!:)

Agree completely that up against a good analog set-up, this DAC is going to come off second best.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia

image.jpg

Any upgrade imaginable . Now even an additional input cost USD3995, power supplies USD20k , clock upgrade USD10k. Reason given when I met him in MOC - didn't expect technology improve so far or words to that effect . What a load of bull !!!

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013

The Lampizator line uses a DAC chip for PCM and the direct filtered approach (no DAC chip) for their DSD playback. The only exception is their entry-level Amber DAC which uses a DAC chip for PCM and DSD.

manisandher

Feb 7, 2011
www.the2ndtier.com
- Phasure NOS1a
- Totaldac d1-dual

Mani.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

At 1/10th of the price

The Lampi Big 7 is much better than the The MSB Diamond DAC IV (even the plus version, with Galaxy Femto Clock option). I had both (and still own Lampi).

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Having heard at home following dacs :
DCS Vivaldi( very close to get one) , Auralic Vega( owned for some time) , Metronome C8, Metronome C8+( impressed indeed), Lampi level 5, Lampi DSD dac( owned for one year) , Lampi Big 7 , Gryphon Kalliope, Audio Aero La Fontaine,
the best in my system and according to my preferences are : La Fontaine for pcm and big 7 for dsd playback.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I couldn't wait to get the Vega out of my system

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
I couldn't wait to get the Vega out of my system
Well, it is still very good value for money imo but agree with you - in absolute terms there are better.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
If what you say about being back ordered in Asia is true, and I have no reason to believe it isn't....it still begs my old question...why ONLY $89.5K??? and why not a more sensible price, like $8.9 Million!!:)

Agree completely that up against a good analog set-up, this DAC is going to come off second best.

I would state that up against not just "good" analog, but quite high end analog somewhere in the $70K+ range this digital would have trouble beating (keep in mind I haven't heard it, but speculating from experience). Analog in general and especially high end analog requires so many pieces the laws of diminishing return kick in more than other components (TT, arm, cartridge, phono pre, isolation requirements, record clamp and other accessories).

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
The Lampizator line uses a DAC chip for PCM and the direct filtered approach (no DAC chip) for their DSD playback. The only exception is their entry-level Amber DAC which uses a DAC chip for PCM and DSD.

Anyone know what Lampizator's setup will be @ Newport...including amplification and loudspeakers :confused:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing