Led Zeppelin

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
If it were true I would be arranging my life around three nights at Madison Square Garden.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
It is too bad. Celebration Day is a fantastic Blue Ray concert, and an equally good Blue Ray audio disk. Last I read, Robert Plant has no interest in a tour.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I follow a cover band called hats off to Led Zep. They are brilliant. I have been to many live rock concerts but they are the best.

I had been to the premier of the launch of the Celebration Day in a theatre where Page, Plant, and JPJ had all come in person. At the end saw Paul Macca a few rows ahead when he got up to leave, but don't think anyone had noticed him till then. But as a Zep fan, Celebration Day was disappointing. Which is understandable given that they had hardly practiced, and that I, Bonzo, was no more playing.

Nothing like their live stuff in How the West Was Won, the Double DVD, the Page and Plant DVD, and the Listen to this Eddie bootleg. Only How the West...is listenable on hifi.

Plant is gone now though. His vocals are gone. He should help Page compose and let someone else sing it. Am sure the chemistry will still flow between him and Page, but that range on vocals is now 10%

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
They last toured the US the year I was born :(

June 21, 1977 was probably their best day for the versions of many songs - my favorite lead in White Summer that day, Jimmy Page was awesome on both that and TSOTR, and Bonham was great on TSOTR and Kashmir - his best

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I very much enjoyed tha Page&Plant tours in 1994 and 1995...they were backed up by the Philharmonic Orchestra from each city they played in. They even allowed live taping.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I very much enjoyed tha Page&Plant tours in 1994 and 1995...they were backed up by the Philharmonic Orchestra from each city they played in. They even allowed live taping.

Yeah that's the Page and Plant DVD I was referring to. I like most of it, especially the versions of Kashmir, 4 sticks, Rain Song, and No Quarter. Michael Lee is actually my second favorite drummer. Pity he died as well.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Yeah that's the Page and Plant DVD I was referring to. I like most of it, especially the versions of Kashmir, 4 sticks, Rain Song, and No Quarter. Michael Lee is actually my second favorite drummer. Pity he died as well.

I had no idea he had died...very sad.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

Oh gosh. Very sad. I very much approved of his ability to evoke the ghost of Bonham in his playing w/out slavish copying.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
We flew to London for the O2 concert and it was far better than I expected. They had obviously rehearsed, and though Plant couldn't quite hit the high notes with the same degree of power, he was 'on song,' Page was marvelous and Jonesy was his unassuming, solid, great playing self. I didn't mind Bonham the younger at all- he's a big fella and has a similar muscular style. I had heard various mishmashes of Zep, post-Zep, at industry events, and they weren't so good. Sometimes, you can't go back and hearing somebody legendary long after their peak can actually be depressing. (I don't want to name names). But those guys were good and I felt, even as a one-off, they pulled it off well. Whether they could really do a tour is a whole other thing. At least we've got the records, mixed bag that they are, sonically. I'm a very big fan of Jimmy Page's work.
If you want to enjoy some of the power and drama of Zep style ala the III album, buy an old Harvest UK pressing of Roy Harper's Stormcock (which I recommend to virtually everybody). Harper was a pretty big influence on a lot of UK musicians, and Pagey plays on at least one of the four tracks on the album. It's brilliant, light/dark, loud/soft, and will scratch the itch if you like the acoustic side of Zep.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
We flew to London for the O2 concert and it was far better than I expected. They had obviously rehearsed, and though Plant couldn't quite hit the high notes with the same degree of power, he was 'on song,' Page was marvelous and Jonesy was his unassuming, solid, great playing self. I didn't mind Bonham the younger at all- he's a big fella and has a similar muscular style. I had heard various mishmashes of Zep, post-Zep, at industry events, and they weren't so good. Sometimes, you can't go back and hearing somebody legendary long after their peak can actually be depressing. (I don't want to name names). But those guys were good and I felt, even as a one-off, they pulled it off well. Whether they could really do a tour is a whole other thing. At least we've got the records, mixed bag that they are, sonically. I'm a very big fan of Jimmy Page's work.
If you want to enjoy some of the power and drama of Zep style ala the III album, buy an old Harvest UK pressing of Roy Harper's Stormcock (which I recommend to virtually everybody). Harper was a pretty big influence on a lot of UK musicians, and Pagey plays on at least one of the four tracks on the album. It's brilliant, light/dark, loud/soft, and will scratch the itch if you like the acoustic side of Zep.

Thanks for the Roy Harper recommendation. I haven't found a digital copy of Stormcock, but he does have 3 albums on Tidal. I'm enjoying his 1966 debut album "Return of the sophisticated beggar" He reminds me a lot of Donovan.

http://tidal.com/album/11678563

EDIT: I found his whole discography to download in redbook FLAC right on his own website! Stormcock bought and downloaded! Thanks again!

http://www.royharper.co.uk/shop/downloads.html

Last edited:

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Thanks for the Roy Harper recommendation. I haven't found a digital copy of Stormcock, but he does have 3 albums on Tidal. I'm enjoying his 1966 debut album "Return of the sophisticated beggar" He reminds me a lot of Donovan.

http://tidal.com/album/11678563

EDIT: I found his whole discography to download in redbook FLAC right on his own website! Stormcock bought and downloaded! Thanks again!

http://www.royharper.co.uk/shop/downloads.html

Nice of you to say so. Let me know what you think of the first two tracks of Stormcock, they are meant to be listened to together. You can also hear some of the elements that influenced Ian Anderson.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Nice of you to say so. Let me know what you think of the first two tracks of Stormcock, they are meant to be listened to together. You can also hear some of the elements that influenced Ian Anderson.

About 15 years ago I bought the entire run of remasterd Roy Harper CDs and they are an amazing treasure trove of eccentricity and delight.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
About 15 years ago I bought the entire run of remasterd Roy Harper CDs and they are an amazing treasure trove of eccentricity and delight.

I may end up doing the same. I'm enjoying everything so far. Takes you to another era, and is very soothing to listen to. It's also not "mainstream" I like underrated artists who don't sell themselves out for monetary purposes.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I may end up doing the same. I'm enjoying everything so far. Takes you to another era, and is very soothing to listen to. It's also not "mainstream" I like underrated artists who don't sell themselves out for monetary purposes.

Mainstream? ha, I don't think he had a mainstream bone in his body. Def. a trip to navigate his catalog.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Mainstream? ha, I don't think he had a mainstream bone in his body. Def. a trip to navigate his catalog.

You mean "has" he's still hard at it today putting out great music.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing