Lector Digitube S-192- AKA MY ears are bleeding!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
The review of the new Lector Strumenti Audio Digitube S-192 in the current S'phile is a great example of measurements coming to the rescue, IMO. In the main review, done by Art Dudley, I read a "typical" rave review of this player. Art likens it to the Ayre QB-9, the Halide DAC HD and the Wavelength Proton---AND LIKES THE LECTOR BETTER. He states..."The Lector did a superior job of separating the sounds of various instruments during the louder, more cluttered passages". Then he goes on to say: "I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the Lector Digitube S-192......and the manner in which it played music". Finally, he ends with: " I can heartily recommend Lector Strumenti Audio's Digitube S-192 for the musicality it deployed in my system, as well as for its attractive casework and its good value for money".

Now IF we end there, which I was tempted to do...and go out for a listen with HIGH EXPECTATIONS, we may be in for a shock!!

Reading JA's measurements and looking at the graphs...WOW!! we have a VERY different story!!! This unit has to be one of the worst measuring pieces of kit I have seen! JA ends with this: " However, the Digitube's truly dreadful measured performance in the digital domain, rule it out of contention, in my opinion". That is IMO an understatement.:eek:

I think this review may be a first, OTOH...we have AD beaming in with the typical rave and OTOH..we have JA coming to the rescue with "possibly" the true picture. Wonder what happened on this one??

BTW, I have a good a'phile friend who owns a Lector ( different model) and he thinks very highly of it. Is it time for an ear bleeding test? LOL.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I love the Lector (don't have it). Highly underrated player, it's a steal for the price

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Not the first time, I think. Didn't the Audio Note UK stuff get the same reaction? Rave review, worst measurements ever?

alexandre

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Your ears aren't bleeding because you didn't listen to it. You just read the measurements. I thought you were going to tell us that you actually heard the DAC in question and it sounded horrible.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I love the Lector (don't have it). Highly underrated player, it's a steal for the price

Well, as I said, my friend loves his too. OTOH, he doesn't own the model in question.
Looking at the measurements that JA posted, one could almost assume that the unit was broken. JA didn't come to that conclusion:confused:

MLGrado

Mar 19, 2014
Well, as I said, my friend loves his too. OTOH, he doesn't own the model in question.
Looking at the measurements that JA posted, one could almost assume that the unit was broken. JA didn't come to that conclusion:confused:

I have a 'friend' in audio design who would say 'measurements, shmeasurements'

Same friend, though, I pretty sure would be appalled at the jitter measurements of this piece of kit, if indeed they are accurate. Terrible, actually. And at a level that 'should' be audible.

But the thing is, this DAC has tubes in it, right? Well, tubes in a piece of digital equipment can cause various measurement 'anomalies'. The sidebands may not be jitter at all, actually.

So, I would reserve judgement until I heard it. But you are right, the measurements do make one raise an eyebrow... /)

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
How many times has it been debated on this forum about the measurements of the Playback Designs? I feel it's one of the best sounding out there available today!

I can pretty much care less about measurements (of digital equipment). All I want is great sound!!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
How many times has it been debated on this forum about the measurements of the Playback Designs? I feel it's one of the best sounding out there available today!

I can pretty much care less about measurements (of digital equipment). All I want is great sound!!

+1. However, the measurements given for the Lector would appear to show that it is broken...they are that bad!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing