Launching at CES 2014: M2Tech Young DSD

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
M2Tech Introduces “Young DSD,” a Single Chassis 32bit 384 kHz PCM & DSD DAC and System Pre-Amp, during CES 2014.

Las Vegas, NV. (Jan. 2, 2014). M2Tech and Source Systems, Ltd announce the world debut public demonstration of the Young DSD, a highly advanced PCM and DSD DAC and Audio System Pre-Amp. The Young DSD is capable of DSD/64 native and DSD/128 native, both supporting DoP. PCM/DXD is supported at 352.8/24, 352.8/32, 384/24, 384/32 and at all common PCM data rates. The unit supports balanced output and RCA SE output; USB, RCA, BNC, AES/EBU and Toslink inputs. Selectable features include analog volume control, balance, mute and phase control. The system remote control works for the Young DSD and USB attached players. To use the DAC as a pre-amp, maximum voltage out is selectable at 2.5 or 5Vrms. Future firmware updates are possible through the Young’s USB input. The Young DSD will be available in late January or early February and advance orders are being taken now. The unit will be sold by M2Tech retailers with a MSRP of $1699.

The M2Tech Young DSD will be demonstrated with Genesis Advanced Technologies at CES in The Venetian Suite #29-309.

Disclaimer
I have never hidden my admiration for the "budget" DAC from the Italian company M2Tech. I used the Young (first one with blue LED in the US) at RMAF2011 and they sold it to me at a very deep discount because I didn't ask them to pay for a room-share. It does not have the deep bass, golden midrange, high resolution, (insert other audiophile terms here), but to me it's musical and as eminently listenable to as my analog set-up. They have taken their time to release a DSD product, so as to make sure that it is a true DSD DAC and a PCM DAC in one box - instead of a DSD DAC that is compatible with PCM or a PCM DAC that is compatible with DSD.

I haven't heard it yet (the first prototype is being sent direct to Las Vegas) but I am optimistic that it will sound great.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Lee, it's still a prototype as the casework and display is not finalized yet, but it's better then the original Young. The balanced output certainly helps.

Here it is in the small system in my room - driven by a slave unit of my G-source, the Young DSD is driving two single-ended components (yet another use for Steve McCormack's Interocitor) - the Roksan Oxygene with the Genesis 7p loudspeakers, and the M2Tech Mark II Marley Class A headphone amplifier. Punching above it's weight.

Small System.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing