LampizatOr Experts: What Lampi should I get?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: christoph and Golum

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
My listening room is 22x14x 9 (in feet).

View attachment 113642

I listen at low-to-moderate volumes and don't get anywhere near the maximum output of the Pass Amp.

@Golum - Interesting that your best encounter with a Lamp GG was with a custom r2r design. My GG1 was r2r and I thought the Baltic 3 beat it hands down, but it just goes to show that a well-implemented ladder dac is a much more organic experience. To tell the truth, I've had a PM from someone urging me to try the SW1x r2r Dacs as an alternative to Lampi.

Depends what tubes you used with the GG

Reactions: Golum

Agent86

Sep 6, 2020
Reactions: christoph

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
On the GG1, I had the stock tubes: KR PX25 and EML 274b

What I mean is, you have to roll tubes as they have different matching characteristics to your preamp. In some systems PX25 can sound good and in some not. Generally PX25, Lampi 45, and 242 should be rolled at a minimum. Same with any other GG or Pac that you get

Agent86

Sep 6, 2020
What I mean is, you have to roll tubes as they have different matching characteristics to your preamp. In some systems PX25 can sound good and in some not. Generally PX25, Lampi 45, and 242 should be rolled at a minimum. Same with any other GG or Pac that you get
Ahhh, good to know, thank you!

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
My listening room is 22x14x 9 (in feet).

View attachment 113642

I listen at low-to-moderate volumes and don't get anywhere near the maximum output of the Pass Amp.

@Golum - Interesting that your best encounter with a Lamp GG was with a custom r2r design. My GG1 was r2r and I thought the Baltic 3 beat it hands down, but it just goes to show that a well-implemented ladder dac is a much more organic experience. To tell the truth, I've had a PM from someone urging me to try the SW1x r2r Dacs as an alternative to Lampi.
Check out the big brain on Braaaad ;) :D
6.7 x 4.3 x 2.7 (in meters)
That is a nice room, not too big and you don't listen too loudly as well.
Are you apposed to tube amps?

We did a 3-way-compare at my place between my then GG 1.9, Goran's GG 2.5 and an early demo Pacific. I clearly preferred the Pacific from the three and later on bought a Pacific while for Goran the step from his GG 2.5 was not big enough for him to commit back then, iIrc.

My friend Michael ordered a Pacific before me and said that his Pacific sounded quite a bit better than the early demo Pacific we used for the 3-way-compare.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
On the GG1, I had the stock tubes: KR PX25 and EML 274b
The PX25 are very good tubes, the EML 274b is not one of my favorites.
Do you still have the PX25?
In case you take your B4 to a GG or Pac owner, you should also take your PX25 along.

What is your favorite rectifier in your B4?
What are your favorite other tubes for your B4?

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Christoph, did you have an integrated amp recommendation to pair with the 93db/8ohm Verity speakers?
Goldnote demidoff diamond extrem seperate power supply 4 transformer 8 chokes 2x 100 watt single ended 160lbs used 8-10k€ demidoff_diamond_anniversary.jpg
One of best ss integrated amplifiers i have heard in the last ten years. perhaps the dealer has such an amplifier or can get one. Be sure to give this amp a listen if you can. big recommendation from me
Usa here

Agent86

Sep 6, 2020
Check out the big brain on Braaaad ;) :D
6.7 x 4.3 x 2.7 (in meters)
That is a nice room, not too big and you don't listen too loudly as well.
Are you apposed to tube amps?

We did a 3-way-compare at my place between my then GG 1.9, Goran's GG 2.5 and an early demo Pacific. I clearly preferred the Pacific from the three and later on bought a Pacific while for Goran the step from his GG 2.5 was not big enough for him to commit back then, iIrc.

My friend Michael ordered a Pacific before me and said that his Pacific sounded quite a bit better than the early demo Pacific we used for the 3-way-compare.
I'd prefer a warmish ss amp to having another tube component in my system. I'm sort of valve-crazy at this point swapping everything around. Unfortunately, I sold the GG1 when I first got my Baltic 3, so don't have those stock tubes anymore. As for the B4 rectifier, one of the points that I made in that separate thread was that I wasn't seeing good chemistry pairing detailed rectifiers, such as the EML mesh with 12BH7 tubes. I confirmed that with the new Sophia Aqua II, which is also a bit on the detailed side, but not as much as the EML. Hence, I swapped in Telefunken 12au7 tubes in place of the 12bh7 and they pair quite well with the Sophia rectifier and the Melz 6h8c.

roadCingKlassik

Jan 4, 2020
did you have an integrated amp recommendation to pair with the 93db/8ohm Verity speakers?
The well respected Norma Revo IPA-140 is on my shortlist . . .

Seldom found used Stateside. But there is a distributor here. No affil

just my 0.02 cents

Reactions: Agent86

jonstine

Jun 1, 2022
So not a single vote or recommendation for the Atlantic 3? Is there a reason why it’s not mentioned?

I’ve got a mildly upgraded A3 Balanced w/ VC being assembled now. Is there something I’m missing? Coming from a B3 w/ VC and Engine 53.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
So not a single vote or recommendation for the Atlantic 3? Is there a reason why it’s not mentioned?

I’ve got a mildly upgraded A3 Balanced w/ VC being assembled now. Is there something I’m missing? Coming from a B3 w/ VC and Engine 53.
Fantastic DAC!
You’ll be super happy - just get proper tubes for it - for me in this model those are Siemens f2a & el12spez.
With those you’re set to enjoy and relax..

Last edited:

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois
Fantastic DAC!
You’ll be super happy - just get proper tubes for it - for me in this model those are Siemens f2a & el12spez.
I’ve also had good luck with the Bendix 6384. I go back and forth between it and the f2a. What does the el12 sound like compared to the f2a?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
That is a "little" far (I'm in Central Europe), otherwise I would have said "grab your B4 and visit me to compare your B4 directly with my TRP3, my Pacific and my Horizon".

But now knowing your preference for Classic Symphonies, I still (and even more so) would recommend you going for the Pacific.
IME, the Pacific is more transparent than the others on your list, NOT lean and certainly not bright. This will help you to more see through the Symphonies, easier than with the others on your list.

I would rather start with the more transparent Pacific and bring in more tube warmth with tube rolling if it should be neccessary (which I doubt) than going the other way around with lean sounding tubes to counteract on a more colorful DAC.

I'm pretty confident, that close to you are some Lampi owners with Pacifics or Golden Gates that would gladly have you and your B4 for a litmus test (Symphonies).
Totally agree with Christoph. I absolutely loved my Pacific with 300B tubes! Warmth, dynamics and detail in one. More warmth and tone more density than the Horizon IMO, which is of course, is also superb with its own set of advantages. Reach out to Fred Ainsley, the US Lampi Importer and chat it through with him. Good luck.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
What does the el12 sound like compared to the f2a?
Adds more bloom and "tooby" signature with not many (if any major) downsides vs f2a - so might be good option who likes this kind of sound

Reactions: Bbock and christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Adds more bloom and "tooby" signature with not many (if any major) downsides vs f2a - so might be good option who likes this kind of sound
So the EL12 is similar to the EL51, then?

jonstine

Jun 1, 2022
Fantastic DAC!
@Golum The Siemens F2A tubes are spectacular in the TRP3! Using them with the new Aqua II 274B and a SR Master fuse. I’ve only got about 40 hrs on all of it, but it is a significant upgrade over the B3 w/E53 so far.

Last edited:

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
@Golum The Siemens F2A tubes are spectacular in the A3! Using them with the new Aqua II 274B and a SR Master fuse. I’ve only got about 40 hrs on all of it, but it is a significant upgrade over the B3 w/E53 so far.
I’m tempted to write - told you so :D

Reactions: jonstine

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
@Golum The Siemens F2A tubes are spectacular in the A3! Using them with the new Aqua II 274B and a SR Master fuse. I’ve only got about 40 hrs on all of it, but it is a significant upgrade over the B3 w/E53 so far.
Great combo :cool:
But please call your baby TRP3 instead of A3.
A3 is Amber3 ;)

Reactions: jonstine

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing