King Cello Full Preamp - all set!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Here's why Chris: you're not dealing with a phono cartridge. One always need to keep in mind the impedance that the head is looking at and usually the lower the better ergo the shorter the length, the better. That one big reason ICs will sound different and make a big difference with a direct out deck. So besides a short length, you want a low impedance cable. One tipoff in my experience is either rolled off lows or highs.

The lower capacitance per ft cable will give you a flatter frequency response. There are trade offs and other complications, but say .22pf or lower cap per ft sounds better to me,more extended highs and "pop". YMMV

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Here's why Chris: you're not dealing with a phono cartridge. One always need to keep in mind the impedance that the head is looking at and usually the lower the better ergo the shorter the length, the better. That one big reason ICs will sound different and make a big difference with a direct out deck. So besides a short length, you want a low impedance cable. One tipoff in my experience is either rolled off lows or highs.

I hear what you saying especially with much longer length cables. I just don't see it making a negligible difference being at 2 feet, 1 meter or 1.5 meters for that matter. I have both 1 and 1.5 meter options. No roll off at the frequency extremes using silver ltiz wire in my system.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Well, after some modifications on my K/C preamp authorized by Charles the residual hum is almost gone for tape reproduction, but still quite audible with phono as source, but this could be my EMT itself, so I will check with my Luxman table once I decide which arm to get for it, not in a rush right now... Compared to the Eros, the K/C goes far beyond in the frequency extremes and is a tad more dynamic, a fair comparison would be the Repro preamp from DocB, something I intend to do once Easter is over.

Last edited:

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Well, Easter is way over and I have done nothing except some additional experimentation with cables, you were all right on the fact that shorter and better cables from the tape head to the K/C play a more significant role here than any other place in the system - a nice 2H12 project to face!

For some weird circumstances that life plays on us, I might get the EAR RtR deck back in my system as well, it will also be an interesting experiment to compare it to the Nagra/KC setup and record any differences.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Well, Easter is way over and I have done nothing except some additional experimentation with cables, you were all right on the fact that shorter and better cables from the tape head to the K/C play a more significant role here than any other place in the system - a nice 2H12 project to face!

For some weird circumstances that life plays on us, I might get the EAR RtR deck back in my system as well, it will also be an interesting experiment to compare it to the Nagra/KC setup and record any differences.

It's always something :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing