KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Congratulations on your speakers! Great looking room as well!

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Hey guys, if anyone is in the DFW area and can lend me a hand to get the Fynes in their resting place for a hour this Saturday, please PM me. I am working to have Bryce at Soundorg to help out as well. As I’ve mentioned before on this thread, since I’m in a wheelchair setting up speakers is difficult so very much would appreciate the help. Thanks!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hey guys, if anyone is in the DFW area and can lend me a hand to get the Fynes in their resting place for a hour this Saturday, please PM me. I am working to have Bryce at Soundorg to help out as well. As I’ve mentioned before on this thread, since I’m in a wheelchair setting up speakers is difficult so very much would appreciate the help. Thanks!

Good luck Keith, I wish I could help you out.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

Like what side of DFW? (I am not there but know some peeps)

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Getting closer…now just need to find two friends to get them off the pallets. Amps should arrive this week.
I guess I missed it. Which amp(s) did you get to drive the Fynes?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Was very fortunate to have @sbnx (Todd) and Bryce Allen, the Fyne distributor over yesterday to get the F1s back up and running. This also included installing the WestminsterLab REIs that just landed a few days ago. Outside of a monoblock wired out of phase, we had sound in around 30-40 minutes. The Fyne packaging continues to be an enigma for a big speaker but we succeeded spiking them on Herbies isolation footers.

Todd then took the reins and started his meticulous setup process, originally aiming to get everything in a position to enjoy for now. He went far beyond that and worked for several hours patiently finding where bass was smoothest and then aligning the speakers. Both he and Bryce agreed that I had two options: a wider position with my head outside of the tweeter window, or one where the speakers are aimed more directly at me. I chose the first option as generally I don’t use a lot of toe in.

The speakers ended up further in the corner than I expected however with zero bass boom. In my former room, we had trouble close to side walls but not here. Bass articulation was best the higher the spikes went. Todd got the speakers precisely leveled and then tuned azimuth and rake by ear. He listens intently for timing differences to adjust. This resulted in a very good, evenly distributed soundstage and center image. Also marked the optimal listening position.

At the end, we lowered the shade on the front right, which has since in my own listening added some body. So now I’ll listen to the new room, amps, etc for a few weeks before the next set of adjustments. What I’ve noticed initially was how much the fireplace in the center of my old room was doing to the soundstage. There is more depth, imaging, and 3 dimensionality here. The result is something more dynamic sounding. Also, bass is forceful in your gut in this setup.

More work to do now, with a rug that can appropriately sized and ordered first. Also the front wall looks pretty bare :)

Again, I’d like to thank Todd and Bryce for lending me their expertise as well as a welcome to the DFW audiophile area.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats and enjoy!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, Keith!

I met Todd in person at AXPONA. His attention to detail, patience and perfectionist philosophy is amazing! So nice of him to help you like that!

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Keith, you made it my friend. A good rug is going to bring some nice dividends. You have the bass now and that is the toughest part. Here's to many hours of enjoyment with your system. I'm betting you will hang on to this one for a while at least until those Steinhems are calling for you:) Love what the F-12's do though.

PS Our amplifiers look a bit lonely on the floor so I may have to order you some Butcher Block Acoustics amplifier stands:)

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
Well, it's been a while since I came to this forum and surprised to see (what a co-incidence) that even you are moving your Fyne F-12 to new place. I just finished moving and setting up Fyne F-12, two days back. Here is the pic. tempImageGDHTM0.jpg

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
I am planning to change the amp. Figuring out which one. May be in a month or so. I liked your set up.

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
thanks for sharing! I see your Fynes are pretty close to the side wall too also with some room treatment.

I have lots of amp experience with them, happy to share when you're ready.
Yes, I will have to properly position speakers yet. May be next week. I am going with Zanden 8120 amp. Waiting for its arrival.

Reactions: AudioGod

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am going with Zanden 8120 amp. Waiting for its arrival.
That was quick! Congratulations! (I bet I personally would like those amps on those speakers.)

Zanden 8120 looks great! I was not familiar with it.

Just out of curiosity how did you choose the Zanden 8120 over other similar push-pull designs in the 80 watt to 100 watt range (for example, ARC REF75 or Reference 80S, Jadis JA120, conrad-johnson Classic 120, Manley Labs Snappers, VTL ST-85, VAC Signature 200iQ, VAC Essence 80, etc.)?

(I am asking because I am fishing in this amplifier pond myself these days.)

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing