KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
That was quick! Congratulations! (I bet I personally would like those amps on those speakers.)

Zanden 8120 looks great! I was not familiar with it.

Just out of curiosity how did you choose the Zanden 8120 over other similar push-pull designs in the 80 watt to 100 watt range (for example, ARC REF75 or Reference 80S, Jadis JA120, conrad-johnson Classic 120, VTL ST-85, VAC Signature 200iQ, VAC Essence 80, etc.)?
I have heard ARC amps: mostly 160S and REF 75. Not with my set up though. While they are good (very good actually), I was mostly trying between C-J ART 150 and Zanden. Both of these instill some fine clarity that is hard to explain. Very linear and right amount of magic in the mids. I listen mostly female vocals, and I think they do the magic I need. I have heard them in in shows for very long time and have had my eyes on them. I think Zanden is very under rated for what they offer. I am hoping it makes Fyne sound with my set up. Have not heard Jadis or VAC or VTL. May be in future. Honestly, my end goal is to go with Aries Cerat ianus essentias. and change pre-amp to Impera ref or ageto. Till I get enough funds, I will play around with other amps.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have heard ARC amps: mostly 160S and REF 75. Not with my set up though. While they are good (very good actually), I was mostly trying between C-J ART 150 and Zanden. Both of these instill some fine clarity that is hard to explain. Very linear and right amount of magic in the mids. I listen mostly female vocals, and I think they do the magic I need. I have heard them in in shows for very long time and have had my eyes on them. I think Zanden is very under rated for what they offer. I am hoping it makes Fyne sound with my set up. Have not heard Jadis or VAC or VTL. May be in future. Honestly, my end goal is to go with Aries Cerat ianus essentias. and change pre-amp to Impera ref or ageto. Till I get enough funds, I will play around with other amps.

That you for explaining the background! Zanden's 9600MkII looks very interesting, too!

Out of all of the amplifiers Keith auditioned in his system (and there were many) my personal favorite was Jadis JA30 Mk. II. I, too, listen mainly to female vocals. I bet you're going to be very happy with that 8120!

And, yes, it makes sense to eventually complete your suite of Aries Cerat electronics with Ianus.

Reactions: KeithR and RaChiK

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
have heard great things about Zanden, more difficult to obtain over here in the States. look forward to your opinion!

Reactions: Ron Resnick

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
More on the room treatment front- a Feizy rug is being delivered this week - 6.5' x 9.5', it is medium pile but higher density.

Also looking at a reclaimed wood art diffuser for the front wall:

If anyone has used one of these, let me know!

I don't now... but I'm saving that link.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Having been a 20-year owner/fan of CJ equipment and an owner of Zanden 4-box digital for 15 years...I am enormous admirer of both designers. I find them exceptional, in that rarified class of performance where magic is concerned.

Ron - I have heard the 9600s before though not in a rigorous test. Magic making and have often wondered whether you would like them.

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
Having been a 20-year owner/fan of CJ equipment and an owner of Zanden 4-box digital for 15 years...I am enormous admirer of both designers. I find them exceptional, in that rarified class of performance where magic is concerned.

Ron - I have heard the 9600s before though not in a rigorous test. Magic making and have often wondered whether you would like them.
You are so lucky to have experienced both of them in your set up. I am fan of CJ too. Every time I am about to change, I always consider them as the top contenders, and never bought one. I will keep my options open on CJ ART-27 or ART-150.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
More on the room treatment front- a Feizy rug is being delivered this week - 6.5' x 9.5', it is medium pile but higher density.

Also looking at a reclaimed wood art diffuser for the front wall:

If anyone has used one of these, let me know!

I took a closer look. Sadly the design doesn't do much as a diffuser. You'd have to get the creator to add more varied depth at least. Still even if you had that done, it actually looks good.

Reactions: cal3713

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
You are so lucky to have experienced both of them in your set up. I am fan of CJ too. Every time I am about to change, I always consider them as the top contenders, and never bought one. I will keep my options open on CJ ART-27 or ART-150.
I really would love to hear the latest flagships from CJ...ART 88 and the CJ ART 27A or ART108A...I am intrigued by their Triode designs. At 160 watts per channel, the 108A is particularly intriguing.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I took a closer look. Sadly the design doesn't do much as a diffuser. You'd have to get the creator to add more varied depth at least. Still even if you had that done, it actually looks good.
Yes, I emailed the designer and they are only like 1.5" thick. Maybe I'll see if he can do 4".

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Well, no response to a thicker art diffuser so I've pivoted to Vicoustic Multifusers in natural wood. I'm going with the shallower, 36 version which also looks less studio-ish. I've decided not to attack the ceiling, and my wife is pretty anti-ceiling treatment anyways. My room opens up in the back to the kitchen/living space so is a good 15' from the rear wall, so no reason to treat that windowed area. The acoustic area is ~18' x 13' x 8'.

So it's looking like my final room treatment includes:

3 GIK Art panels (that I've had since 2009) for first reflections and to the side of the L speaker
2 6' sets of Hunter Douglas honeycomb blinds to solve window reflections as well as to the side of the R speaker
4 Vicoustic diffusers in a 4'x4' configuration on the front wall

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
The Stressless power recliner is really nicely made and looks great in the room. It’s the Consul (L) version which happens to have the lowest total height, but highest seating one.

Reactions: gleeds

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Keith, very nice. your room is coming along.

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
The Stressless power recliner is really nicely made and looks great in the room. It’s the Consul (L) version which happens to have the lowest total height, but highest seating one.
Keith, you're a discerning buyer. Were there other Stressless models under consideration?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Keith, you're a discerning buyer. Were there other Stressless models under consideration?
The Mayfair is nice, too. The Reno was too overstuffed for me. There are a few low back chairs, but all swivels which don’t work for me.

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
The Mayfair is nice, too. The Reno was too overstuffed for me. There are a few low back chairs, but all swivels which don’t work for me.
Thanks, Keith. Good point about swivel. Something I hadn't realized perusing the website. I would not want a swivel either.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
So what's up for 2024? My current system is pretty much done, just a diffuser install when they arrive in January and final speaker placement. After that is complete, my analog rig will be installed. I am very impressed with this new room thus far - has alleviated many concerns moving. Also, the Nagra/WestminsterLab combo has proven to be elite.

As far as speakers I'm interested to hear in 2024?

Diesis Roma
Acora Acoustics SRC-2
Kef Blade 1 Meta
YG Sonja 3.2 (the new version, curious how the new engineering team has upgraded the sound)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing