JRiver MC Version 18

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
This is normally called snake-oil selling - selling products with features that the producer "knows" to have no effect. Yes, suspending cables on platforms would probably qualify also. Ask Julf, he will tell you what is snake-oil & what isn't. Does he consider Jriver's memory playback as snake-oil, I wonder?

Well this is the same as Benchmark and Weiss. They don't believe in DSD though it was added in their DAC's.

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Well this is the same as Benchmark and Weiss. They don't believe in DSD though it was added in their DAC's.
Well these are new features being added i.e the DAC is now able to play a format that it otherwise couldn't, whatever about the SQ of this new format, it's added functionality.
Jriver has added nothing extra to SQ(according to them) or usability by the use of memory playback, only the operational/technical downsides of this addition!
Does this make sense to you?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Well these are new features being added i.e the DAC is now able to play a format that it otherwise couldn't, whatever about the SQ of this new format, it's added functionality.
Jriver has added nothing extra to SQ(according to them) or usability by the use of memory playback, only the operational/technical downsides of this addition!
Does this make sense to you?

Well according to Benchmark and Weiss, DSD adds nothing to the SQ and actually "degrades" the SQ.

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Well according to Benchmark and Weiss, DSD adds nothing to the SQ and actually "degrades" the SQ.
Indeed, but now their DACs can actually play DSD - before they couldn't - it's new functionality, right!
So what is Jriver's memory playback adding to the functionality - they say it adds nothing to SQ?

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Indeed, but now their DACs can actually play DSD - before they couldn't - it's new functionality, right!
So what is Jriver's memory playback adding to the functionality - they say it adds nothing to SQ?

They added something the customers seemed to want. So your issue is with the fact that they are too open about doubting it makes a difference?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
They added something the customers seemed to want. So your issue is with the fact that they are too open about doubting it makes a difference?

The way they see it (correctly in my opinion), they are forced to add a feature they feel adds no value strictly for marketing reasons, because other vendors have convinced the market this is a value added feature. I agree it does not meat the snake-oil criteria though.

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland

No, I just think it is hilarious so I suppose they have added something, as you said - hilarity,

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
The way they see it (correctly in my opinion), they are forced to add a feature they feel adds no value strictly for marketing reasons, because other vendors have convinced the market this is a value added feature. I agree it does not meat the snake-oil criteria though.

"forced to add" is a bit over the top, no? There are many other features that their customers want & they chose which to implement & waste their effort on in deference to other features

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
No, I just think it is hilarious so I suppose they have added something, as you said - hilarity,

See, a win-win!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
So Jriver add features that they see no benefit to, that they don't believe work & that have potential technical problems?? Give me a break, please!

Just so I have this straight JRiver introduced a change, due to popular demand - which has no benefit to the end user (according to them), only possible/probable technical issues as highlighted in their quotes text?? So they are quiet willing to sell what they consider to be snake-oil ingredients.

It sort of negates the snake oil part if they tell you upfront that it is somewhere between useless and detrimental, John. What I think jriver is saying, a bit more softly than I will, is that memory play is snake oil...we don't recommend that you use it, we think it actually causes performance problems, but so many audiophiles seem to have drunk this particular flavor of kool aide that we stuck it in here, with a strong warning labe., to keep from losing the business.

Not great marketing, but brutally honest.

Tim

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
It sort of negates the snake oil part if they tell you upfront that it is somewhere between useless and detrimental, John. What I think jriver is saying, a bit more softly than I will, is that memory play is snake oil...we don't recommend that you use it, we think it actually causes performance problems, but so many audiophiles seem to have drunk this particular flavor of kool aide that we stuck it in here, with a strong warning labe., to keep from losing the business.

Not great marketing, but brutally honest.

Tim
To be consistent then they really should have a warning flash on the screen that "Memory play is a hoax & any user who tries it will not be supported by JRiver"

Hilarious!

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I downloaded mc19. Works great. When will the new dynamic range analysis be available so I can beat Bruce Brown over the head with it. :)

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
To be consistent then they really should have a warning flash on the screen that "Memory play is a hoax & any user who tries it will not be supported by JRiver"

Hilarious!

Pretty much what they did say, they just found a more professional way to say it.

tim

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Radiohead says . . .

Hilarious!!
"Knives Out"

So Jriver add features that they see no benefit to, that they don't believe work & that have potential technical problems?? Give me a break, please!
"You and Whose Army"

Just so I have this straight JRiver introduced a change, due to popular demand - which has no benefit to the end user (according to them), only possible/probable technical issues as highlighted in their quotes text?? So they are quiet willing to sell what they consider to be snake-oil ingredients.
"Dollars and Cents"

This is normally called snake-oil selling - selling products with features that the producer "knows" to have no effect. Yes, suspending cables on platforms would probably qualify also. Ask Julf, he will tell you what is snake-oil & what isn't. Does he consider Jriver's memory playback as snake-oil, I wonder?
"Life In a Glass House"

Jkeny,
I responded to all of your arguments without taking my mind off Radiohead's MOST awesome album which I am listening to right now. You know which one it is?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing