JRiver MC Version 18

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
The other feature I recently discovered is MOCUR cablecard support.
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/CableCard_Tuners

My only gripe is that I've used both the Ceton and Silicondust MOCUR tuners and I've always found the Silicondust to be bulletproof whereas the Ceton will have glitches and crashes. At least, thats how it was 3 or 4 years ago.

This is a killer feature and makes jriver THE player for complete HTPC, IMO.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I really prefer MOG for a variety of reasons. Since there isn't a MOG plugin for Jriver, I thought it impossible to use them together. However, I recently discovered Jriver's loopback feature. I am streaming ALO via MOG in 320 kbps via Jriver loopback. Sounds pretty good!!

Not with Jriver but I tried it a year or two ago and liked what I heard. But for some reason, have not gone back to it :).

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I can't tell from that wiki if jriver supports SACD iso playback (or, for that matter, DVDA iso playback). At the bottom of the wiki page there is a link to this thread which contains a bit of discussion back in 2012 about SACD iso playback not being supported as well as some discussion about SACD_extract to get the DSD files from the ISO. Apologies in advance, but I remain confused.
It will play SACD iso files.

jriver

Feb 10, 2012

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
From one of the links:
Benefits
The theoretical benefits of memory playback are that no disk or network I/O occurs while playing and that CPU load during playback could be reduced.

Sound Quality
JRiver is unaware of any test that shows a sound quality advantage to memory playback.

The option was added due to popular demand.

Hilarious!!

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
So Jriver add features that they see no benefit to, that they don't believe work & that have potential technical problems?? Give me a break, please!
Technical Considerations
With a modern computer, playback of a standard CD-quality file will have the fully decoded file in memory in around one second.

Memory playback will use up to 1GB of memory for cache (capped at 80% of available system memory to avoid swap usage).

In some cases, the work of decoding and caching a file quickly as a track starts could lead to other problems. For example, when playing over Wi-Fi some machines exhibit high resource usage when reading a file quickly. This resource usage as a track starts could lead to audio playback glitches.

Some files like DSD played as PCM have very large decoded data so that they might require more memory to cache than (most) any system has. In these cases, the program will cache 1GB, play it mostly out, then cache another 1GB, etc.

With memory playback enabled, the player will no longer report a real-time bitrate (ie. 872 kbps) during playback. This is because asking the decoder its current bitrate is not possible when the decoder has finished with the current track completely in the first couple seconds of playback.

Just so I have this straight JRiver introduced a change, due to popular demand - which has no benefit to the end user (according to them), only possible/probable technical issues as highlighted in their quotes text?? So they are quiet willing to sell what they consider to be snake-oil ingredients.

prerich

May 21, 2012
So Jriver add features that they see no benefit to, that they don't believe work & that have potential technical problems?? Give me a break, please!

Just so I have this straight JRiver introduced a change, due to popular demand - which has no benefit to the end user (according to them), only possible/probable technical issues as highlighted in their quotes text?? So they are quiet willing to sell what they consider to be snake-oil ingredients.
Supply and demand. Customers demanded memory playback...they got it (and whatever comes with it). Many of us buy cables that cost as much as our speakers, suspend those cables on little bridges, ect, ect, ect....

Our culture has developed to the point that the goal is to give the people what they want (even if we know its no good). Average people perfer a "hot" TV to a calibrated one, they like trimension motion tv (soap opera effect), it's just one added featrue. I wish they would have incorporated automated DRC (although I've had a lot of fun and success with REW and JRiver's DSP Studio).

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Supply and demand. Customers demanded memory playback...they got it (and whatever comes with it). Many of us buy cables that cost as much as our speakers, suspend those cables on little bridges, ect, ect, ect....

Our culture has developed to the point that the goal is to give the people what they want (even if we know its no good). Average people perfer a "hot" TV to a calibrated one, they like trimension motion tv (soap opera effect), it's just one added featrue. I wish they would have incorporated automated DRC (although I've had a lot of fun and success with REW and JRiver's DSP Studio).

This is normally called snake-oil selling - selling products with features that the producer "knows" to have no effect. Yes, suspending cables on platforms would probably qualify also. Ask Julf, he will tell you what is snake-oil & what isn't. Does he consider Jriver's memory playback as snake-oil, I wonder?

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
This is normally called snake-oil selling - selling products with features that the producer "knows" to have no effect. Yes, suspending cables on platforms would probably qualify also. Ask Julf, he will tell you what is snake-oil & what isn't. Does he consider Jriver's memory playback as snake-oil, I wonder?

No, snake-oil is when you claim something has an effect (despite knowing it hasn't). In this case Jriver is being honest about the fact that they haven't seen any evidence it has an effect. It is a sad state of things when honesty is considered hilarious.

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
It's a sad state of affairs when a company includes a "feature" whose only effect (according to them) is to introduce known technical & operational issues!
Yes, it's hilarious!

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
It's a sad state of affairs when a company includes a "feature" whose only effect (according to them) is to introduce known technical & operational issues!

I think you just described Microsoft, Apple and a huge number of consumer product companies - except, unlike jriver, they aren't open about it.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I think you just described Microsoft, Apple and a huge number of consumer product companies - except, unlike jriver, they aren't open about it.

You just described the basic dynamics of what makes capitalist society work. Every now something actually useful comes along, but a lot of economic growth is based on non-value added widgets being invented, bought and sold. Next time you walk through the supermarket ask yourself, who really needs 25 flavors of soda, yoghurt and cereal?

prerich

May 21, 2012
it's one thing to know that it has no effect, but most snake-oil sales men don't tell a customer that it has no effect ;) .

prerich

May 21, 2012
No, snake-oil is when you claim something has an effect (despite knowing it hasn't). In this case Jriver is being honest about the fact that they haven't seen any evidence it has an effect. It is a sad state of things when honesty is considered hilarious.
+1

prerich

May 21, 2012
Ditto again (those companies knowingly release products with bugs as finished works - and are never open about it).

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
Next time you walk through the supermarket ask yourself, who really needs 25 flavors of soda, yoghurt and cereal?

Would you want to have a "regular" soda experience? Wouldn't you want it to be "unique", "personal" and "special"...?

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland

Ah, right, Jriver are a beacon for good business practices - hilarious!

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
Ah, right, Jriver are a beacon for good business practices - hilarious!

The world can always use a bit of hilarity...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing