Joule Electra LA-300ME...

Slingblade

Jan 24, 2024
East Coast
I've heard it at various audio shows which always sounded spectacular with Merlin speakers. There's something very magical about Joule electronics and Merlin speakers.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
anyone have experience with this preamp?
I have a bit although it was with a different version. Here are some tips:

The unit relies on batteries to bias the input tubes of each gain block. Replace them if their provenance is unknown. Be careful- the construction technique is a bit dodgy. It employs V-Cap coupling caps from what I've seen. They are paralleled caps of different values. You might have a tech look into that- paralleling caps in a signal path is usually a Bad Idea as it can cause smearing of the signal due to the different dissipation factors, different extended series resistance, different parasitic inductance and so on, even if the best dielectric (Teflon) is used. You're always better off with a single cap and giving it your best shot.

Tabl10s

Jul 30, 2019
Sacramento
I have a bit although it was with a different version. Here are some tips:

The unit relies on batteries to bias the input tubes of each gain block. Replace them if their provenance is unknown. Be careful- the construction technique is a bit dodgy. It employs V-Cap coupling caps from what I've seen. They are paralleled caps of different values. You might have a tech look into that- paralleling caps in a signal path is usually a Bad Idea as it can cause smearing of the signal due to the different dissipation factors, different extended series resistance, different parasitic inductance and so on, even if the best dielectric (Teflon) is used. You're always better off with a single cap and giving it your best shot.
Thanks,
I guess I'll write off the list. I'll now concentrate on a Kx-r Twenty or
GAT s2 to message with the Dartzeel amp(have any experience with those two?).

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Thanks,
I guess I'll write off the list. I'll now concentrate on a Kx-r Twenty or
GAT s2 to message with the Dartzeel amp(have any experience with those two?).
If your Dartzeel has balanced inputs you might consider that there is a balanced line standard. I've found that most high end audio preamplifiers don't support the standard. If the standard is supported, one of the benefits is that cable artifacts can be vastly reduced or eliminated. Anyone that has paid serious money for interconnect cables can appreciate the value of this aspect.

So when you are looking into preamps and if you are interested in a balanced preamp, it is worth it to find out if the preamp supports the balanced standard, also known as AES48. There are tube preamps that do.

FWIW we've been making balanced line products for home audio use longer than anyone else worldwide.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing