Shun Mook under a turntable

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
I'm wondering if anyone here used Shun Mook Giant Resonators under the turntable plinth.
I'm just about to endeavor into a new TT plinth for a new TT project, and trying to decide on the footers.
The new project is belt-driven, non-suspended heavy plinth and magnetically suspended platter (a la Verdier La Platine).
I do have Shun Mook Giant Resonators already, that I'm not currently using.
Thank you.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I haven’t tried shun mook resonators under the turntable but tried them almost every where sometimes in unorthodox ways. Since shun mook products are resonators it will resonate and increase some frequencies. The question is whether you’re going to like it or not. Around 2-4kHz region AFAIK. Shun mook is just a tweak made to tailor the sound to your liking. It’s no scientifically developed product and certainly it will not eliminate vibration cause it’s not made for that. Probably most of the other tweaks in hifi scene are also not scientifically developed. If you like the overall effect it’s ok but I would use feet with spring and elastomers instead.

Reactions: tima

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
I haven’t tried shun mook resonators under the turntable but tried them almost every where sometimes in unorthodox ways. Since shun mook products are resonators it will resonate and increase some frequencies. The question is whether you’re going to like it or not. Around 2-4kHz region AFAIK. Shun mook is just a tweak made to tailor the sound to your liking. It’s no scientifically developed product and certainly it will not eliminate vibration cause it’s not made for that. Probably most of the other tweaks in hifi scene are also not scientifically developed. If you like the overall effect it’s ok but I would use feet with spring and elastomers instead.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Understood and agreed.
There seems to be a variety of approaches where it comes to plinth support- active isolation, air suspension devices, ball- bearing based ones (Stillpoints, Critical mass), spring based (Verdier), elastomer based (HRS) etc., etc.
Easy to get lost there.
I'm just wondering about that specific Shun Mook experience.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You could try, and as you know I am a fan of the footers. However they will be best used under phono and preamp (if you have space), and for those who are digital, under the CD/dac.

I have never tried them under TTs, simply because people I visit are not going to allow me to lift their TT to put it under as easily as they do with the other components, but also because they will add resonance under table, so theoretically looks like a bad idea, as mtemur said.

You have a friend with a fully mooked room. What does he say.

The SM clamp is very good, but Dalby is better.

I have seen people put mpingo discs under the plinth and around

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Understood and agreed.
There seems to be a variety of approaches where it comes to plinth support- active isolation, air suspension devices, ball- bearing based ones (Stillpoints, Critical mass), spring based (Verdier), elastomer based (HRS) etc., etc.
Easy to get lost there.
I'm just wondering about that specific Shun Mook experience.
I completely agree on difficulties of choosing footers. I don’t know which solution is better.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I use 3 mpingos on the plinth and 2 additional on armboards. IMHO shun mook resonators work best under DAC and CD transport which have outboard transformers. Transformers don’t like to be shun mooked. Obviously amplifiers don’t like it either. YMMV

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I use 3 mpingos on the plinth and 2 additional on armboards. IMHO shun mook resonators work best under DAC and CD transport which have outboard transformers. Transformers don’t like to be shun mooked. Obviously amplifiers don’t like it either. YMMV

Preamps work well too.

amplifier is a bit dependent, I have found it to work on some and some not

Reactions: mtemur

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
You could try, and as you know I am a fan of the footers. However they will be best used under phono and preamp (if you have space), and for those who are digital, under the CD/dac.

I have never tried them under TTs, simply because people I visit are not going to allow me to lift their TT to put it under as easily as they do with the other components, but also because they will add resonance under table, so theoretically looks like a bad idea, as mtemur said.

You have a friend with a fully mooked room. What does he say.

The SM clamp is very good, but Dalby is better.

I cannot put them under my current preamp/ phono as it's bottom plates have a lot of screw heads protruding from it.
I have 6 Giant Resonators sitting around unused and it's driving me crazy.
I might just try them under my SpJ La Luce TT nevertheless
My friend with fully "Mooked" room has an original AS-1000 TT and I can't envision that being placed on anything, way too heavy.
Also DDK wouldn't approve.

Reactions: bonzo75

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Preamps work well too.

I've had GR under the PAss active X-over and it's PS and liked the results. That's gone now

Reactions: bonzo75

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Preamps work well too.

BTW, I have preamp sitting on SRA Ohio-class stand, that in turn sits on SRA Scuttle rack.
Recently tried to place it directly on the shelf, sans the Ohio, and it became pretty much unlistenable in comparison.
Same story with the previous Shindo Giscours preamp.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
BTW, I have preamp sitting on SRA Ohio-class stand, that in turn sits on SRA Scuttle rack.
Recently tried to place it directly on the shelf, sans the Ohio, and it became pretty much unlistenable in comparison.
Same story with the previous Shindo Giscours preamp.

So, I suggest the following:

Place the mooks on the SRA, and the rest on the mooks.

Then, place the preamp directly on the shelf with the mooks under it

Regarding many screw, if you have place at the corners, you can try the resonators in the corners - it is ok if some of the resonator sticks out.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Regarding many screw, if you have place at the corners, you can try the resonators in the corners - it is ok if some of the resonator sticks out.
Good advice. Shun mooks also work at the edges when protruding screws are in the way.

So, I suggest the following:

Place the mooks on the SRA, and the rest on the mooks.

Then, place the preamp directly on the shelf with the mooks under it
Any SRA stand made especially for the equipment sounds better than any shun mook under it. Ohio SRA is great, Virginia is a litter better than Ohio. But SRA equipment racks are not something special. Those are my experiences YMMV

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Good advice. Shun mooks also work at the edges when protruding screws are in the way.

Any SRA stand made especially for the equipment sounds better than any shun mook under it. Ohio SRA is great, Virginia is a litter better than Ohio. But SRA equipment racks are not something special. Those are my experiences YMMV
Agree with regards to stands vs. Rack

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

To my ears Virginia Class is more than "a litter better than Ohio."

"I did several side by side listening sessions. Both products appear colorless to my ears, neither has its own sonic signature. The Ohio-Class simply does less than the Virginia-Class—I daresay a goodly amount less—we have no established sonic scale for differences among isolation products. The Virginia Class offers greater clarity, tonal depth and harmonic fulfillment, better transient definition, pitch definition, micro and macro dynamic gradient and resolution, all of this relative to the recording. Its greater sense of vivacity, ambiance, presence, lower noise and over all realism is obvious; the two platforms offer similar soundstage depth and note decay. I think unless you compare them side by side in a familiar system, one could be happy as a clam with Ohio platforms. The Virginia-Class is clearly superior by a significant margin."

VA_and_OH_2.jpg

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
To my ears Virginia Class is more than "a litter better than Ohio."

"I did several side by side listening sessions. Both products appear colorless to my ears, neither has its own sonic signature. The Ohio-Class simply does less than the Virginia-Class—I daresay a goodly amount less—we have no established sonic scale for differences among isolation products. The Virginia Class offers greater clarity, tonal depth and harmonic fulfillment, better transient definition, pitch definition, micro and macro dynamic gradient and resolution, all of this relative to the recording. Its greater sense of vivacity, ambiance, presence, lower noise and over all realism is obvious; the two platforms offer similar soundstage depth and note decay. I think unless you compare them side by side in a familiar system, one could be happy as a clam with Ohio platforms. The Virginia-Class is clearly superior by a significant margin."

View attachment 118858

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I believe your experience reflects differences between Ohio and Virginia more accurately. On the other hand I can live with Ohio happily. It’s doing it’s job good enough to stop you looking for an upgrade IMHO.

Reactions: tima

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Whilst I remain an enthusiast were Shun Mook resonators are concerned , using them ( Giants , Ultra’s , Super’s ) judiciously throughout a previous ARC system to great affect.

Much to my surprise I have recently found them to be largely ineffective by comparison when deployed under and upon my current equipment.

I can only attribute this audible ( or lack thereof ) phenomenon to the materials utilised through the respective manufacturers design and build ethos of the chassis and cases and for the most part the combined total weight of all these materials and components used to manufacture equipment so inert and devoid of resonance.

My theory being that the Aries Cerat electronics produce less overall resonance to excite the fundimaentals and harmonics leaving the Shun Mook resonators with little if any accoustic energy with which to resonate and amplify into the audio band. The only equipment in the new system where I have retained the Shun Mooks being the incumbent CDP transport where they continue to perform their efficacious thing.

By way of comparison :

ARC REF10 Line Stage :

Weight: Audio Chassis: 23.6 lbs. (10.7 kg)

Power Supply Chassis: 37.65 lbs. (17.07 kg)

Aries Cerat Impera Signature Line Stage :

Weight : 242.5 lbs . (110 kg) Audio and Power chassis combined

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing