"It's hell getting old!"

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
When I discovered and measured my own natural hearing loss, I was upset. The doctor then said: "You are just experiencing your own mortality." Ouch!

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I strongly disagree--and that comes from someone 57 years old. That is an antiquated and wife's tale.You should see the master's competition in all sports nowadays. Pretty impressive performances by these athletes.

Let me show you what some of my 70 year old clients still do. I have clients in their '80s still working out. One of my clients, who passed away a couple of years ago at 82, rowed single scull crew competively til the day he died.

EXERCISE, diet, nutrition, hormonal balance, stress reduction, facing new challenges, are the keys to quality of life and longetivity. And having the mutated version of the CETP gene doesn't hurt either.

I agree with you .. I find myself too much in agreement with you these days .. One more such a post and you will be on my ignore list :)

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
I think we could stand having more female audio testers. What say you? :D

Please leave my wife where she is, i don't want to lose the SWEET SPOT.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Gary:

You doc didn't think a cortisone injection would help?

The doctor in France gave me one, and then had me on Prednisolone for a week. That was enough to get me to fly home. I went and saw a D.O. yesterday, but he didn't want to give me any pills.....

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
The doctor in France gave me one, and then had me on Prednisolone for a week. That was enough to get me to fly home. I went and saw a D.O. yesterday, but he didn't want to give me any pills.....

Hi Gary just to let you know, you are not alone have been with the same problem since last friday i said to myself it will go away with time but it wasn't at the recommendation of a pharmacist i have been taking Robaxacet & Motrin for just a day now and i can actualy feel a difference my back hurt so much i can just walk bending down i'm finaly starting to feel a little better i give this a chance for a couple of days yes your right it's hell getting old BUT AT LEAST WHERE ALIVE.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
---Myles, I'm real glad that you replied the way you did. :b

By the way, I'm also 57, and if I want to (mind power + stamina), I can surpass people half my age (and I did before, and with some of the best of them).
Remember too, I'm an ex-treeplanter (highballer) with over two million trees planted on this planet Earth.

=> My post was more to create vivid reactions than absolute verity. :b

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
I find Diclofenac (called Diffene here) a wonder drug for taking down inflammation & allowing some self-healing to begin. It cannot be used long term as it is hard on the stomach as are all non-steroidal anti-inflammatory analgesic (NSAIDs)

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
There are children being born today that will die painful deaths before I feel a significant twinge from aging, so complaining about aging tends to be a peculiar luxury.

It is kind of annoying that most of my current "injuries" come from TRYING to stay in shape, something I don't remember from youth.

I currently have a complex neuro-fascial injury of my left lower leg that caused some compartmental compression of the peroneal nerve with numbness and swelling to the foot. I think it happened from an exercise machine. It is getting better, but slowly, and I sure miss my long walks. I stupidly tried to "excercise through it" some months ago, and just wound up making it worse.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

By the way, I'm also 57, and if I want to (mind power + stamina), I can surpass people half my age (and I did before, and with some of the best of them).
Remember too, I'm an ex-treeplanter (highballer) with over two million trees planted on this planet Earth.

Besides my girlfriend, there are two things I'm extremely passionate about: audio and training :)

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA

That's really wonderful about planting the trees, kudos.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
There are children being born today that will die painful deaths before I feel a significant twinge from aging, so complaining about aging tends to be a peculiar luxury.

It is kind of annoying that most of my current "injuries" come from TRYING to stay in shape, something I don't remember from youth.

I currently have a complex neuro-fascial injury of my left lower leg that caused some compartmental compression of the peroneal nerve with numbness and swelling to the foot. I think it happened from an exercise machine. It is getting better, but slowly, and I sure miss my long walks. I stupidly tried to "excercise through it" some months ago, and just wound up making it worse.

Maybe some kinesiotaping?

www.rocktape.com

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada

Training is very dangerous my friend got killed jogging, the chances of me getting hit by a car in my living room listening to music are very very slim, i live on the 4th floor.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Prednisone is pretty strong stuff, and you can't stay on it, and if i recall, you have to ramp down gradually. Speaking of injuries while being athletic, a close family friend (he married my wife's best childhood friend) was struck by a wave while body surfing. He is now quadrapeligic. He is actually lucky to be alive, and the recovery is hard, long and uncertain. Everything is fraught with risk. Live life. (And I agree about healthy living, eating and exercise- I smoked unfiltered Camels for 40 years, until I had to stop for health reasons). A year and a half later, I have turned my life and health around dramatically. To be totally mercenary about it, my life insurance alone is now 1/3 of what it was. But that's the least important reason. Age takes a toll. Physically and mentally. The people who best weather the process, apart from having good genes, seem to live full lives, don't eat to excess, get exercise (they don't have to be gym rats or trophy winners, but get regular movement of their bodies) and do something to engage their minds. Change, in my estimation, is also healthy.
And that's where hi-end audio comes in....:)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Prednisone is pretty strong stuff, and you can't stay on it, and if i recall, you have to ramp down gradually. Speaking of injuries while being athletic, a close family friend (he married my wife's best childhood friend) was struck by a wave while body surfing. He is now quadrapeligic. He is actually lucky to be alive, and the recovery is hard, long and uncertain. Everything is fraught with risk. Live life. (And I agree about healthy living, eating and exercise- I smoked unfiltered Camels for 40 years, until I had to stop for health reasons). A year and a half later, I have turned my life and health around dramatically. To be totally mercenary about it, my life insurance alone is now 1/3 of what it was. But that's the least important reason. Age takes a toll. Physically and mentally. The people who best weather the process, apart from having good genes, seem to live full lives, don't eat to excess, get exercise (they don't have to be gym rats or trophy winners, but get regular movement of their bodies) and do something to engage their minds. Change, in my estimation, is also healthy.
And that's where hi-end audio comes in....:)

Usually it's methylprednisolone (the active form and since it doens't have to be first converted, is a little easier on the liver)/Medrol pack that's prescribed. It's a five day course of treatment that tapers off.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Usually it's methylprednisolone (the active form and since it doens't have to be first converted, is a little easier on the liver)/Medrol pack that's prescribed. It's a five day course of treatment that tapers off.

Yes - it was a sub-lingual form that the French doctor prescribed. It was a 7-day course, and I've been off for 4 days already with no adverse effects.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
The best thing about getting old is living life. When I was younger, I was always burning the candle at both ends (and sometimes attempting to burn it in the middle as well). Life was just one event melding into another. As I get older, I learn to live life and learn to let live. I don't stress the small stuff as much, and while life has to be lived slower, life can be lived fuller.

I'm absolutely passionate about my family, music, and food :) Good thing that my family also love music and food.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Anyway, let's face it; the energetic (physical love and all that Jazz) years are behind most of us (55 and over). :D

Guess I'm still a baby then!! :rolleyes:

I was always burning the candle at both ends (and sometimes attempting to burn it in the middle as well).

That's what I'm doing now. The more I spend, the longer my retirement gets pushed out!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing