Is Wilson losing their marketing edge?

I will add DartZeel - sounds great with Maxx3.
And just guessing from the comments of a frequent poster in this forum - Gryphon Audio.

Well my post was never meant to be a comprehensive listing of gear that sounds good with Wilson rather than stressing the fact the these speakers do sound good and with anything that can drive them ... Wilson signature sound will come through..
So Do Add Pass and Dar tzeel. I haven't heard Wilson with any of these :) I know Wilson will sound like Wilson with these ... and will display the particular character of the electronics driving them ...

I will add DartZeel - sounds great with Maxx3.
And just guessing from the comments of a frequent poster in this forum - Gryphon Audio.

you got that right! ;)

And did anyone hear or tried CAT with wilson or Zanden with wilson to add a few more
BAT springs to mind

yes, i run Zanden digital to cj pre to gryphon amplification...i have been captivated by this combination for 3 years now since first ending up with it...and liked it so much, when i had the fortune of being able to upgrade the cj and gryphon to their latest flagships on a sweetheart second-hand/demo deal, i did. i have bought 20x more music in the last year and just enjoying, and am just tweaking around the edges on the system ...;) ok! so not 'totally done'! but hey!...i'm an audiophile too!

The point remains that they sound good with most anything you throw at them .. They did sound even with some AVR ... yet they are also revealing of the quality of the electronics in fron of them... My point ... If you like the sound of Wilson speakers just drop them with your favorite electronics .. You'll likely will hear great sound and this, from a Wilson neutral person

Post 159 made me recall that one of my most positive experience with Wilson Audio was the Watt/Puppy 7 driven by the lttle 47 lab 25 watt gaincard. Front end was the 47 lab pit tracer and the 47 lab top dac.

Hello lloydelee i was considering cat /zanden pre/power amps on wilson , although i very much like zandendigital , its the best i have heard since today.
Your combo ive never heard as gryphon conradjohnson is not very much showed with here in our little country .
It still cannot beat the organic music transfer with good elpees is my opinion so in absolute sound terms i would go for analogue .
I do like your system by the way .
yes, i run Zanden digital to cj pre to gryphon amplification...i have been captivated by this combination for 3 years now since first ending up with it...and liked it so much, when i had the fortune of being able to upgrade the cj and gryphon to their latest flagships on a sweetheart second-hand/demo deal, i did. i have bought 20x more music in the last year and just enjoying, and am just tweaking around the edges on the system ...;) ok! so not 'totally done'! but hey!...i'm an audiophile too!

Last edited:
Hello lloydelee i was considering cat /zanden pre/power amps on wilson , although i very much like zandendigital , its the best i have heard since today.
Your combo ive never heard as gryphon conradjohnson is not very much showed with here in our little country .
It still cannot beat the organic music transfer with good elpees is my opinion so in absolute sound terms i would go for analogue .

Thought Herman brought cj into your country?

Yes, but as far as i know its only shown here in the shops connected to durob , which are totally on the other side of the country of where i live.
Ive never heard of any The Gryphon demonstration here either , there seems to be an overall importer of belgium/ luxemburg /holland
Same with convergent its only shown by 1 dealer as far as i know , with no official dutch importer , its been handled by the german importer
Wilson is getting kind of a revival here lately , i read , it depends a lot of what dealers do
Wilson and krell were doomed by a lot of them over the years , there is more of a market here for low powered" cheap" (tube) systems , i guess most of the " dutch" think hey if its all about the first watt , why in the hell spend more:D
I am not very much connected to the industry overhere, there is a lot of politics involved
I could see myself doing something with CAT , but the market is simply too small .

Last edited:
Heard the big MAXX 3 today. Driven by the new Audio Research Monos and Pre. Cabling MIT (new models); CD: latest Spectral. I was quite unfamiliar with Wilson.
I heard someone say that listening to a Magico Q5 is listening with the brain and listening to Wilson is with the heart....or something in that line. I have to agree. But I also liked the Q5 (now don't tell me I am a brainy person :p). But the Wilson had SLAM. And considering the lower frequency department: the Maxx kicks the Magico sooooooo hard in the butt....it almost makes me feel sorry for Alon .... almost ;)
BTW, it was nice to listen to Peter McGrath, really seems a nice guy.

Andromeda,

I have never compared my Zanden directly to LP...but i did once compare Klimax DS digital to LP directly. I was not in love with the Klimax DS DAC...but when they put the LP on, it was not close in any event. Not close at all. Wow.

I have promised myself never to do tape or LP...because then i split my resources and also have to buy different music...i prefer to get the best digital i can afford and that's it. I know i am missing something...but i do not mind...and with over 1,000cds, i am not goint to start buying lp's or tapes. ;)

Yes, but as far as i know its only shown here in the shops connected to durob , which are totally on the other side of the country of where i live.
Ive never heard of any The Gryphon demonstration here either , there seems to be an overall importer of belgium/ luxemburg /holland
Same with convergent its only shown by 1 dealer as far as i know , with no official dutch importer , its been handled by the german importer
Wilson is getting kind of a revival here lately , i read , it depends a lot of what dealers do
Wilson and krell were doomed by a lot of them over the years , there is more of a market here for low powered" cheap" (tube) systems , i guess most of the " dutch" think hey if its all about the first watt , why in the hell spend more:D
I am not very much connected to the industry overhere, there is a lot of politics involved
I could see myself doing something with CAT , but the market is simply too small .

If you can hear a good, transparent tube preamp with very pure tonality and can combine it with enormous SS CLass A, i would definitely recommend you at least listen to the combination. For me, it combines the tonal purity which i value highest above all...with effortless and unlimited dynamics (both micro and macro)...which gives me shading, detail, decay and also effortless delivery of power, slam but also string attack, etc.

Heard the big MAXX 3 today. Driven by the new Audio Research Monos and Pre. Cabling MIT (new models); CD: latest Spectral. I was quite unfamiliar with Wilson.
I heard someone say that listening to a Magico Q5 is listening with the brain and listening to Wilson is with the heart....or something in that line. I have to agree. But I also liked the Q5 (now don't tell me I am a brainy person :p). But the Wilson had SLAM. And considering the lower frequency department: the Maxx kicks the Magico sooooooo hard in the butt....it almost makes me feel sorry for Alon .... almost ;)
BTW, it was nice to listen to Peter McGrath, really seems a nice guy.

Thanks for posting...that is probably one of the first comparisons between the upper end Magicos and upper end Wilsons that i have seen. thanks again.

But the Wilson had SLAM. And considering the lower frequency department: the Maxx kicks the Magico sooooooo hard in the butt....it almost makes me feel sorry for Alon .... almost ;)

Don't think you need to feel sorry for him. Not everyone is looking for SLAM when listening to a cello. BTW, a $2000 JBL will have more SLAM then Magico, no need to spend $60K on a boom box:D

I have promised myself never to do tape or LP...because then i split my resources and also have to buy different music...i prefer to get the best digital i can afford and that's it. I know i am missing something...but i do not mind...and with over 1,000cds, i am not goint to start buying lp's or tapes. ;)

For those without an unlimited budget, I think this is a very sensible approach! I do the same, except (of course) I've gone down the vinyl-only path (for serious listening).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing